What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears - Stand Aside

Status
Not open for further replies.

mightybears

Bench
How can the CC have the same kind of long term impact on TV deals (even the next one) as Perth or an Adelaide franchise?

you think they won't? How much extra $ will be picked up by having an Adelaide team to sell to the FTA's/Foxtel etc? A team that no one has stepped up to run, develop, pay for, front, exist?.

A city with the smallest numbers of eastern states/new zealanders to form a core support base? [compared to Perth and Melbourne].

applesauce

Bench
you think they won't? How much extra $ will be picked up by having an Adelaide team to sell to the FTA's/Foxtel etc? A team that no one has stepped up to run, develop, pay for, front, exist?.

A city with the smallest numbers of eastern states/new zealanders to form a core support base? [compared to Perth and Melbourne].

Answer the question.

I never mentioned that there would even be expansion let alone where I think it should be (if the CC was right or wrong). I was just wanting an answer to a relevant question about where the game would want to be heading to get stronger....:roll:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Canterbury are already taking games to Adelaide - and not cheating the public by using Hindmarsh - they're playing at Adelaide Oval.

I thought Penrith were taking yearly trials there?

Agree

Roosters are taking games to Christchurch - surprised teams have stopped heading to Wellington though.

As for PNG, I think we should keep tabs on our own backyard first... PNG is surely a while off.

Problem we have at the moment though is that it is at the whim of the clubs and offers no long term strategy for developing the games in expansion areas. If the NRL orchestrates it and funds the same clubs to not only guarantee 2-3 games a year in these cities but also to run jnr clinics etc then we will start to convert people. As it stands at the moment we get one game then may or may not get another one for a year or two. Clubs/State bodies take a big financial risk at the moment playing games in these frontier areas, it should be the NRL bankrolling them and having a long term strategy for getting the game a much higher profile in these areas. With that comes more interest in watching NRl on TV, more jnrs being developed for NRL clubs, healthier and wealthier NRL clubs and a chance to see which areas are ready for a new franchise.

Perth Red

Post Whore

I get very frustrated when i hear Adelaide mentioned in teh same breath as Perth! We have been developing since 2005 and have a much much stronger RL presence at jnr, fanbase and corporate level. Teh SARL have made no noises about wanting an NRl team, no one is backing an NRL team there yet they get talked about as having teh same chance as Perth.

That's not to say that I don't think we should be in SA building foundations with a long term plan to have a team there. If AFL is looking shaky anywhere it is in Adelaide and we should consider how we can attack them there.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
How can the CC have the same kind of long term impact on TV deals (even the next one) as Perth or an Adelaide franchise?

It's an extra game a week. That's how they'll supply money. Perth will make evens for the NRL. CC will make overs for the NRL. Adelaide will LOSE money for the NRL.

In order for the TV right deal to work you need an extra game. Adding only Perth is gonna do sh!t all. Adding Central QLD which is isolated at the moment and so much of their bid depends on the mining boom. No boom or dying down boom = small populations in the towns which want the Cent. QLD team.

Adelaide are so far off the radar we can forget about them. No bid has come from their yet and I doubt they can finalize one before 2013 considering how much work the CCBEARS, PerthREDS, CentralQLD-NRLbid have put in.

Perth and CC are the logical choices. Having CC fortifies the CC as an NRL region. Brings back BEARS (current Swans, Waratahs) supporters to the NRL. Being sponsored by WIN means $$$ for the games shown @ Bluetounge. I've listed FACTs about their bid. Their dosier is impressive, no one can deny the hardwork being put in by Florimo and the entire CCBEARS bid. They offer more to the NRL then the Roosters & Cronulla purely based on their juniors, plus they get more fans to Bluetounge without a current team then both these teams do week in week out.

mightybears

Bench
I get very frustrated when i hear Adelaide mentioned in teh same breath as Perth! We have been developing since 2005 and have a much much stronger RL presence at jnr, fanbase and corporate level. Teh SARL have made no noises about wanting an NRl team, no one is backing an NRL team there yet they get talked about as having teh same chance as Perth.

That's not to say that I don't think we should be in SA building foundations with a long term plan to have a team there. If AFL is looking shaky anywhere it is in Adelaide and we should consider how we can attack them there.

yeah, hence the reason i selectively answered by focusing on Adelaide! I can see a Perth team existing and eventually flourishing, its just not there in Adelaide [as far as i can see], Numbers, sponsors, core support etc.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/perth-nrl-push-gaining-momentum/story-e6frep5x-1225883418217

Perth NRL push gaining momentum

031728-david-gallop.jpg

Plan ... David Gallop. Source: The Daily Telegraph

NRL boss David Gallop's push for a Perth team to be included in an expanded NRL competition will gather momentum today when he addresses a business lunch in Western Australia.

Gallop last night said he would talk up moves for Perth to return to the competition for the first time since the Western Reds played in Super League.

"They've got a lot going for them," Gallop said. "They've got a booming economy and they get good crowds whenever we play over there.

"The Western Australian Rugby League has a new administration and there has been a good growth in junior numbers.

"They would also offer the game a new timeslot for broadcasting because of the time difference.

"And they have a great stadium already in place."

The NRL has considered an expansion for 2013 when a new television deal will be in place.

The Central Coast Bears are favourites to be the first new team if the competition is expanded, leaving Perth or a second team from Brisbane as the other candidates.

If Perth happened to get the nod it would be their second venture into rugby league's big time.

The Western Reds - with Mark Geyer their marquee signing - played at the WACA ground with moderate success before reasonable crowds, but folded when peace was restored to the game in 1998.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
Yesterday Central Coast Bears fan and an admin of this fan page Michael Hanley was chosen as one of 6 Rugby League fans to attend the NRL Fans Commission next wednesday where he will get to meet David Gallop. Michael will get the chance to push forward the case for the Central Coast Bears inclusion in the NRL from a fans point of view... as well as his own ideas on how to inprove the game. Michael would like to thank all the members of our fan page who voted for him to be chosen and promises to get the message across that the Central Coast Bears deserve, and are entitled, to be part of the NRL.

We wish you all the best Michael and look forward to your report on your meeting.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Central-Coast-Bears/72707929443

Lambretta

First Grade
I became a member of the Central Coast Bears yesterday.

Signed up a mate (Dogs supporter) as well.

Might go and see them play this Sunday at North Sydney Oval against the Storm.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I became a member of the Central Coast Bears yesterday.

Signed up a mate (Dogs supporter) as well.

Might go and see them play this Sunday at North Sydney Oval against the Storm.

mate I am preparing a discussion document for the WA Reds bid team around memberships from a fans point of view. I would love to know why you joined up as Bears member, what motivated you to do so?

cheers

Lambretta

First Grade
mate I am preparing a discussion document for the WA Reds bid team around memberships from a fans point of view. I would love to know why you joined up as Bears member, what motivated you to do so?

cheers

Well, I live in the Bears catchment area, so I felt I should show some level of support to the local team.

They have a beautiful and chronically under utilised stadium. It's a traditional league stronghold and there is only one other professional team in the area and they play at a different time of year. But without a league team for kids to get involved with the area could become more of a football stronghold over time.

I also feel for Norths and their supporters. I don't wish to argue the rights and wrongs of the merger and split with Manly, and I dont want to start a fight with Manly fans, but I think Norths could have had a better outcome from the Super League era than the one they ended up with.

I'd like to see them back in and Gosford is a natural home for them.

I also believe that Perth should be the next cab off the rank after the Coast come in. Wether it be the same time or soon after.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
Yesterday Central Coast Bears fan and an admin of this fan page Michael Hanley was chosen as one of 6 Rugby League fans to attend the NRL Fans Commission next wednesday where he will get to meet David Gallop. Michael will get the chance to push forward the case for the Central Coast Bears inclusion in the NRL from a fans point of view... as well as his own ideas on how to inprove the game. Michael would like to thank all the members of our fan page who voted for him to be chosen and promises to get the message across that the Central Coast Bears deserve, and are entitled, to be part of the NRL.

We wish you all the best Michael and look forward to your report on your meeting.

There has been a 2nd Central Coast BEARS fan chosen for the 6 man Independent fans commission. Michael Hanley & Brett Adams are both massive Central Coast BEARS/Norths supporters.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ns-commissioners/story-e6frexni-1225884455311

THE final six candidates to sit on The Daily Telegraph's Independent Fans Commission have been elected and are scheduled to debate the future of the NRL with chief executive David Gallop next Wednesday.

