What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears - Stand Aside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goddo

Bench
Don't kid himself?

You clearly wouldn't have the foggiest as to the amount of work the Bears bid team (and the Mariners regarding their CoE for that matter) if you think it was solely based on marginalism and votes. There's no doubt that was a factor but to say it was solely the result of that belittles the enormous effort gone to by the administration of both the Bears and the Mariners.

Isn't there a massive plan to redevelop Gosford CBD? The CoE for the Mariners, the Bears, new university facilities, a foreshore presinct and CBD redevelopment are all part of it.

macavity

Referee
Don't kid himself?

You clearly wouldn't have the foggiest as to the amount of work the Bears bid team (and the Mariners regarding their CoE for that matter) if you think it was solely based on marginalism and votes. There's no doubt that was a factor but to say it was solely the result of that belittles the enormous effort gone to by the administration of both the Bears and the Mariners.

I am not saying the Bears (and the gypos) haven't put work in - I am saying that politicians don't care about work, they care about votes.

Countless other clubs work on their businesses as well, but they generally don't get public funding for their operations.

So either we take your view that the central coast franchises are intrinsically superior to every other sporting organisation in the country :)lol:), or we take the realistic view.... that the central coast is full of marginal seats, and politicians care about votes.

But please tell me your thoughts, I assume you know everything about politics as well?

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
I am not saying the Bears (and the gypos) haven't put work in - I am saying that politicians don't care about work, they care about votes.

Countless other clubs work on their businesses as well, but they generally don't get public funding for their operations.

So either we take your view that the central coast franchises are intrinsically superior to every other sporting organisation in the country :)lol:), or we take the realistic view.... that the central coast is full of marginal seats, and politicians care about votes.

But please tell me your thoughts, I assume you know everything about politics as well?

Never said the Bears were the most superior sports organization. What I said was that they've left no stone unturned and had we not lobbied to the politicians then what makes you think they'd come and help us? Politicians love jumping on things with momentum and at this point of time, the Central Coast BEARS have plenty. But it's momentum we've achieved through hard dedicated work. Not because we sit in marginal seats. Joe hockey supported us and became a foundation member months before we knew the date of the election. Months before Rudd was ousted and back when Nelson was still leader of the Liberals.

The growth of population dictated NSW's Labor Gov's decision to pump funds into our cause and the fact we aim to supply the CC with a Center of Sporting Excellence which can be used in collaboration with the Mariners and colleges/universities.

The negotiations for a grant was in talks weeks ago. Do you actually think Kristina woke up one morning and said "i gotta give the CC $100,000 to keep me in power?". Considering there's more important things that money can go into, this grant was as much about the locals wanting a team as it was for "votes".

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Isn't there a massive plan to redevelop Gosford CBD? The CoE for the Mariners, the Bears, new university facilities, a foreshore presinct and CBD redevelopment are all part of it.

I don't believe the Mariners CoE is part of the Gosford Challenge, the CoE is designated for the Club Tuggerah site on the corner of Bryant Drive.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
article by me, hope it's ok :-S
----

http://www.theroar.com.au/2010/09/02/central-coast-bears-hard-work-succeeding/

Central Coast Bears’ hard work succeeding

Another weekend, another successful membership drive. Over the past five days, the Central Coast Bears bid has had a shot to the arm. Almost Steve Rogers to Captain America like, the weakened Norths have been boosted by a super serum.

Now known as the Central Coast BEARS, the fledgling NRL franchise keep heading straight into their goals, full of momentum and there’s not a single thing anyone can do about it to stop it.

On Thursday 26th of August, the Central Coast Bears membership drive took post up in Lake Haven. Considered the most northern area of our territory and in borderline Knights country, the drive was a raging success.

$2,000 worth of merchandise sold and 96 members signed in one day. Truly, the supporters of this great club and promising bid must of been on cloud nine. Yet this was on a tiny scale compared to what happened in the next four days after.

Driving back down the Pacific Motorway for Saturdays Junior rugby league finals carnival held at the iconic North Sydney Oval, once again the Central Coast Bears posted up their membership stands and once again the results were fantastic. This time, on the back of a new $10 Junior Membership, the Central Coast Bears signed on another 50 or so new members.

The kids enjoyed every moment of the day and undoubtedly made better by the presence of their local NRL team. With memberships now at 2,500 and half way to our goal of 5,000 by March, things truly are looking good for the Central Coast Bears bid. But still the best was to come.

Sunday was a relatively quiet day but there was a storm of excitement building on the horizon and by Monday afternoon it rained, hailed and bucketed down some of the most promising news since the bid was conceived.

The NSW Labor Government had joined the Coalition (Mr. Joe Hockey in particular) and realised what an amazing opportunity the Central Coast Bears provide for the community of the Central Coast. $100,000 later and the ink is still wet on the dotted lines of the cheque.

The Central Coast Bears is now in a prime position to fully take advantage of an unbelievable wave of momentum.

NSW Premier Kristina Keneally, dressed in appropriate red and black colours, met with Greg Florimo and some of the smiling kids, who truly are the future of the Central Coast and the mighty Bears.

Finally the truth of it all starts to sink in.

Whilst other bids are happy with handshake and verbal agreements, the Central Coast Bears bid outright refuses to sit on their laurels. The only agreements that can be of any effect are contractual one. Agreements where money is physically pumped into an organisation and where initiatives are properly undertaken.

A fortnight ago, the Central Coast Bears announced a 10 per cent spike in memberships and new foundation sponsors. Many of those foundation sponsors are local Central Coast businesses. An important key to success is to incorporate community based companies into the team and the Central Coast Bears have just achieved this.

Now with local Foye Financial Services, CorpWrite, UBrandIt, Belle Properties BGC, CPS General, O’Gorman & Partners, Molly’s Cradle Wines, LA Group Building, Sorensen & Brown Solicitors joining the likes of Mortage House, Fortunity, Fone Zone, Sinalli, JJ. Lawson, Norths Leagues Club, Ooh! Media, NBN, ExCel Me, 2UE, StarFM, SeaFM, 2Go, Erina Fair, Rebel Sports and Good Gear. The sponsors are now part of the extended Central Coast Bears family.

With 2,500 members, the beautiful BlueTongue Stadium, $100,000 from the NSW Government and an undisclosed amount of equity. The further development of the coaching clinics, school and junior club programs and of course the successful Bears at work functions.

The next membership drive will again prove to be a storm of excitement.

The Central Coast Bears, 2013. If you thought it was hard to knock us back last week, it must be dead set impossible this week.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
JUST A REMINDER THAT

BEARS @ WORK - Central Coast
WHERE: Quattro's Cafe - Platinum Building - Erina
WHEN: TONIGHT @ 6pm

ALSO * The first race at Wyong today for their two-day carnival is the Central Coast Bears Maiden Handicap*

Last edited:

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
News from Monday, posted on the official page/

http://www.centralcoastbears.com.au/news/NSW_GOVERNMENT_SUPPORTS_BID_TO_BRING_BACK_THE_BEARS.html

NSW GOVERNMENT SUPPORTS BID TO BRING BACK THE BEARS

The NSW Government has thrown its support behind the Central Coast community’s push to bring back the Central Coast Bears – investing $100,000 to support the club’s bid for a National Rugby League licence.

The funding will allow the Bears to appoint a strategic business manager, who will develop a business case to press the NRL for the Bears to become the Central Coast’s Rugby League team.

The project manager also will be involved in community consultation, market research, data and information collection and reporting on the overall economic and community benefits of securing a NRL licence.

“The Central Coast is a region in its own right and we think it deserves its own team in the Rugby League,” NSW Premier Kristina Keneally said.

“We’re proud to support the people of the Central Coast in their bid to bring back the Bears.”

Local State Labor parliamentarians David Harris, Grant McBride and Marie Andrews welcomed the announcement.

“The Central Coast is a fantastic place to work, live, and visit,” Mr Harris said.

“The Central Coast is also among the top three “nursery” regions for junior rugby league – which means it plays a key role in the development of new players for the code.

“A regional team in the NRL will further boost the profile of this great area, helping attract business and investment to the region.”

“We’ve seen from the success of the Mariners what a strong local sporting team means to our community,” Ms Andrews said.

“An NRL licence can create significant economic, social and sporting benefits for the Central Coast, generating job opportunities and drawing large volumes of people to the region on a regular basis.”

Mr McBride said: “More than 16,500 Facebook fans, 2,500 financial members, a major sponsor in Mortgage House, local clubs and businesses are already onboard with the bid.

“North Sydney Football Club is also backing the proposal, so now we just need to convince the NRL that the Central Coast Bears club is sustainable.

“I’d encourage everyone on the Central Coast to get behind the proposal and help us bring back the Bears.”

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
Here is an interview from a few weeks back from Footyfootyfooty.com's Sam H & Greg Florimo http://www.footyfootyfooty.com/2010/08/interview-with-greg-florimo-on-central.html
Interview with Greg Florimo on Central Coast Bears

As promised, this week footy footy footy spoke (exclusively no less!) to Greg Florimo, former North Sydney star and current CEO of the Central Coast Bears outfit seeking admission into the NRL.
Here’s a transcript of our conversation with Greg. For our summary and analysis of the Bears’ bid itself, click here.

footy footy footy: Greg, you must be pretty happy with the last couple of weeks. You had that big crowd at Gosford for the Manly-Tigers game, some very positive press and a meeting with the NRL last week. What’s your assessment of how things are tracking on the bid?

Greg Florimo: Very positive. That was an indication of a couple of things, that crowd at Bluetongue Stadium: a) that people would get behind a Central Coast team and b) that the Sunday afternoon scheduling is very attractive.
It’s been a good week. Our meeting with David Gallop was just an update on where the bid is at, and its accomplishments to this point. There are still boxes to be ticked between now and when we present our bid formally. He was very encouraged and very supportive of what we’ve done. So yeah, it was a pretty good meeting.

In the past the NRL have been a bit notorious for sending mixed messages on expansion, publically at least. Presumably now, at least behind the scenes, you’re getting the right messages? Certainly David Gallop has been more expansive recently in public in terms of the timeline for getting new teams into the competition.

Yeah, he was been a lot more vocal on expansion recently, which is encouraging for us. Look, there are no certainties in this whole thing, so we have to make sure that we have absolutely every box ticked and that we can show the NRL what they need to see. And that is probably sustainability more than anything. We’ve just got to show ... not just that we’re here for one or two years, its that we’re here for 100 years.

On that front one of the advantages your bid has is that you have a pretty professional bid team up and running already, having been chipping away at it for a number of years now. That experience and having that professional team put together must be a big tick in that column as far as the NRL is concerned? Of the other prospective bid teams its hard to imagine that any are as accomplished as yours?

We’re pretty well advanced. We do have a great team behind us. We’ve got a board of directors now made up of 6 people. We’ve got a bid team. We’ve got a number of corporate partners. We’ve got 2000 members. We’ve got a great office space up at Erina. Obviously the ground’s there. There are all sorts of reasons why this should happen.

On the nature of the bid itself, its clear that while in effect it’s a clean relocation of the old Bears outfit to Gosford, you’re also putting a lot of emphasis on the North Sydney aspect – in terms of both the emotional connection to the old team and the business plan. That’s obviously a big advantage in many ways, but do you see any negatives in terms of convincing the NRL that another NSW team with strong links to Sydney is the way to go in terms of expansion?

No, I don’t see any negatives. I think the NRL realises it lost a core group of supporters when the North Sydney Bears were excluded from the competition. The AFL specifically had a marketing strategy to recruit disillusioned rugby league fans. So there’s an opportunity there to re-engage those supporters.
Obviously we are a Central Coast team. We’re committed to the Coast. We play all but one of our games on the Coast. But as far as sustainability goes its important that we maintain our links to the North Shore, simply because its economically healthier to do so.

One of the criticisms that gets levelled occasionally at the idea of putting a new team on the Central Coast is that there are lot of existing rugby league fans there who are perhaps catered for with existing teams. Do you get the sense that it’s the kind of area where particularly the younger generation would really get on board with a new team starting at the ground up?

Definitely I do. I think the community is crying out for a rugby league team to follow. Soccer has been successful to a point but it is a rugby league town. If you talk about tribalism, well I think the Central Coast community would get behind a team to the point where they’d fill the stadium every weekend, they’d travel away to support the team, buy merchandise, punt on the team, all those sorts of things.

