What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears - Stand Aside

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobmar28

Bench
So the good people of Ipswich deserve their own team, they'll just have to drive 45 minutes or more into the city to watch them? :?

If and when they come in (which I believe is almost certain within this decade), I would think they would like to have a stadium in their own town to play out of...

Why not? It takes me that long to get to the Bulldogs home games.

bobmar28

Bench
If we're talking about an Ipswich bid, they will need a new stadium, in Ipswich.

The bid itself isn't very advanced either, definitely not to the extent that the WA and CC bids are - and the focus over the coming months (which is when the bids are supposed to be submitted) won't be on a new RL team - it'll be about recovery and rebuild.

Under the circumstances I think it is only fair that the deadline be extended. To maybe June, July, something like that.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Oh dear. :lol: It takes me longer than that, but that is NOT the point. The idea is that a team should generally play within 15-20 minutes of the town centre of which their club resides (STGI and WT are obvious exclusions to this rule with 2 or more centres).

Having an Ipswich side play 45 minutes away from Ipswich is not a very smart idea.

I'm sure the people of Ipswich would be delighted if the government offered to build them a stadium.
If it came as a preference over governmental assistance to rebuild homes and businesses affected or destroyed by this disaster, then I highly doubt it.

supera

Juniors
it would be disappointing if these circumstances adversely affected Ipswich's endeavours for a team in 2013, but as harsh as it sounds, it isn't WA Reds or CC Bears problem. It would be unfair to those clubs if the NRL decided not to include one or both of these teams in 2013 to give Ipswich a chance to put its bid together.

I hope Ipswich gets a team in 2013, I think that region desperately needs a team - but if they can't get a bid together, it would be unreasonable for the rest of the NRL community to wait.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Probably the most level headed comment I've seen on here. Well said supera.

bobmar28

Bench
Or maybe you haven't seen the images or heard from the people?

or perhaps you can't think on anything bigger then just sport?

This Natural disaster will take all 2011 to fix and going by every after disaster that has ever happened it'll take further years to get things back on track and back to what it was before you start talking about something as little as a footy team in the grand scheme of things.

Then you take into consideration that the decision will be handed down this half way through this year and the fact that the NRL and QRL are already more worried about helping out existing local rugby league clubs get back to their feet for the up-coming season(s) and then there is magically suppose to be this extra time to create a team from scratch for to compete in the NRL? I don't think so.

Which teams are the QRL worried about helping?

bobmar28

Bench
it would be disappointing if these circumstances adversely affected Ipswich's endeavours for a team in 2013, but as harsh as it sounds, it isn't WA Reds or CC Bears problem. It would be unfair to those clubs if the NRL decided not to include one or both of these teams in 2013 to give Ipswich a chance to put its bid together.

I hope Ipswich gets a team in 2013, I think that region desperately needs a team - but if they can't get a bid together, it would be unreasonable for the rest of the NRL community to wait.
How about bring in the Reds and play a bye until the Jets are ready?

Because there is no way the Sydney region needs a tenth team. Sydney and NSW have way too many teams and adding another one would be insane. The Bears should get a franchise only when a Sydney team falls over/merges.

supera

Juniors
i don't agree with that... Central Coast should not be considered "sydney region", it has it's own identity. the bid merges the 'Central Coast identity' with the history of the Bears, and it supports heartland supporters.

i've said it all along, i'm not opposed to a perth team, but heartland supporters in central coast and Ipswich should have a team to support before Perth, who've already had a team tried and failed.

So the Central Coast Bears whom have a stadium, offices, memberships, sponsors, merchandise, community involvement and backing, political backing and corporate backing... and now been approved to build their multi-million dollar HQ and Mount Penang which will include a state of the art training facilities and sports center... should have to WAIT. No they shouldn't come in at all just to accommodate for another bid which the city it intends to represent is submerged and before it flooded didn't have any of the above anyways?

You're a loose cannon mate. I know you hate NSW and I know you fail to understand how important corporate support is to achieve (which the CCBEARS have) for a bid. But the above comment of yours is ridiculous.

The Central Coast Bears were ready before the Ipswich Jets NRL bid. Are ready now with the Jets bid scrambling and will be ready in the future when the Jets still struggle to gather corporate support. You keep saying how the NRL is a business... well it's not very business like to knock back something so secure for something which might not eventuate at all.

Beowulf

Juniors
Does that mean if the Bears fail this time there won't be another bid?