Burning issues including a full home and away season, 20-minute quarters, bringing back the North Sydney Bears on the Central Coast and the structure of the representative season will all be canvassed in a one-hour sit-down at NRL headquarters.

For the past 12 months, fans have been crying out for a voice in the soon-to-be ratified Independent Commission - The Daily Telegraph's Independent Fans Commission is the next best thing.

The six successful Fans Commissioners are Michael Hanley from the Central Coast, Ross Martin from Glenmore Park, John Fenech from Maroubra, Brent Adams from Wamberal, Jason Abraham from Casula and Andrew Jackson from Ryde.

Abraham is calling for a limit on the number of times video referees are allowed to watch footage of tries.

"The game is slowed down by the video refs constantly taking five minutes to come up with a decision, it shouldn't be that hard," Abraham said.

"By capping the number of times a video ref can watch a questionable try at three, the game is faster and it should stop video referees looking for stupid insignificant rule infringements."

The bulk of suggestions are centred on rule changes and referees, but the candidates are also demanding changes be made off the field.

The scheduling of the competition has been consistently attacked in recent years and plenty of fans are urging the NRL to change the fixtures for State of Origin and mid-season Tests.

Martin believes: "The entire representative calendar is farcical and needs to be completely overhauled.

"The Australian jersey should be the biggest incentive for players and should be played after the City-Country and State of Origin. The current arrangement devalues the green and gold.

"The order needs to reflect the order of selections."

Some of the other popular ideas include:
* BRINGING back the Bears and giving the Central Coast a team;
* INTRODUCING a "marquee player" rule that allows each club to have the salaries of two players exempt from the salary cap;
* STOPPING attacking teams from being given another set of six if they regather the ball from a failed charge-down attempt;
* REPLACING golden point with golden try; and
* GIVING a video referee the power to make a decision without being called on by match referees.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Central-Coast-Bears/72707929443

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
http://www.centralcoastbears.com.au...lst_Bears_@_Work_event_a_massive_success.html

LATEST BEARS@WORK CORPORATE EVENT A MASSIVE SUCCESS
25th June 2010 | Posted by Central Coast Bears
The Central Coast Bears have officially engaged Australia's fastest growing business district, following the success of its latest bears@work corporate event at Macquarie Park, North Ryde.

The successful corporate networking event, held at the popular Glasshouse cafe/restaurant on Thursday 24 June, was hosted by Central Coast Bears CEO Greg Florimo, inaugural coach David Fairleigh and directors Ken Sayer from Mortgage House and Martin O'Brien from international money broker BGC.

The event attracted an excellent mix of representatives from companies such as Canon Australia, Aristocrat, Aon, CA Technologies, Logicall Communications, Fairfax, 2UE, Raine & Horne, Belle Property, Macquarie University, Metcash, Fone Zone, Professional Public Relations and Sydney Water.

Underlining the growing financial strength of the Central Coast Bears' bid, Australia's banking fraternity was also well represented by the likes of Westpac, National Australia Bank, Citibank and Eureka Funds Management.

The event also attracted strong representation from major sponsors Mortgage House, Fortunity, Norths Leagues and JJ Lawson.

Following the success of the first bears@work event in the Sydney CBD in 2009, a passionate Florimo provided an update on the long term sustainability of the Central Coast Bears which will represent 20% of the population of NSW and 5% of the national total.

"A rugby league club representing the region between Lake Munmorah and Kirribilli will be a powerful enterprise and this is attracting significant corporate interest from some of Australia's truly heavy weight brands," said Mr Florimo.

"The NRL is looking at ways to generate the maximum windfall from our game and are on the verge of renegotiating a new broadcasting agreement.

"Ultimately, this means more content and an expanded competition and this is where the Central Coast Bears add value to the game.

"Rugby league is a fantastic product and is as good as it's ever been. There is more interest and support throughout Australia for the game.

"To look at the strategy of the game, it's clear we're in a very healthy position and a team out of the Central Coast will add value to the game.

Florimo added the Central Coast Bears have a compelling business case for a 2013 inclusion. "Not only do we have a sponsorship base that is building daily and is a key ingredient in our model that we will present to the NRL, but we have a community relationship.

"David Fairleigh and myself have worked hard to demonstrate that the Central Coast Bears won't just be a top level sporting organisation, but that we are a grass roots focused club.