And if you look at my generation – if you’re not a North Sydney fan, or you weren’t a North Sydney fan, well there’s some element of attraction to the Bears anyway. They might have been your second team, or someone in your family followed the Bears. There are not a lot of people out there that dislike the Bears. That’s probably another string in our bow.

Speaking of your generation, given your proud history at the Bears – the club from which you represented Australia – and your involvement with the bid process for a lot of years now, just how much would it mean to you to see the Bears back running around in the top flight again?

Oh look, it’s important for me, and for my forefathers. I think that there is so much history and tradition that has gone in to the club over the last 102 years that you just can’t turn up your toes and say ‘that’s it, it’s too hard, it’s all over’.

You’ve got to fight for it, and that’s what I’m doing. It’s for all those players and fans and supporters and families that have been touched by the Bears over the last 102 years, and about bringing some happiness back to them.

------

For the record, a big thanks to Greg for the opportunity to pose a few questions about the bid. As we’ve noted in an article at The Roar today, his willingness to do so speaks volumes about the professionalism of the bid itself. His happiness to do so also qualifies him for our footy footy footy Good Bloke of the Week award – or would, if we had one. We’ll look into it!
posted by Sam H

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
JUST A REMINDER THAT

BEARS @ WORK - Central Coast
WHERE: Quattro's Cafe - Platinum Building - Erina
WHEN: TONIGHT @ 6pm

ALSO * The first race at Wyong today for their two-day carnival is the Central Coast Bears Maiden Handicap*

Bears @ Work a huge success!! At least two more foundation members have come on board. We welcome Bluetongue Stadium and Bridgecoast Finance and congratulations to Bluetongue Stadium on winning the framed, signed foundation jersey and magenta shores stay and play pack in our auction.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/centralcoastbears?ref=ts

bobmar28

Bench
Tell me this. How many North Sydney people will drive up the freeway to see the games? Not many imo.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
North Sydney? You realise the catchment for the Bears extends along the entire length of the Pacific Hwy from Milson's Point all the way up to Catherine Hill Bay? That takes in Hornsby, Berowra, Mt Kuring-gai, Brooklyn etc, all areas within a shorter driving time to Bluetongue than some of the northern Coast suburbs.

Nice try at devaluing the Bears though. Try again.

docbrown

Coach
Tell me this. How many North Sydney people will drive up the freeway to see the games? Not many imo.

I'm not a Bears supporter, but even I can see there are some big potential Sydney games close to the North Shore that Sydney fans would go to:

Bears vs Sea Eagles @ North Sydney Oval - 20,000
Bears vs Sea Eagles @ Brookvale - 20,000
Bears vs Eels @ Parramatta - 20,000
Bears vs Bulldogs @ Homebush - 25,000+
Bears vs Rabbitohs @ Homebush - 20,000+
Bears vs Tigers @ SFS - 20,000+
Bears vs Roosters @ SFS - 20,000+

Plus 11 games @ Gosford

thorson1987

Coach
I'm not a Bears supporter, but even I can see there are some big potential Sydney games close to the North Shore that Sydney fans would go to:

Bears vs Sea Eagles @ North Sydney Oval - 20,000
Bears vs Sea Eagles @ Brookvale - 20,000
Bears vs Eels @ Parramatta - 20,000
Bears vs Bulldogs @ Homebush - 25,000+
Bears vs Rabbitohs @ Homebush - 20,000+
Bears vs Tigers @ SFS - 20,000+
Bears vs Roosters @ SFS - 20,000+

Plus 11 games @ Gosford

Hoping i can get there for that one.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade

This is where the Bears brand with the Central Coast really stands out. Say even if the Central Coast home games are consisted of mainly Central Coast residents and the odd Norths fans. That's still around 16-19,000 average for home games.

The real opportunity rests with AWAY games in Sydney & Brisbane. The Sydney based Bears fans WILL travel in Sydney, so automatically our away crowds are boosted. Say we get between 6-8, 000 away fans. That's a fantastic effort.

Then there's QLD. QLD boasts alot of ex-Bears fans who will no doubt attend games at Suncorp & Skilled Park.

We will start in the comp with around 25-28,000 fans. 70% will travel to the CC. The others will make up our AWAY support. There is no complaint from our side with those numbers, only excitement over the fact we are well supported already!

so Go the BEARS!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts