What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cap disaster: Eels have no room to rebuild

forward pass

Coach
I haven't read all 10 pages, and this may have been covered, but how did we manage to make an offer to Crocker given this article???

Eels Dude

Coach
I can't see why anyone can blame Daniel Anderson for any of this. He's inherited this side and even thouigh he's been here for a little while now, during the off season he was never going to be able to work out finances and observe how well the players are going. It's not like you can just kick Cayless out the back door and say "see you later". He's got a contract and if he wants the club to honour it they have to. If he is on a backended deal, why the hell would he want to leave when the time comes round for him to get the bulk of his money.

Hagan, Hill and DF have to sahre the blame equally for what has happened. Fitzgerald has always stated that it is the coach who has autonomy over who to sign and who to re-sign. He should be blamed for having this policy, and Hagan should be blamed for making the poor decisions. I remember Hagan once saying that when he was at Newcastle, they used to spend something like 90% of the cap on their best 12 or 13 players, and the remainder of their squad would just get the mimimum wage.

parra pete

Referee
Bring back residential rules. Play for the Club that raised you, and for the same amount for each player. Take the money issue out of the picture and let loyalty and development rule which is the best side.
Buying premierships...is it really worth it?

eel4life

Juniors
FMD ... Hagan prob had to sign players like he did because we had no option to, look at the players we had signed from 2004 ... we could of been in a mess for a long time and only now it just goes to show how much of a mess we are in ...

2005, 2006, 2007 were wasted years in terms of we had a team that was paid well and they did not win, it was a gamble and if we won a premiership then these years now would be seen as re building for a premiership in a 5 year period.

there are some tough calls to be made on existing players in the team, and what they offer ...

Burt
Lowrie
Oake
Weller
Cordoba

these guys are prob on average on about 120 K each maybe that could be 600K off, plus this was known form the Season Ticket Holder forum last year to why we couldnt afford new players was not because we are losing money is because we have stuffed up in what we have signed, released and so forth.

if we are struggling on the player wages then the football club board and management should be held responsible, they all have stuffed it, now Anderson and the new board have to fix it, otherwise they will be next in line ...

every 5 years we should have a team that can win a premiership the job is a massive one, but it takes time hopefully this year the younger generation will step up and hopefully kick on not to make it as bad as it seems ...

The Colonel

Immortal
I can't see why anyone can blame Daniel Anderson for any of this. He's inherited this side and even thouigh he's been here for a little while now, during the off season he was never going to be able to work out finances and observe how well the players are going. It's not like you can just kick Cayless out the back door and say "see you later". He's got a contract and if he wants the club to honour it they have to. If he is on a backended deal, why the hell would he want to leave when the time comes round for him to get the bulk of his money.

Hagan, Hill and DF have to sahre the blame equally for what has happened. Fitzgerald has always stated that it is the coach who has autonomy over who to sign and who to re-sign. He should be blamed for having this policy, and Hagan should be blamed for making the poor decisions. I remember Hagan once saying that when he was at Newcastle, they used to spend something like 90% of the cap on their best 12 or 13 players, and the remainder of their squad would just get the mimimum wage.

We must have seven or eight very lucky boys in our team then....:lol:

Most clubsare doing that now - it is pretty much what has brought success to Manly and Melbourne. But it has left us in a very difficult situation.

The blame can't all be layed at the feet of Anderson, no. But they still need to do something to improve the situation.

Delboy

First Grade
Colonel, I am reading this from London, where the weather is cr*p, the TV is awful and train fares are daylight robbery at least my daughter and her family is here packing to come home after a few years working here.

It would be ridiculous to put any blame on DA, I am aware that the staff are working very long hours to try and work out the issues left behind by supercoach. From the moment DA walked into the club, he was terrififed of the roster and payment situation, I heard that they had 2011 as the real target for some recruitment with some work to be done for 2010,have faith in DA.

Having a little knowledge I am gobsmacked how much some of the players were resigned for nder MH, and I am not talking about the top 10 or so. Anyway, when you have a disinterested coach and a rookie manager who possibly couldn't question much, you end up with what we have.

Thank goodness we have some changes at the club, particularly at NRL level to sort it out over time. Never underestimate the absolute c**k up that the roster and cap was left in when the F3 got its final workout.

bartman

Immortal
Back-ended contracts should only be offered to stars (ie rep level) where you can be confident they will get better and merit the money with age (ie toward the start of their career).

Seems we're in a whole word of pain now because of the impacts of contracts signed in the past. We need to lose further playing strenmgth and experience from the squad as players contracts come due, even though in the last year or so we've lost Tim Smith, Riddell, Wagon, Robinson, Finch, etc... all $200K-ish guys on average, you'd expect.

I'm concerned how much of these short-sighted, back-ended and overpaid contracts happened on Zappia's watch, given he seems the annointed one people want to see back at the club?

parra pete

Referee
Back-ended contracts should only be offered to stars (ie rep level) where you can be confident they will get better and merit the money with age (ie toward the start of their career).

Seems we're in a whole word of pain now because of the impacts of contracts signed in the past. We need to lose further playing strenmgth and experience from the squad as players contracts come due, even though in the last year or so we've lost Tim Smith, Riddell, Wagon, Robinson, Finch, etc... all $200K-ish guys on average, you'd expect.

I'm concerned how much of these short-sighted, back-ended and overpaid contracts happened on Zappia's watch, given he seems the annointed one people want to see back at the club?

Not by me. The Club already has the most experienced CEO in the League, despite what people on here think of him. (But I am that bloke 'yonder dressed in black' :lol:)

cgee221

Juniors
This news is disgraceful.

I'm very tempted to start a march down to Parramatta football headquarters to demand an explanation. To suggest we have little to no money is unacceptable.

I knew these players were being overpaid but honestly....I think we need to given Hagan, Hill and Fitzgerald all a piece of our mind. I think it starts with a long letter to the Daily Telegraph addressed to the former coach.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Hagan hasn't been at the club since November...just let it go! blame him all you want but he's no longer on our pay roll and doesn't have to answer to any questions.

born an eel

Bench
.......................................?
maybe we should sign someone straight from a school like Parra Marist and keep them around for 10+ years and even though they become one of the youngest captains for their country we ask them to stay around on less money then they are worth but will make up for it later in their career when more money is available. You never know one day they might become a world cup winning captain and represent us with distinction throughout their career.

bart1987

Juniors
Hi all,
After reading all now eleven pages and not seeing anything on this I was wondering if they were looking at Peters and Bell and look to have the Keating brothers as our halves combination.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I think Matt Keatings best position is at hooker. He is getting consistantly better there and he is a potential Origin player the rate he is going. Possible future captain to maybe.

cgee221

Juniors
Fair enough in that regard Stagger, he is the past, but it was his decision-making that is affecting our present and now it seems, future. That's what's grinding my gears. It's the snowball affect. I couldn't give a hoot if Hagan and his decisions weren't going to affect us next year, but this article is suggesting that they are. His bad work is living on and the media and not as knowledgeable fans are going to get on Anderon's case as though he will have something to answer for.

My concerns are that Hagan has set up Anderson to fail. I mean it is very premature to say that this season and next we wont win the premiership or be in the finals, but at current, we have not proved beyond any reasonable doubt that our immediate on field future is going to break that premiership drought, and it is a result of poor player retention and recruitment. Which is what Hagan, Hill and Fitzgerald have been responsible for. Fitzy has stated that it is solely the coach's responsibility on who he wants and for how much. With Hill and Fitzgerald drawing up the contract and its KPI'S, requirements, etc. Correct me if I'm wrong here?

I understand what you're saying in that he is gone and we can't hold him accountable because he is no longer with us and you're a 100% correct. It's just that I for one and I'm sure many others feel that our club has been cheated a couple of years of potential success because of Hagan and co. incompetancy.

What I said in my previous post was just a knee-jerk reaction. I'm not going to do any of those things lol....but I do feel annoyed that Hagan made the decisions to lock these players in last year when he also stated that his heart wasn't in the job from about July last year or something to similar effect.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Stop blaming Hagan.We supposedly have number-crunchers who should be able to do their jobs properly. Blame them.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
'The Experts' Michael Hagan, i swear if i see the f**kwit at the University of Newcastle i'm going to fart on him, and tell him he's a penis.

I knew we were going to struggle cap rise, but it seems worse then i thought, however the article could be a little beat up also, they mentioned retaining Cordoba etc? i doubt he will be retained anyway.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Fair enough in that regard Stagger, he is the past, but it was his decision-making that is affecting our present and now it seems, future. That's what's grinding my gears. It's the snowball affect. I couldn't give a hoot if Hagan and his decisions weren't going to affect us next year, but this article is suggesting that they are. His bad work is living on and the media and not as knowledgeable fans are going to get on Anderon's case as though he will have something to answer for.

My concerns are that Hagan has set up Anderson to fail. I mean it is very premature to say that this season and next we wont win the premiership or be in the finals, but at current, we have not proved beyond any reasonable doubt that our immediate on field future is going to break that premiership drought, and it is a result of poor player retention and recruitment. Which is what Hagan, Hill and Fitzgerald have been responsible for. Fitzy has stated that it is solely the coach's responsibility on who he wants and for how much. With Hill and Fitzgerald drawing up the contract and its KPI'S, requirements, etc. Correct me if I'm wrong here?

I understand what you're saying in that he is gone and we can't hold him accountable because he is no longer with us and you're a 100% correct. It's just that I for one and I'm sure many others feel that our club has been cheated a couple of years of potential success because of Hagan and co. incompetancy.

What I said in my previous post was just a knee-jerk reaction. I'm not going to do any of those things lol....but I do feel annoyed that Hagan made the decisions to lock these players in last year when he also stated that his heart wasn't in the job from about July last year or something to similar effect.

I take your point, but Fitzy's problem wasn't that he gave Hagan full autonomy on the fulltime squad, that should always be the case for a first grade coach, it was his decision not to interview other potential candidates including the current South Sydney coach who would of given his right arm to be offered an extension of his 06 contract, the same guy who prepared a 14 page blue print on how he was going to take the club forward and he didn't even get an interview, looking back now, it was one of the worst decisions in the clubs history.