What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cap disaster: Eels have no room to rebuild

I saw enough against the Cowboys to say that we can still make the 8 this year and with some more games under their belts me should go close to the 8 again next year.

Runaround Man

Juniors
I want to introduce a radical concept into this discussion on our team's player talent pool.

Belief.

The great Jack Gibson said, "A player can have strength, courage and toughness, but the question I ask myself is, can I win with him?"

I believe there is only a few percent different in the talent of most first graders. But it is at the margin that is all important. Our current crop of players can become a very good TEAM. DA somehow needs to help the players uncover the 'champion within'.

I believe....I believe......say it with me brothers and sisters.....I believe.......can you feel it?............I believe.................

Eels Dude

Coach
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21424683-23214,00.html

Grothe wants to be a Wallaby

By Dean Ritchie and Peter Jenkins
March 22, 2007
PARRAMATTA star Eric Grothe is poised to become the second Australian rugby league star in a week to quit the NRL and join rugby union, in a deal worth $1.3 million.
Grothe is believed to be just days from agreeing a lucrative package worth up to $440,000 a season to represent New South Wales and Australia.
Grothe's imminent defection comes after Eels teammate Timana Tahu agreed to walk out on rugby league for the ARU at the end of this season.
The ARU will offer Grothe a base contract worth $280,000 a season.
Match incentives and Wallabies Test match payments will add $160,000 to the deal, taking Grothe's final figure to $440,000.

that's how his manager managed contract negotiations to force parra to stump up, guru later admitted he was never interested in moving.

Not exactly true. The ARU very publicy denied they were interested in Eric Grothe at all and informed the Waratahs that they would not give him an ARU contract and if they wanted him they had to fork out their own money. The Waratahs wanted him but the ARU didn't. It was made to look a bit embarrasing for Eric at the time with this very public rejection, and it was only a little while AFTER that when he re-signed with Parramatta.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
agreed, this resigned defeatist garbage like "worst crop" for DA to walk into is a little over the top. look at the tigers ffs, and penrith have been woeful for years, they STILL don't have a decent halves combo.

besides chad robinson and tahu (and finch), this squad isn't that much different than the one that was tipped to go all the way. there's just alot of cultural stuff that needs to be sorted out, and DA is the man to do it.

buying new players is NOT the be all and end all of our issues atm.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
Not exactly true. The ARU very publicy denied they were interested in Eric Grothe at all and informed the Waratahs that they would not give him an ARU contract and if they wanted him they had to fork out their own money. The Waratahs wanted him but the ARU didn't. It was made to look a bit embarrasing for Eric at the time with this very public rejection, and it was only a little while AFTER that when he re-signed with Parramatta.

not exactly true again. they did deny that they submitted an offer, but they did acknowledge that knuckles did refer grothe and that they (wilson) would be prepared to consider him.

it was when they realised they had been bargained chip that they changed their tune.

Eelementary

Post Whore
agreed, this resigned defeatist garbage like "worst crop" for DA to walk into is a little over the top. look at the tigers ffs, and penrith have been woeful for years, they STILL don't have a decent halves combo.

besides chad robinson and tahu (and finch), this squad isn't that much different than the one that was tipped to go all the way. there's just alot of cultural stuff that needs to be sorted out, and DA is the man to do it.

buying new players is NOT the be all and end all of our issues atm.

Exactly. I honestly really believe we have the talent - the two Mitchells up front and Anthony Mitchell imo will all be stars; Tim Robinson and David Baumann; all going to go far imo, and they're here. Maybe not ready yet, but they will be, and we'll be sweet.

HevyDevy

Coach
I saw enough against the Cowboys to say that we can still make the 8 this year and with some more games under their belts me should go close to the 8 again next year.

There is certainly some talent there, I'm just not sure there is enough in key positions to go all the way.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I'll play for free. I wouldn't have an ego problem because I'd be playing for free. Besides, having the honour of strapping on the boots and playing alongside the legendary Nathan Hindmarsh, Fui and the World Cup-winning captain would do me fine.

Let us start a petition.

Eels Dude

Coach
It's pretty obvious a bunch of players are on backloaded contracts and have been for the last couple of years. This was probably in place before Michael Hagan took over as in his first season we couldn't recruit.

Let's look at the facts, in the past 2 seasons under Hagan we've signed 3 players with first grade experience Joe G, Jeff Robson, and Kevin Kingston... all fringe first graders. In the meantime we've lost Mark Riddell, PJ Marsh, Aaron Cannings, Ian Hindmarsh, Daniel Wagon, Tony Williams, Chad Robinson, Tim Smith, Timana Tahu and anyone else I've forgotten.

Now, I think this backloading has been in place for a while. I know we had a couple of upgrades to unknown players like Inu, Hayne, Mateo etc but that couldn't have been that much to the overall scheme of things. I would think the reason we've lost that many players is partially due to backloaded, or frontloaded contracts which were in place on or around when Hagan arrived.

Hagan cannot be blamed entirely for that, if he is being told to assess what players he wants and what price they are worth, well that's not really a coach's job. He should have a say, but he shouldn't be the one making the sole decision. DF and Hill are the ones who should be having the final say on these matters and working out the contracts. That job has failed. Hagan did make stuff ups, but whether he should be in a position in the first place to make those stuff ups is another question.

murraymob

Coach
I'll play for free. I wouldn't have an ego problem because I'd be playing for free. Besides, having the honour of strapping on the boots and playing alongside the legendary Nathan Hindmarsh, Fui and the World Cup-winning captain would do me fine.

Let us start a petition.

i agree you should get a run and a contract .But can your first game be against us at penrith .I would love a punt on that game

Eelementary

Post Whore
i agree you should get a run and a contract .But can your first game be against us at penrith .I would love a punt on that game

Interestingly enough, the game where I hurt my neck there was rumoured to be a Penrith talent scout in the stands....

murraymob

Coach
Interestingly enough, the game where I hurt my neck there was rumoured to be a Penrith talent scout in the stands....

That is interesting as our scouts have a talent for not finding any talent.Last known location they where seen krispy kreen eating dougnuts