I'm not a bid member so I couldn't say, but its just my opinion that the bid being put together could never be surpassed to get a team on the Central Coast. It's the best possible bid that could be put together. So if the NRL want a team on the Central Coast ever, they'll put them in now.

I'm confident, becasue David Gallop has stated there are no preferred locations for next entry. They do have targeted strategic target areas, including CC, Perth and Brisbane and you can probably add CQLD and maybe even NZ to that mix.

So from that you can infer that the strongest bid from one of their strategic targets will get the nod.

After the horrible events in QLD the past month, I think it will be difficult to fast track team entries in QLD, given CQLD has said 2014 is their preffered start date and Ipswich 2015. Unlike others, I believe it won't hamper Ipswich's initial bid document too much, given they are only going to hand over what's basically a vision statement.....but if they were hoping for 2015 BEFORE this week its hard to see them suddenly coming out and saying they'll now be ready anytime before 2015 at the very earliest.

I'm very bullish about more QLD teams - I think its important to have a local derby in Brisbane and I think the mining incomes in CQLD will be a plus longer term, plus 1 more game involving a QLD team will be good for ratings in QLD.

However neither bid by their own admission will be ready in time to maximise a TV deal for 2013.

Hence logic would suggest Central Coast and WA Reds for 2013 (or even 2014) and the next two teams (say 2018) a Brisbane variant and CQLD. I would like the IC in August to announce all 4 teams as entrants to give all fans and sponsors clarity and purpose so no bid loses momentum.

I'm sure no one here would be disappointed in 8 years time if CC, Perth, Brisbane and CQLD have teams in the NRL.

Beowulf

Juniors
Apart from having (arguably) one of the worst stadiums in the country, this spectacular "HQ" you are talking about will be rubbish.

If you want to see a real HQ check out the Titans Centre for Excellene or the Australian Technology Park Redfern.

The Bears bid team have checked out the Centre of Excellence and it will be the model. Your comment re Bluetongue being a rubbish stadium is great to hear - if the arguement comes down to stadiums, I'll back Bluetongue and North Sydney Oval any day of the week! The piers are sunk at the northern end of Bluetongue to allow an extra tier to be built, adding 3-4,000 to capacity, so we can very easily and cheaply get a 25,000 stadium, all with brilliant seats and stunning views of Brisbane Waters. There are plans to transplant a cutting from the North Sydney Oval fig (cuttings already taken and growing) and plant it on the waterfront also behind the southern goal which would be very symbolic.

adamkungl

Immortal

Because there is no way the Sydney region needs a tenth team. Sydney and NSW have way too many teams and adding another one would be insane. The Bears should get a franchise only when a Sydney team falls over/merges.

CC isn't in the Sydney any more than Canberra is.

_Johnsy

Referee
adam

If it suits your bias and argument then it can be.

Brisbane to Skilled Stadium Robina 81.5km.

Sydney to Bluetongue Stadium 75.3km.

Ipswich to Suncorp Stadium 37.4km

Bobmar,
Is Ipswich considered by you as a part of Brisbane ?

Last edited:

BDGS

Bench
I'm sure the people of Ipswich would be delighted if the government offered to build them a stadium.

I'm sure they rather the Government spend money on re-building homes, businesses, schools and the like then something that means so little as a Stadium in this time of need. That comment is insulting to all those currently in flooded areas with their lives at risk.

You are ONE person, we are talking about the BASE of a potential clubs supporters

Under the circumstances I think it is only fair that the deadline be extended. To maybe June, July, something like that.

I don't think so, WA and CC didn't flood QLD. If the CQ and Ips bids were as strong as WA and CC's then the floods wouldn't of caused any problems.

Strange how we have just had our worse floods in a while and those bids remain silent.

Which teams are the QRL worried about helping?

The ones that have lost their memorabilia, fields, jerseys, training facilities.

http://www.nrl.com/news/news/newsar...ate-100k-to-flood-affected-clubs/default.aspx

And this was before the floods got as bad as they are over the last few days.

adam

If it suits your bias and argument then it can be.

Brisbane to Skilled Stadium Robina 81.5km.

Sydney to Bluetongue Stadium 75.3km.

Ipswich to Suncorp Stadium 37.4km

Bobmar,
Is Ipswich considered by you as a part of Brisbane ?

the difference being there is one team in brisbane, how many are there in sydney?????

Perth Red

Post Whore
I dont think bids will be called for before June/July now anyway. The latest WA reds newsletter is suggesting so. They won't do anything till the IC is in place and negotiated the TV deal, can't see that happening within 6 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts