What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears - Stand Aside

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.bigpondsport.com/news/tabid/281/newsid/45728/bears-march-for-the-cause/default.aspx

Bears march for the cause

THE CENTRAL Coast Bears' bid to gain entry to the NRL took another step in the right direction on Saturday with fans turning out to march in support of the proposed move that would see the Bears compete in the 2013 season.

The North Sydney Bears departed the League following the 1999 season, but Central Coast chief executive Greg Florimo is hopeful the Bears will live to fight again from a new base at Bluetongue Stadium in Gosford. Despite a groundswell of local support, Florimo – a member of the Bears' team of the century – is under no illusions as to the size of the task ahead of his bid team. "What hope have we got? Well, we don't know," a candid Florimo said ahead of Saturday's march from the Gosford Sailing Club to Bluetongue Stadium.

"We can only go on what everyone else knows and that is there's going to be a restructure of the game. Everyone agrees that expansion needs to be on the agenda, everyone agrees that the Central Coast is Rugby League heartland and we'd like to see the Bears back. "Bringing all those elements together I think we've got a bit of a chance." North Sydney currently competes in the second-tier New South Wales Cup competition based out of traditional headquarters North Sydney Oval and Florimo said the two entities would continue to share a strong bond. "We will … and that will always be there," he said.

"The New South Wales Cup will remain at North Sydney Oval and that will be our second-tier or reserve grade feeding into the Central Coast Bears.

"On the coast we'll have our NRL side, our under-20s and the junior reps as the Central Coast Cubs." Florimo admitted the current climate that sees some clubs struggling financially while others deal with salary cap troubles was not ideal, but he pledged to fight on regardless. "There's a lot of work still to be done there and we've got a couple of ideas and initiatives that we'll make a lot of noise about in the next couple of months in terms of raising capital and ensuring we have a sustainable plan for the NRL," he said.

"We're mindful that we'll just keep our heads down at the moment and keep doing what we're doing and leave the NRL to handle the affairs of the game, then we'll give them a gentle reminder in the next couple of weeks that we're still going.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/photo.php?pid=433479&id=1674741290&fbid=1224069496595

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Central-Coast-Bears/72707929443#!/album.php?aid=171271&id=72707929443

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=171277&id=72707929443&ref=mf

Photos from the march & BBQ!!~~

Sea-FM reports 1,500 people turned out!
Photos from the march & BBQ!!~~

Sea-FM reports 1,500 people turned out!

People turned out for the march, not as many for the game. Still a great turnout.

Last edited:
I emailed Flo, Daisy and the marketing team at the CCBEARS this morning concerning
Hey guys, I think it would be a great idea to have a competition running between the fans to create a new club song for the Central Coast BEARS. With the winner possibly winning a signed jersey from the CCBEARS and maybe a double season pass (once we have been admitted into the comp). I know Flo already penned one but this can be yet another great opportunity to get the fans and community involved. Maybe the winners song can be sung by Flo, Buett, Daisy & the song's creator/s and played live on SEA-FM????? Anyways I have already written down a draft...

We're the BEARS, the BEARS... the mighty, mighty BEARS!/
making tackle after tackle, scoring try after try/
making break after break, put up a kick and watch us fly/

finally we're back... it's a sea of red & black/
on the field we'll never slack, we'll always give it a crack/

we represent the CENTRAL COAST, each of the areas we will boast/
raise our arms to the fans, every time we score under the posts/

from Terrigal to Erina, Toukley to Umina/
Gosford to Willoughby, Wyong to North Sydney/

charging through the line with one thing on our mind/
from the boys we have signed to the kids will we find/

not just another team, we’re the Rugby League dream/
passion to be seen, so now every body SCREAM!…

WE’RE THE BEARS, THE BEARS... THE MIGHTY, MIGHTY BEARS!!!!/(insert bear growl sound here)
Hopefully it goes ahead. I think it'd be a gem of an idea.

I emailed Flo, Daisy and the marketing team at the CCBEARS this morning concerning
Hey guys, I think it would be a great idea to have a competition running between the fans to create a new club song for the Central Coast BEARS. With the winner possibly winning a signed jersey from the CCBEARS and maybe a double season pass (once we have been admitted into the comp). I know Flo already penned one but this can be yet another great opportunity to get the fans and community involved. Maybe the winners song can be sung by Flo, Buett, Daisy & the song's creator/s and played live on SEA-FM????? Anyways I have already written down a draft...

making tackle after tackle, scoring try after try/
making break after break, put up a kick and watch us fly/

finally we're back... it's a sea of red & black/
on the field we'll never slack, we'll always give it a crack/

we represent the CENTRAL COAST, each of the areas we will boast/
raise our arms to the fans, every time we score under the posts/

from Terrigal to Erina, Toukley to Umina/
Gosford to Willoughby, Wyong to North Sydney/

charging through the line with one thing on our mind/
from the boys we have signed to the kids will we find/

not just another team, we’re the Rugby League dream/
passion to be seen, so now every body SCREAM!…

WE’RE THE BEARS, THE BEARS... THE MIGHTY, MIGHTY BEARS!!!!/(insert bear growl sound here)
Hopefully it goes ahead. I think it'd be a gem of an idea.

Flo replied this morning concerning this idea... I'm very happy.. BTW check the link from the post below!!!

----
Thanks for the efforts JT. You are on the right track and we will be asking the community to become involved with the team in many ways, including their thoughts on the team song. Don’t know about my singing voice though..

regards

Greg Florimo

Chief Executive Officer
Central Coast Bears
PO Box 3622
ERINA NSW 2250
p - 43048999
f - 43048990
m - 0421695594

LINK INCLUDES A VIDEO FROM SATURDAYS MARCH... EVERYONE PLEASE HAVE A WATCH OF IT BY FOLLOWING THE LINK BELOW...

http://www.nbntv.com.au/index.php/2010/05/16/red-and-black-rally-backs-bears-bid/

RED AND BLACK RALLY BACKS BEARS BID May 16, 2010

The sidelines of an NRL match are always filled with roaring fans, but it was the thousands dressed in red and black that grabbed the most attention at Blue Tongue stadium last night.
Showing their support for the Central Coast Bears, locals cheered and chanted, long before the Roosters Knights match had even started.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I didnet see the game, did the NRL coverage give any focus on the Bears support/ banners etc during the game? I know during last years Perth Sth's game they didn't show any of the Reds banners or fans in the game coverage which i found interesting. and disappointing

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
I didnet see the game, did the NRL coverage give any focus on the Bears support/ banners etc during the game? I know during last years Perth Sth's game they didn't show any of the Reds banners or fans in the game coverage which i found interesting. and disappointing

If Gallop had a say, he would have ensured zero coverage of the Bears.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
FOX cameras panned to the Bears bay at the start of the game.

I did notice every time the Crusade started up "Come on Newcastle", the Bears bay started even louder with "We Want the Bears Back". Good level of support for what received not much promotion. PLENTY of Bears jerseys throughout the whole stadium.

http://www.centralcoastbears.com.au/news/Central_Coast_Bears_On_The_March_In_Gosford.html

CENTRAL COAST BEARS ON THE MARCH IN GOSFORD

Hundreds of Central Coast Bears fans marched in Gosford on Saturday 15 May, in support of the Central Coast Bears’ bid for a 2013 NRL licence.

The sea of red & black supporters which included Gosford Mayor Chris Holstein, Terrigal MP Chris Hartcher and sponsors Mortgage House and Fortunity, marched from Gosford Sailing Club to Bluetongue Stadium before the Round 10 Roosters and Knights NRL clash.

Central Coast Bears Chief Executive Officer, Greg Florimo, who addressed supporters before the march, told SEAFM’s Paddy Gerrard, “It is outstanding to see so many people turn out for this event. In ten months time, we hope to see 10,000 fans at Bluetongue Stadium supporting us. This is just the beginning, as we continue to look forward to 2013”.

The fans led by red & black stalwart Col Johnson and mascots from the Central Coast Bears and Mortgage House, slow marched along the Gosford waterfront to Bluetongue Stadium and a well-earned sausage sizzle, where Sydney Roosters injured halfback and Bears junior Mitchell Pearce joined the celebrations.

The event, which were supported by SEA FM and 2GO, attracted an estimated 1,300 Central Coast Bears supporters, and Paul Wrigley, General Manager, SEA FM said, “What a fantastic roll up for the Central Coast Bears march. It shows the Central Coast wants its own team for sure. Both our brands SEA FM and 2GO were ecstatic to be involved."

"The Central Coast deserves a team, and Greg Florimo and his bid team at the Central Coast Bears are dedicated to making this a reality.”
Fans also flocked to the Central Coast Bears’ merchandise stall and grabbed the new Foundation jersey, t-shirts and caps, while many supporters pledged support, signing up to individual memberships, which start from $20 a year and family memberships worth just $50 annually.
“We have achieved exactly what we wanted to achieve today, and as the bid grows, so will these events”, said Central Coast Bears Head of Football Operations, David Fairleigh.

The enthusiastic red and black crowd moved on to fill the Central Coast Bears’ bay at Bluetongue Stadium and were thrilled by the winning performance of Woy Woy junior and Newcastle winger Aku Uate.

“We would like to thank all of the members, supporters and fans who supported the Central Coast Bears and we hope to see them again in the future,” said David Fairleigh.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...ork-on-nrl-lobby/story-e6frg7mf-1225869801798

Central Coast, Perth work on NRL lobby

THE expansion claims of the NSW Central Coast and Perth are gathering momentum.

Yesterday, Bears head of football operations David Fairleigh revealed his fledging club was in talks with major banks and electronic giants over major sponsorships for a possible entry to the competition in 2013.
At the same time, the West Australian government pledged $80 million to the redevelopment of ME Bank Stadium and revealed its desire to have a team playing there in the near future.

The Central Coast is the most advanced of the pair and Fairleigh also revealed opposition Treasury spokesman and member for North Sydney, Joe Hockey, would take its fight for entry to the NRL to parliament on Tuesday night. Hockey is a club ambassador and foundation member.

The Bears have also reached an agreement to form a partnership with a school in the area while there are also plans to speak to the federal government over funding for a centre of excellence.

"The bid has grown enormously in the last few months," Fairleigh said.

"There's two parts to it -- there's a whole generation of people who see it as the Bears coming back, and a whole group of people on the central coast who don't care, they just want a team on the Central Coast.

"All the people who had the affinity to the Bears are seeing this as a big story -- here's a foundation club kicked out of the competition, been in the wilderness for 13 years, had a stadium purpose-built for them, fighting their way back."

Parliament and the public are one thing, the NRL clubs another. As optimistic as Fairleigh is, he and his fellow bidders face a fight to convince the clubs that they deserve a place in the competition from 2013.

In a sign of the enormity of the task they confront, one chief executive said yesterday: "It will not happen in 2013. We need more money for our players. Why would we be giving it to another club?"

Fairleigh is ploughing ahead regardless. Mortgage House managing director Ken Sayer is a board member while Fairleigh has been given hope by comments emanating from the NRL.

"All we know is what has come out of their mouth -- expansion is on the agenda and the Central Coast is an area that deserves a team," Fairleigh said.

"Our catchment is 20 per cent of the population of NSW. Members are currently joining at a rate of 15-30 a day. Over 1500 people attended our rally last Saturday night."

Perth's bid was supported publicly yesterday by Queensland legend Gorden Tallis, who was in the city to promote South Sydney's game against Melbourne next month.

Minister for Sport and Recreation Terry Waldron left no doubt his state was keen to once again host a team in Perth -- the Western Reds played out of ME Bank Stadium for three years before folding at the end of 1997.
They can press their claims when NRL chief executive David Gallop is in Perth for the South Sydney game.

http://www.centralcoastbears.com.au/news/Central_Coast_Bears_Youth_Mentoring_Program.html

Central Coast Rugby League Legends to join forces with local High Schools in youth mentoring program.

Rugby League legends and Central Coast Bears executives, Greg Florimo and David Fairleigh have joined forces with the Insight organisation to mentor students of Narara Valley High School on the Central Coast.

The pilot scheme will see sporting and leadership programs run at the High School on a weekly basis with plans to see the program expand to all Central Coast and North Shore high schools in the near future. The Jumpstart program aims to lift the spirit and self esteem of high school students, assisting them to identify their strengths and set achievable short and mid term goals.

“It is important for our organisation to be in touch with the youth, and to understand the issues and problems they are faced with. These programs will ensure the Central Coast Bears remain aware of the impact rugby league has on the community, and will give us an opportunity to truly connect with the fans,” said Central Coast Bears CEO Greg Florimo.

Phill Pallas, Senior Youth Worker of the Insight organisation is full of praise for the new program, “It’s a huge privilege to be partnering with the Central Coast Bears. When they walk into the classroom, student’s faces light up. Through the Jumpstart program we are having success with young people that we just haven’t had before.” Principal of Narara Valley High School, Andrew Eastcott values the contribution of the Central Coast Bears, “The beauty of this program is that the students feel a connection with the Bears and that link also fits in well with our new targeted sports program.”

The Central Coast Bears plan to have their entire playing roster and staff undertake similar programs within the schools, with a view to building a club culture focused on giving back to the community.
Great initiative by the Central Coast Bears RLFC to keep going into the wider community and building a foundation with the locals, the juniors, the schools and kids, as well as local businesses. Keep ticking off the NRL's boxes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts