What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears - Stand Aside

Status
Not open for further replies.

mightybears

Bench
Peter Peters need to generate a bit of interest in his blog/views obviously, as he has trotted out version 34 of his usual and tired bear rant.

And here is the part that was conveniently left out of the above article

I noted with interest that the sell-out crowd at Bluetongue Stadium for last week's Manly-Tigers clash had some suggesting it somehow underlined the passion Central Coast people had for rugby league.
Manly's tracking of ticket sales indicates the crowd was basically supporters from the Tigers and Sea Eagles who travelled north for the day.
It was not a Central Coast crowd saying, 'hey, we're going to support rugby league'.
It was the first sellout since 2000 when the Northern Eagles took on Newcastle.
Before Sunday, the four previous games there this year averaged 12,002.
The Tigers had won five in a row, Manly had to win, there is no love lost between the clubs, they are two outstanding sides.
It was going to attract a big turnout whether it was played at Brookvale, Campbelltown, Leichhardt or Gosford.

http://sportal.com.au/league-opinion-display/dont-get-into-bed-with-bears-95747

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Manly's tracking? :lol:

There's no way known to track those sales, I know I wasn't asked when I purchased the ticket who I was supporting.

What a joke of a comment.

EDIT: lol, didn't notice it was the fat heap writing the article.

Well done Zorba, you've outdone yourself.

Last edited:

11Straight

Juniors
PETERS UNLOADS

Not everyone is supportive of the bid for a team at Gosford, with Manly spokesman Peter Peters demonstrating that the ill feeling between North Sydney and the Sea Eagles was still strong in an online column headlined ''Don't get into bed with Bears''. Comparing the ill-fated merger between Norths and Manly to ''being forced to have sex with Miss Piggy'', Peters ridiculed the Bears as ''losers'' and said they should become just a ''memory''. ''Because I like the people of the Central Coast and love visiting their region, I am going to give them the best advice they will ever receive: Whatever you do, don't invite the North Sydney Bears to be part of your NRL future,'' Peters wrote on sportal.com.au. ''Don't let them anywhere near the joint unless you want to see the push for a team up there end up in more ruin than Belinda Neal at Iguana Joe's. Manly jumped into bed with Norths for the ill-fated Northern Eagles venture 10 years ago and it was like being forced to have sex with Miss Piggy. While I admire the passion of people like Greg Florimo - the CEO of a club that is no club - I just wish the poor old Bears would cop their medicine and just leave us with the memories. Memories of failure after failure and two premierships - way back in 1921-22 - in 100 years.''
Funny statement coming from that walrus.

Manly's tracking? :lol:

There's no way known to track those sales, I know I wasn't asked when I purchased the ticket who I was supporting.

What a joke of a comment.

EDIT: lol, didn't notice it was the fat heap writing the article.

Well done Zorba, you've outdone yourself.

http://premier.ticketek.com.au/Content/buyers/privacy.aspx

If you purchase tickets from Ticketek, we need to collect personal information about you, including your name, address and telephone number. The main reason we need this information is so we can contact you in the case of an event cancellation or to notify change of event details or replacement of lost tickets. We may also need some of this information in order to process your payment (for example, if you pay by credit card online). Unless you tell us otherwise, Ticketek may use personal information about you for marketing and research purposes. You can let us know about this at any time - all you need to do is contact Ticketek if you no longer wish to receive marketing material (the contact details of our Privacy Officer are at Section 9).

Note that sometimes Ticketek extracts information from our collected records to produce aggregated data. This aggregated data does not identify individuals. Ticketek uses the aggregated data for research purposes and may share the data with third parties.

so it would not be too hard for Zorba to track sales, fair enough that you were not asked where you came from, but how many people from sydney and the central coast would have ordered online or over the phone and given credit card details, which would have given a pretty good pointer where people were coming from

Red Bear

Referee
Peter Peters is a loathsome, offensive f**kwit. Prick and a half as dad termed him. No redeeming features for that wanker

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
http://premier.ticketek.com.au/Content/buyers/privacy.aspx

If you purchase tickets from Ticketek, we need to collect personal information about you, including your name, address and telephone number. The main reason we need this information is so we can contact you in the case of an event cancellation or to notify change of event details or replacement of lost tickets. We may also need some of this information in order to process your payment (for example, if you pay by credit card online). Unless you tell us otherwise, Ticketek may use personal information about you for marketing and research purposes. You can let us know about this at any time - all you need to do is contact Ticketek if you no longer wish to receive marketing material (the contact details of our Privacy Officer are at Section 9).

Note that sometimes Ticketek extracts information from our collected records to produce aggregated data. This aggregated data does not identify individuals. Ticketek uses the aggregated data for research purposes and may share the data with third parties.

so it would not be too hard for Zorba to track sales, fair enough that you were not asked where you came from, but how many people from sydney and the central coast would have ordered online or over the phone and given credit card details, which would have given a pretty good pointer where people were coming from

:lol: What part of that information you've extracted above says anything about Ticketek tracking which teams supporters attending a match followed? As I've said, I went to the game on Sunday and they'd have no way of knowing who I supported, just that I come from the Central Coast.

Peters' statement was pathetic though - "basically" is some pretty pathetic language - unless he actually releases some percentage figures, his off-the-cuff comment bagging the Coast has little or no meaning.

:lol: What part of that information you've extracted above says anything about Ticketek tracking which teams supporters attending a match followed? As I've said, I went to the game on Sunday and they'd have no way of knowing who I supported, just that I come from the Central Coast.

Peters' statement was pathetic though - "basically" is some pretty pathetic language - unless he actually releases some percentage figures, his off-the-cuff comment bagging the Coast has little or no meaning.

fair comments........but as you said they would know that you came from the coast, for arguments sake, lets say that Zorba and the Manly club tracked ticket sales and a fair percentage of the crowd bought their tickets in sydney, common sense would say that, a fair percentage of the sydney sales, were Manly and Tigers Supporters

i also know of at least 30 Manly and Tigers supporters from here in Taree who went to the match, wich would not have been included in Zorbas Figures, if he was looking at how many tickets were sold to to the match from the Sydney Area

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
http://www.theroar.com.au/2010/08/03/bears-or-bust-for-central-coast/

It’s bears or bust for the Central Coast bid
by Beowulf

Last week was full of good news for the Central Coast Bears bid team. On Thursday, David Gallop was very upbeat after being presented with an update on the bid by Greg Florimo and his team, and on Friday came the news of a breakthrough in negotiations regarding the establishment of an Independent Commission.

The final roadblock to possible NRL expansion is the resolution of an enhanced TV rights deal, expected to be finalized by mid-2011.

Whilst many league followers believe the Central Coast should have a team in an expanded competition, some claim the Central Coast should have its ‘own’ team – let’s call it the ‘Breakers’, playing in blue and yellow.

A brief look at the major factors considered in determining a licence reveals there is only one plausible option.

1. TV Revenue & merchandising
Expansion will only take place into areas that can increase revenues to the game. As the 2nd most watched team of the 1990’s, David Gallop has consistently stated the possibility of reconnecting with the Bears’ fan base is a major attraction of the Central Coast bid.

He has estimated over 400,000 people were lost to the game as a result of the Super League war, and re-establishing a Foundation Club will, it is hoped, regain the interest of most of these fans.

A Central Coast Breakers team would have the support of the Central Coast but nowhere else, hence there is no growth area.
For the same reasons outlined above, merchandise sales would be significantly higher for a Bears rather than Breakers franchise. As an interesting sidepoint for those of a marketing bent, the most saleable colour combination in international sport is……red and black.

2. Sponsorship

The Bears team already has strong corporate support centered around North Sydney and North Ryde. The attraction to companies such as Mortgage House is twofold – firstly, a diverse demographic comprising over 700,000 people on the north shore and 320,000 on the Central Coast … and secondly a chance to be involved in a truly great Australian story of perseverance and righteousness.

The support garnered for the bid in these economic times is remarkable and a tribute to the hard work of the bid team, but what corporate wouldn’t want to be associated with such a feel good story?

The potential support available on the Central Coast for a Breakers team is largely limited to the Central Coast where the smaller target market obviously provides a smaller corporate appeal.

3. Competition
With 10 years in the NRL wilderness, the damage done to the code on the north shore is palpable. The North Sydney District Junior Rugby League has remaining strongholds in the corridor stretching from the Hills District to Berowra, but this is under increasing pressure from soccer and AFL.

With the GWS franchise to base its players in the Hills District, it is a direct threat to this region for the NRL.
Encompassing the region within an NRL franchise assists the code at junior and senior levels, by granting a visual pathway to the NRL and allows the Bears administrators and players access to junior teams and schools for mentoring and coaching, thus providing an increased number of participants in the sport and for the NRL in the future.

4. Crowds
No one disputes that either a Bears or Breakers NRL team would average over 15,000 per year at Bluetongue stadium. The advantage of a Bears’ bid is the away crowd support, particularly in Sydney.

Bears supporters in Sydney will be on the doorstop of all stadiums in Sydney, ensuring 7-8,000 Central Coast + northern Sydney away fans to most games in Sydney.

A Central Coast only away crowd would add only 3-4,000 on average.
This will be a major attraction to other NRL teams wary of adding teams to the NRL and is a unique advantage.

There are also a sizeable number of Bears fans in QLD following the successful recruitment programs in the late 80’s and 90’s, who will swell crowd numbers in particularly Brisbane, the Gold Coast and CQLD if and when admitted.

5. Junior teams
For the Breakers, the local talent would come from the 17 junior teams on the Central Coast and for the Bears, 6 can be added from the North Sydney District to make a total of 23. Last I heard, 23 was more than 17, meaning more talent and therefore greater depth with the Bears bid.

6. Sustainability
For all the reasons above, the Bears bid is the more likely to have long term survival.

A strong business plan is the foremost requirement, with diverse forms of income that can sustain a team in good and bad times – I hear the Bears will have a model second to none in the league, with cash reserves approaching $6 million ( more announcements coming soon)!

The Breakers would need a ‘white Knight’, but this model is frowned upon by the NRL – the Gold Coast soccer franchise is a classic example of why!
It is almost meaningless talking about any option other than the Bears for the Central Coast for the simple reason that no better alternative can ever be put on the table.

The Bears have been working since 1991 towards this end, were largely responsible for building the stadium (still owning 20 percent with a 10 year lease on playing rights) and are passionate and committed to the cause of bringing a team to the Central Coast.

If anyone deserves a break, it’s the Bears.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
MEMBERSHIP DRIVE SATURDAY
This saturday our Membership Drive will continue at the Central Coasts two BIGGEST Shopping Centres, Erina Fair and Westfields Tuggerah between 10am - 3pm.

WESTFIELDS TUGGERAH - Outside Rebel Sports

ERINA FAIR - Outside Dymocks Book Store

nqcowboy87

Bench
i think we need a new team in the nrl and the next one must be the central coast without a doubt. think about this if the gold coast had not been admitted, there would be 17 top class players out of this game, and all we hear is how where ;losing players to toher codes and sl

Johns Magic

Referee
i think we need a new team in the nrl and the next one must be the central coast without a doubt. think about this if the gold coast had not been admitted, there would be 17 top class players out of this game, and all we hear is how where ;losing players to toher codes and sl

That's a really weird way of looking at it.

Ypu really think players like Eastwood, Karmichael, Folau and O'Donnell aren't good enough to make any of the current 16 clubs?

Billythekid

First Grade
That's a really weird way of looking at it.

Ypu really think players like Eastwood, Karmichael, Folau and O'Donnell aren't good enough to make any of the current 16 clubs?

That's not what he meant. We aren't losing players because they aren't good enough but rather because teams can't afford them.