"We are developing a culture where the kids between Lake Munmorah and Kirribilli aspire to being part of the Bears."

Central Coast Bear's Director Ken Sayer, who is also the MD of Mortgage House, said it was the professionalism and passion of the bid team led by Greg Florimo that attracted him to the red & black's journey into the NRL.

"I have been associated with sport and the NRL for a very long time and have come across organisations that have claimed high standards. However the Central Coast Bears are right up there and are flying the flag every day."

Mr Sayer also encouraged the corporate audience to consider the value of sports marketing in the development of a major brand.

"If it wasn't for sports marketing, the Mortgage House brand wouldn't be as strong as it is," declared Mr Sayer.

"It's impossible to calculate the value of sports marketing today, but it keeps producing returns year in and year out. There are many marketing mediums, but sports marketing is at the top.

"The reason Mortgage House is partnering with the Central Coast Bears is because they are passionate and have drive."

"There are plenty of organisations that talk the talk but don’t back it up. The Central Coast Bears talk and walk in the same sentence."
What's that? More corporate support? More financial backing?

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
http://www.centralcoastbears.com.au...lst_Bears_@_Work_event_a_massive_success.html

LATEST BEARS@WORK CORPORATE EVENT A MASSIVE SUCCESS
25th June 2010 | Posted by Central Coast Bears
The Central Coast Bears have officially engaged Australia's fastest growing business district, following the success of its latest bears@work corporate event at Macquarie Park, North Ryde.

The successful corporate networking event, held at the popular Glasshouse cafe/restaurant on Thursday 24 June, was hosted by Central Coast Bears CEO Greg Florimo, inaugural coach David Fairleigh and directors Ken Sayer from Mortgage House and Martin O'Brien from international money broker BGC.

The event attracted an excellent mix of representatives from companies such as Canon Australia, Aristocrat, Aon, CA Technologies, Logicall Communications, Fairfax, 2UE, Raine & Horne, Belle Property, Macquarie University, Metcash, Fone Zone, Professional Public Relations and Sydney Water.

Underlining the growing financial strength of the Central Coast Bears' bid, Australia's banking fraternity was also well represented by the likes of Westpac, National Australia Bank, Citibank and Eureka Funds Management.

The event also attracted strong representation from major sponsors Mortgage House, Fortunity, Norths Leagues and JJ Lawson.

Following the success of the first bears@work event in the Sydney CBD in 2009, a passionate Florimo provided an update on the long term sustainability of the Central Coast Bears which will represent 20% of the population of NSW and 5% of the national total.

"A rugby league club representing the region between Lake Munmorah and Kirribilli will be a powerful enterprise and this is attracting significant corporate interest from some of Australia's truly heavy weight brands," said Mr Florimo.

"The NRL is looking at ways to generate the maximum windfall from our game and are on the verge of renegotiating a new broadcasting agreement.

"Ultimately, this means more content and an expanded competition and this is where the Central Coast Bears add value to the game.

"Rugby league is a fantastic product and is as good as it's ever been. There is more interest and support throughout Australia for the game.

"To look at the strategy of the game, it's clear we're in a very healthy position and a team out of the Central Coast will add value to the game.

Florimo added the Central Coast Bears have a compelling business case for a 2013 inclusion. "Not only do we have a sponsorship base that is building daily and is a key ingredient in our model that we will present to the NRL, but we have a community relationship.

"David Fairleigh and myself have worked hard to demonstrate that the Central Coast Bears won't just be a top level sporting organisation, but that we are a grass roots focused club.

"We are developing a culture where the kids between Lake Munmorah and Kirribilli aspire to being part of the Bears."

Central Coast Bear's Director Ken Sayer, who is also the MD of Mortgage House, said it was the professionalism and passion of the bid team led by Greg Florimo that attracted him to the red & black's journey into the NRL.

"I have been associated with sport and the NRL for a very long time and have come across organisations that have claimed high standards. However the Central Coast Bears are right up there and are flying the flag every day."

Mr Sayer also encouraged the corporate audience to consider the value of sports marketing in the development of a major brand.

"If it wasn't for sports marketing, the Mortgage House brand wouldn't be as strong as it is," declared Mr Sayer.

"It's impossible to calculate the value of sports marketing today, but it keeps producing returns year in and year out. There are many marketing mediums, but sports marketing is at the top.

"The reason Mortgage House is partnering with the Central Coast Bears is because they are passionate and have drive."

"There are plenty of organisations that talk the talk but don’t back it up. The Central Coast Bears talk and walk in the same sentence."
What's that? More corporate support? More financial backing?

Perth Red

Post Whore
good work, seems to be some good corporate support behind the bid. My understanding is that the NRL has basically told all bids that they need to show they have a realistic revenue of at least $10mill a year before the NRL grant.

This year we have seen Cash Convertors and Harvey Norman get behind the WARL. If that will be carried into NRL sponsorships I don't know, but it is good signs.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
http://www.theroar.com.au/2010/06/29/a-case-for-the-central-coast-bears-2013

A case of justice for the Central Coast Bears

For the NRL to grow and ward off increased competition from AFL in heartland areas, there are only two options: either the NRL cuts weak teams or expands into areas that can subsidize the weak teams and grow the game.
I believe the days of forced mergers and culling are over.

No one wants that pain again, and it will only contain costs, not increase revenues as TV demands more games to broadcast. Unless a team is willing to relocate, the existing 16 teams will remain in situ.

Therefore, the NRL must expand to increase the number of games and revenues, and like any business, you must grow with minimal risk.

Looking at areas of population sufficiently close to a stadium (say 1.5 hours travel), the candidates would be: Central Coast (including North Shore); Adelaide; Melbourne(2); Perth; Brisbane(2); Central QLD; PNG and Wellington.
Assuming all agree that Melbourne (2) will never happen, and Adelaide, PNG and Wellington are at least ten years away (barring voluntary relocation), that leaves Central Coast, Perth, Brisbane (2) and Central QLD.
All have positive points, and I would love to see all included in perhaps two phases over the next five-six years.
As a battle-scarred Bear, I am an optimist, so I will not point out negatives in other bids, just advantages of the Central Coast Bears.

1. A rugby league heartland with no NRL team. The third largest junior league in Australia, with no local pathway to the NRL. No one doubts they will get 15,000-20,000 to Bluetongue stadium, and 20,000 to the one proposed game at North Sydney Oval v Manly each year.

2. Potential revenue stream.
The NRL itself concedes they have lost 400,000 supporters of league with the exclusion of the Bears.
There’s an instant addition to increased TV ratings/revenues, Foxtel subscriptions etc on top of all those new residents within the 1,000,0000 catchment area unfamiliar with NRL, or having a local team to support. In the 1990’s the Bears were the second most watched NRL team on TV, with lots of support in QLD where an excellent recruitment/development system, still fondly remembered, was in place.

3. Zero risk. I understand the Central Coast have more sponsors already than some existing NRL clubs (more announcements in coming weeks), and are being approached directly by companies wishing to buy into such a great ‘feel good’ story.
Interest is coming from all the key commercial centres within the Central Coast’s catchment – North Sydney, Chatswood, North Ryde and Gosford – a formidable stable of commercial power few NRL teams can match. The passion is incredible for this team – you don’t know what you’ve lost until its gone.

4. Low costs. Travel to the Central Coast is relatively easy for all NSW teams, hence opposition costs for the majority are reduced, plus the Central Coast will bring an away army of Central Coast/North Shore supporters to all Sydney and Newcastle away games, increasing crowd attendances and revenues for the weaker Sydney clubs.
The clubs infrastructure is all in place – stadium, management, coach, jersey and other merchandise, financial memberships growing daily, website and facebook site with more members than many NRL teams.

5. Opposition code threats. As a resident of the catchment area, I witness the growth of football and AFL with some alarm. 10km from the city, kids rarely wear NRL jerseys whereas fifteen years ago Bears jerseys abounded.
The Central Coast Mariners is a Central Coast/north shore football team, so the model works. Luckily for Central Coast league supporters, they have a historic brand they can leverage corporate support off, to generate the revenue streams needed to survive in the NRL that otherwise would be impossible if the Central Coast stood alone.

6. Justice. Without getting too sentimental, the Bears never got a fair go at the conclusion of the Super League war (some of it self-inflicted), and the support from other club supporters, particularly Souths fans, for the bid has been truly heartening.

Status
Not open for further replies.