What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cameron Smith

What will happen to Cam Smith?

• Charged - found guilty at judiciary and misses 1 or 2 matches

Votes: 131 61.8%
  • Charged - found guilty but downgraded, misses 0 matches

Votes: 29 13.7%
  • Charged - found innocent

Votes: 23 10.8%
  • Not Charged

Votes: 29 13.7%

• Total voters

Rocky Rabbit

Juniors
Not sure if this has been brought up or not and if so i m sorry....but lets say Cam gets 2 weeks and the Storm lose this week will his other week be used up in the world cup???

David Fa'alogo for souths was suspended in the last game of the regular season last year for 6 or 7 matches and Souths tried to use the fact he WOULD of been selected for NZ to have them used as suspended matches and were not allowed.

Even though he was the Australian captain due to Lockyear being out why will his suspension carry over into World Cup and not start in round 1. I think Hayne had the same thing where he would of been selected for NSW but was suspended and couldnt sit out the Origin as his suspension (i think)

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
there's been different rulings over time in regards to what happens there. If he is named in the final squad, then he may be able to play out his suspension through the world cup, although it is difficult to determine which games he would play.

Usually, a club suspension rules you out of all games until your suspension is cleared. thus, if he is suspended until Round 1 next year, then he misses all footy until then, at any level.

But again, it depends solely on the judiciary

magic1132

Juniors
Pretty sure that he will miss part of the world cup, any suspension carried into next year will be burnt up in the trials, plus you couldn't have a player ineligble for club footy but still play rep footy. The Hayne situation was different, he was not going to be selected for the blues, Parra pick and he serves the suspension and then the blues select him after that game

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/09/23/2371972.htm?section=sport

'Anti-Melbourne' campaign led to Smith charge

Storm chief executive Brian Waldron says Cameron Smith's grapple tackle charge is the result of a campaign against the Melbourne-based NRL club.

Smith was cited for a high tackle on Brisbane's Sam Thaiday and will miss the rest of the season if he is unable to overturn the charge at the judiciary tomorrow night.

Melbourne plays Cronulla in a preliminary final in Sydney on Friday night.

Mr Waldron says the Storm's recent success has not been popular with the traditional NRL power base in Sydney.

"There's been a series of tackles made over the journey that for whatever reasons have been highlighted this weekend, and there's no doubt there's a bit of an anti-Melbourne feeling up there, they don't like us winning," he said.

Mr Waldron the club will do all it can to appeal Smith's suspension and keep the Storm skipper in the side of the finals.

"[There has been a] prolonged campaign to see something done as they sit up there in the Sydney markets, so they've got their wish and yeah we're disappointed," he said.

"But we'll probably will more than likely we'll be fronting the judiciary tomorrow night."

:roll:

coolumsharkie

Referee
Can't say I blame Storm management for trying to smoke screen the judiciary. I'm sure all clubs would be out there doing it at this time of year.

Rocky Rabbit

Juniors
there's been different rulings over time in regards to what happens there. If he is named in the final squad, then he may be able to play out his suspension through the world cup, although it is difficult to determine which games he would play.

Usually, a club suspension rules you out of all games until your suspension is cleared. thus, if he is suspended until Round 1 next year, then he misses all footy until then, at any level.

But again, it depends solely on the judiciary

Thanks Unit.

But how can he be named in the final squad if he is suspended??

I know its a massive thing that he could possibly miss a GF and a world cup but if a precedent has been set with the Fa'alogo incident ( i know Russ got a letter sent from NZRL stating he would of been selected for every game ) and this was turned down how can Smith be selected if his suspension hasnt been served yet?

I know im getting ahead of myself but its just a thought

God-King Dean

Immortal
Can someone please tell me what Brownie said, I have totally missed this part of the intriguing saga!!:crazy:

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=206794&highlight=brown

Best I can find for now.

Basically Waldron threatened to sue Brown for suggesting Storm use illegal & dangerous tactics.

Said they'd consider legal action over 48 hours, & will only back down if Brown apologized. No apology came... still waiting for the lawsuit to be filed.

Basically... Waldrons a softcock.