What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears NRL Bid.

carcharias

Immortal
Titans is a shit name
Why do they feel the need to copy American sports names
It was a complete ripoff from that movie.

bluefox1968

Juniors
I would like to see a GC team kept, as bottom line, it is a RL area. Also in favour of Bears buying them, as it injects a bit of novelty value, and hopefully shuts the Greg Florimo-types from whinging...

I would also like to see a second SEQ team and a WA team.

The idea of a Sydney team relocating to Central Coast? Yes - good idea.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Amazed that the NS Bears haven't had a conversation with Burleigh. Doesn't bode well for how they communicate with GC stakeholders! I would have thought that would be the first group you would be on the phone to given the potential brand conflict?

Better a group of local business people buy the Titans, stop dcking around the RL fans up there and give them a club to be proud of.

rednblack

Juniors
A) Titans.That's the original name for 10 plus years>leave it at that and grow the brand.

Just about every single construct in that sentence is incorrect.

- It's not an original name
- It's not even the original name, or a derivative of a name, for the multitude of (failed) clubs from that region
- They've played 9 seasons, not "10 plus"

taipan

Referee
Just about every single construct in that sentence is incorrect.

- It's not an original name
- It's not even the original name, or a derivative of a name, for the multitude of (failed) clubs from that region
- They've played 9 seasons, not "10 plus"

It is the original name ,that's the original name they entered the NRL under Searle.

No other elite sporting club on the GC has used that name,therefore original .Doesn't mean I like the name BTW.

Oh so shoot me Mr Pedantic, the Titans joined in March 2007.This will be their 10th year in the NRL.And it was in fact 10 plus years if you take into account when they were given the OK to to join.Quibbling over months FMD.

The Bears are still my second fave team and were so in the ARL days,but piddly comments by supporters like you,tend to turn me off them.

Stick to the CC and North Sydney,splitting areas for 1 club of 800kms is useless.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Terrible crowd in Gosford this weekend. Backlash at lack of expansion or Bears looking to Gold Coast? Wonder if we will see the same in Perth?

adamkungl

Immortal
I've said it before, but maybe the Central Coast should actually show up to games if they want a team.

Piss weak as usual and not a shred of promotion from the Bears that I saw.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Few years back they were getting 17-20k weren't they? Like the Pirates we've all given up hope of expansion so little point in promoting anything.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
I've said it before, but maybe the Central Coast should actually show up to games if they want a team.

Piss weak as usual and not a shred of promotion from the Bears that I saw.

There was a lot of promotion last year which got a healthy 12k v the titans. Didnt see much promotion this year but i think the crowd was okay given it was thr first round of local soccer and footy which would hinder thousands attending a 2pm sunday game.

siv

First Grade
Easts are dead last without a win

The fans turned up to see the local unders 8s at half time of RG

toomuchsoup

Juniors
whats the latest with bears/titans thingy

I'd say it depends on how their season goes.

They can pull a half decent crowd when they're winning, but as soon as they start get a few losses and move down the ladder, the fans seem to disappear.

Before the season started I really thought it was a possibility, but after 7 rounds, I'm not so sure

Marlins

Juniors
A lot is writing on this season for the Titans brand wether they can sort out there finical situation off the feild, also the crowd numbers and members and on the field. If the Titans fade away this season with poor crowds and few wins I think it's still a real possibility the Bears could buy them out. The NRL might agree with so they can off load them but only time will tell.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I get the sense the NRL is getting its house in order after making an $18mill loss last year and looking to shift clubs as quick as possible. Tigers and Dragons are now off the books and Newcastle are rumoured to be the next sale. I suspect the NRL will then turn its attention to GC and look at what potential owners are offering. I expect to see a decision within a couple of months to help the financials look a lot better in next years annual report.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Bears should buy out the Knights

The people from Newcastle would never accept the Knights changing their brand at this point, it'd be an unmitigated disaster especially if the Bears tried to move a handful of games to the CC and North Sydney Oval.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I get the sense the NRL is getting its house in order after making an $18mill loss last year and looking to shift clubs as quick as possible. Tigers and Dragons are now off the books and Newcastle are rumoured to be the next sale. I suspect the NRL will then turn its attention to GC and look at what potential owners are offering. I expect to see a decision within a couple of months to help the financials look a lot better in next years annual report.

They ran at an $18mil deficit probably because they had just signed a $1.8billion deal to come into effect later. I doubt they give too muc of a shit about how thats gonna look on their books when they can respond "yeh, but $1.8billion....."

Also, they arent "quickly" shifting the clubs; theyve held the clubs for 2 years, so its hard to say the process was rushed and they are holding onto 25% of the debt Balmain owed.

As for the "Titans > Bears", it seemed like a pretty solid nothing story. We have an attention seeking bid in the Bears trying to take advantage of the story to maintain relevance (they did the same when the Sharks were on the brink back in 2009)

Latest posts