If we have another 2 two teams the total amount being spent on players would increase as we would be paying an extra 34 NRL players.

Some of the high profile players leaving the game would be snapped up by the CC and Perth.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Folau and Hunt, aside as we still couldn't afford to match what AFL is paying them even with two new teams, the next level down, the likes of Lima, Hoffman, O'Donnell,Eastwood, Berrigan, O'Meley etc (not a bad pack that!) would be more likely to stay if there were two more teams.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
But how much more likely? Its not like teams didnt want these players, its that the teams weren't willing to pay what they are asking.

Willie Mason for example, there are a few teams looking to sign him, but he has payments that need to be made and it appears that Hull KR are willing to pay him what he needs.

Ryan Hoffman im sure would make a few NRL sides, but for the amount that is being offered over in the UK compared to what NRL clubs are willing to offer? Not likely.

Sure the extra 2 teams gives an extra 2 options, doesnt mean that any of them would be willing to offer $300K for Ryan Hoffman.

Red Bear

Referee
But how much more likely? Its not like teams didnt want these players, its that the teams weren't willing to pay what they are asking.

Willie Mason for example, there are a few teams looking to sign him, but he has payments that need to be made and it appears that Hull KR are willing to pay him what he needs.

Ryan Hoffman im sure would make a few NRL sides, but for the amount that is being offered over in the UK compared to what NRL clubs are willing to offer? Not likely.

Sure the extra 2 teams gives an extra 2 options, doesnt mean that any of them would be willing to offer $300K for Ryan Hoffman.
Wasnt there something about UK being a less attractive option because our dollar is about 15 cents better against the pound than what it used to be? Although to be honest at the end of your career playing in the ESL would be a great lifestyle option, playing overseas and being so close to Europe etc. Would be cool.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Wasnt there something about UK being a less attractive option because our dollar is about 15 cents better against the pound than what it used to be? Although to be honest at the end of your career playing in the ESL would be a great lifestyle option, playing overseas and being so close to Europe etc. Would be cool.

Not just that, its the tax loophole that's now been closed. The 2 competitions salary cap has always been similar, but the tax over there for over seas players has enabled players to keep more of their earnings.

And yeah the lifestyle would be a major draw card to some, but to others like Brett Kimmorley, its not. Its more of a hindrance.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
It appears that people think the standard of the league won drop much with expansion because we can sign players from over seas and other codes, which is true. But, thats just the tip of the iceberg. Where are the U20's players going to come from? The NSW Cup standard will drop even further when the Bears are admitted. Where will Perths over 20 players who arent in first grade going to come from?

Then with the lack of competition in the lower grades, the standard will inevitably drop and that will filter into first grade, and it will only take a season or 2 aswell.

We are starting, just starting to recover from the admission of the Titans IMO (but the NYC isnt helping), and they have a strong junior nursery, a team like Perth could really hold us back. Hopefully with their admission it will see the WARL grow its numbers, the odds of that seem fair. They are already stronger then the VRL.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It appears that people think the standard of the league won drop much with expansion because we can sign players from over seas and other codes, which is true. But, thats just the tip of the iceberg. Where are the U20's players going to come from? The NSW Cup standard will drop even further when the Bears are admitted. Where will Perths over 20 players who arent in first grade going to come from?

Then with the lack of competition in the lower grades, the standard will inevitably drop and that will filter into first grade, and it will only take a season or 2 aswell.

We are starting, just starting to recover from the admission of the Titans IMO (but the NYC isnt helping), and they have a strong junior nursery, a team like Perth could really hold us back. Hopefully with their admission it will see the WARL grow its numbers, the odds of that seem fair. They are already stronger then the VRL.

This is where expansion needs to be focused on all levels of the game, not just the top. If we are to expand into new territories then lets do it properly and have support for the WARL across all age groups, funding to run a SG Ball HMathews and NSW cup or Q'land cup side. We have produced 5 or 6 1st graders out of the WARL jnr comp in the last few years, we obviously need to be producing a lot more to sustain an NRL team but where there is a will there is a way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts