What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cap disaster: Eels have no room to rebuild

lingard

Coach
Not by me. The Club already has the most experienced CEO in the League, despite what people on here think of him. (But I am that bloke 'yonder dressed in black' :lol:)

Parra Pete. Everyone and his dog blames Michael Hagan for the recruitment/retention 'stuff-ups'. It`s become common knowledge, like the sun revolves around the earth: "Michael Hagan`s the one who got us into this mess!" Hell, it`ll probably be taught in primary schools soon.
Then this Andrew Hill fella gets introduced into the mix, and now it`s Michael Hagan and Andrew Hill. It`s all their fault. Well, what I`d like to know is: what part did Dennis Fitzgerald play in all of this? He could not POSSIBLY just have sat there and "signed the cheques" as some people have said. He MUST have had some input into our retention and recruitment decisions. Surely.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
I'm lead to believe that Guru is on 180K...

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21424683-23214,00.html

Grothe wants to be a Wallaby

By Dean Ritchie and Peter Jenkins
March 22, 2007
PARRAMATTA star Eric Grothe is poised to become the second Australian rugby league star in a week to quit the NRL and join rugby union, in a deal worth $1.3 million.
Grothe is believed to be just days from agreeing a lucrative package worth up to $440,000 a season to represent New South Wales and Australia.
Grothe's imminent defection comes after Eels teammate Timana Tahu agreed to walk out on rugby league for the ARU at the end of this season.
The ARU will offer Grothe a base contract worth $280,000 a season.
Match incentives and Wallabies Test match payments will add $160,000 to the deal, taking Grothe's final figure to $440,000.

that's how his manager managed contract negotiations to force parra to stump up, guru later admitted he was never interested in moving.

Delboy

First Grade
Lingard, the tendency to hypothesise that DF is to blame is off the beam. All NRL clubs give their coach the automony to sign etc, the major play that the CEO makes is to ensure that the cap isn't broken.

I understand DF has in the past made a few adjustments etc, Piggy comes to mind when BS was prepared to up his contract and extend it, but generally you don't pay the organ grinder and then make his decisions for him.

Sorry to say that Hagan was repsonsible for almost all of what is currently facing the club, Andrew Hill was a junior/rookie manager at the time and probably did his best to support the coach. Defend who you like and blame whoever, but the facts are plain and simple, the coach recruits and hires , the CEO ensures that funds are available, end of story.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
the aru later went into damage control about screening league player's genuine interest in rugby because of how eric (his manager) used them as a bargaining tool

Stagger eel

Staff member
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21424683-23214,00.html

Grothe wants to be a Wallaby

By Dean Ritchie and Peter Jenkins
March 22, 2007
PARRAMATTA star Eric Grothe is poised to become the second Australian rugby league star in a week to quit the NRL and join rugby union, in a deal worth $1.3 million.
Grothe is believed to be just days from agreeing a lucrative package worth up to $440,000 a season to represent New South Wales and Australia.
Grothe's imminent defection comes after Eels teammate Timana Tahu agreed to walk out on rugby league for the ARU at the end of this season.
The ARU will offer Grothe a base contract worth $280,000 a season.
Match incentives and Wallabies Test match payments will add $160,000 to the deal, taking Grothe's final figure to $440,000.

that's how his manager managed contract negotiations to force parra to stump up, guru later admitted he was never interested in moving.

yes, I'm aware of what's been reported, and I was told by someone close to the club that the figure that was reported was rubbish....I'd rather believe them than some news paper article.

lingard

Coach
I'm going to stick my neck out right now and say:

Daniel Anderson was a brilliant signing. I truly, honestly believe he's the man to take us forward. He's a brilliant tactician, loves the club and will get the best out of our mob.

His only inconvenience is not being able to build the team exactly he wants due to salary cap issues, but I honestly believe the man is good enough to rise above it.

So do I. He`s got the weakest roster in the NRL. I`ll bet if he didn`t have strong ties to the Parramatta area, the Eels would have been the last NRL side he`d have chosen to coach. But I, too, think he can rise above it.

Lingard, the tendency to hypothesise that DF is to blame is off the beam. All NRL clubs give their coach the automony to sign etc, the major play that the CEO makes is to ensure that the cap isn't broken.

Absolutely. With pretty much every team, the coach gets the players he wants. This means he needs to negotiate their salaries etc.

But hey, just blame DF. Everybody does for everything, so what's the difference here?

Stagger eel

Staff member
and wouldn't his father have negotiated that deal?

tbh..I'm not really sure what the arrangement was, I actually think that him and Spagnolo nutted out the deal with the club..but I could be wrong, I just know that when i spoke to my contact regarding the reported figure he literally laughed at my face and said in no uncertain terms that he's on no where near what's reported.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
yes, I'm aware of what's been reported, and I was told by someone close to the club that the figure that was reported was rubbish....I'd rather believe them than some news paper article.

all due respect to your friend mate, but

1. the pat wilson acknowledged the aru did talk to him, or was at least reffered by the waratahs. as you know any potential player reffered to the aru is for the purpose of seeking an aru top up to the minimum super 14 contract of 120 odd k. unless you think the aru was brought in it to try and top up 60k, something doesn't stack up champ.

2. dean ritchie is a fairly respected league journo. pretty massive ballsup for him to go run with speculation about a 440k per season deal if the figure of 180k you are claiming is correct. again doesn't stack up.

dean ritchie wasn't the only journo to report those numbers also.

but i guess your "mate" will make me reconsider my logic :roll:

lingard

Coach

I understand DF has in the past made a few adjustments etc, Piggy comes to mind when BS was prepared to up his contract and extend it, but generally you don't pay the organ grinder and then make his decisions for him.

Sorry to say that Hagan was repsonsible for almost all of what is currently facing the club, Andrew Hill was a junior/rookie manager at the time and probably did his best to support the coach. Defend who you like and blame whoever, but the facts are plain and simple, the coach recruits and hires , the CEO ensures that funds are available, end of story.

I wasn`t trying to defend Hagan or deflect blame from him. I`m willing to accept that Hagan was largely responsible for it now. All I`m asking is: wouldn`t Fitzgerald have some say in recruitment? Some input? He surely wouldn`t just mindlessly sign cheques would he?

Stagger eel

Staff member
I wasn`t trying to defend Hagan or deflect blame from him. I`m willing to accept that Hagan was largely responsible for it now. All I`m asking is: wouldn`t Fitzgerald have some say in recruitment? Some input? He surely wouldn`t just mindlessly sign cheques would he?

Dennis signs the cheques and has queried them, as he did to Riddell's contract, but hasn't had say about the make up of the squad since 1997...that bit is a fact.

Delboy

First Grade
I am no fan of DF either in some ways, but he has always said that the coach has full reposnsibility and I believe he put that in place and kept his word.

If you are saying that he could have done more, probably you have a point, but it would be difficult to overrule the appointed, more to the point is that he hired Hagan without duing due diligence etc.

If you think about it, that decision coupled with some remarks relating to the club wouldn't survive etc has led to his downfall, that is quite ironic , he felt that it was his way or the highway..... well we wll now know what route he ended up takinbg