What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears - Stand Aside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
After another successful membership drive at the Erina Heights School fête today, we will move on tomorrow to the Avoca Bowling & Recreation Club Day on the Green.

WHEN: Sun 21st November, 10am-2pm.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
:lol: That desperate hey? Why does the Central Coast Bears offend you enough to want to be such a tool? :lol:

For the record, they currently have 3,500 financial members (memberships at $20 and $50 depending on what you want to put in), which also includes 48 foundation members, who have each contributed $5,500 each. The sponsorship on the jersey is all but sold with Mortgage House and Fortunity amongst a host of supporting businesses. Speaking of those jerseys - 1,000 sold.

All for a team that doesn't exist. :-k

The information above from this article:

$10 million on table to get the Central Coast Bears over the line

HE has already pledged $1 million a year in sponsorship to a club that doesn't exist.

Now, in a massive boost, Sydney businessman Ken Sayer says his company would be prepared to underwrite the Central Coast Bears for an astonishing $10 million if necessary to bankroll their bid for entry into the NRL in 2013.

In an amazing show of support for a project with no guarantee of success, the managing director of national home-loan lender Mortgage House says his boots-n-all approach is built around a major show of faith.

"I believe in the Bears and what they are trying to achieve and whatever we can do to help, we will," Sayer said.

After more than two decades of false starts and shattered dreams, the Central Coast has never been closer to having its own NRL side.

The detailed bid document is currently being put together and will go before the NRL, or the new commission, next March. A decision on expansion is likely by June.

Bears insiders argue their case for inclusion is already compelling and will only gather momentum as decision time approaches.

"There is a real positive vibe around the whole project," coach-in-waiting David Fairleigh said.

"We have more than 3500 financial members, have signed 48 out of 100 foundation members at $5000 each, the sponsorship on our playing strip has basically been sold and in the past 12 months, we have sold more than 1000 jerseys.

"Remember, this is a team that doesn't exist. We've got a stadium and a supporter base of fans who want to see the Bears return and the people of the Central Coast, who just want their own team."

For Sayer, the attraction as a sponsor and board member was the opportunity to help build the club from the ground up. He's been a sponsor of Parramatta and the Sydney Roosters and a part-owner of the Sydney Kings basketball franchise.

But he's never been more excited about a sporting venture.

Asked for his thoughts on the Bears' chances of getting the green light from the NRL, Sayer was optimistic.

"I reckon it's a no-brainer. It's a high degree of certainty. The league has all but said yes," Sayer said.

"The way they treat us, the response, the feedback and recognition and just the way local business on the Central Coast have embraced us, my view is we will be in."

Sayers believes a minimum of $10m will be needed in guarantees to win NRL approval.

"Obviously, the more cash we raise, the safer the first two or three-year journey will be," he said.

"I think we can raise it or, if not, we will underwrite it. That is a serious likelihood, but I am very confident."

NRL boss David Gallop gave little away about the bid and the Bears' chances of success.

"There is the issue of expansion to consider first and foremost and then there is the issue of whether you go into a completely new area and try to build it into a rugby league stronghold or whether you fish where the fish are and stick to the heartland," he said.

"The Central Coast certainly falls into the heartland category."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...rs-over-the-line/story-e6frexnr-1225957333872

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
The Bears have signed up more paying members than the ACT4GWS campaign. When do they get their 22 million dollars from the NSW government?

RWB

Bench
Am I the only one finding it hard to support this bid? I'd like to see a NSW team fold/relocate before this team started up. It's not a crack at the Central Coast but rather the fact that NSW already has enough teams and I'd really like to see newer markets get team, i.e W.A & PNG.

We already get a lot out of the CC in terms of juniors & supporters, I mean is a team there really going to add that much more to the league in terms of revenue and player depth? I don't think so...

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Am I the only one finding it hard to support this bid? I'd like to see a NSW team fold/relocate before this team started up.
Even if this was your team?

We already get a lot out of the CC in terms of juniors & supporters, I mean is a team there really going to add that much more to the league in terms of revenue and player depth?
So the Central Coast should just be a place where other clubs, especially those without juniors, can use it as there own private hunting ground? The fact that the central coast has these attributes strengthens their case for inclusion next time expansion happens.

I believe that a team should be added on the central coast. My initial belief was that it shouldn't be the bears but a new team altogether but the bears are the ones putting in the work so if they are given a licence to join good for them. The theory that putting a CC team in the competition is a step backwards because its already a strong league area is a misconception. The fact that there is expansion opportunities in NSW indicates that the game still has strong and growing support in this state.

The other big winter 'sport' in this country has no such luxury.

bobmar28

Bench
Am I the only one finding it hard to support this bid? I'd like to see a NSW team fold/relocate before this team started up. It's not a crack at the Central Coast but rather the fact that NSW already has enough teams and I'd really like to see newer markets get team, i.e W.A & PNG.

We already get a lot out of the CC in terms of juniors & supporters, I mean is a team there really going to add that much more to the league in terms of revenue and player depth? I don't think so...

The CC deserves a team and they have done a terrific job building the amount of support they have. But QLD is in desperate need of another team to be able to ward off AFL's push into that state. Four teams would give them more games on TV every weekend.

Three teams in the whole of QLD and 9 in Sydney is not an ideal situation. I would like to see a merger in Sydney to make 8 teams. That frees up a franchise for CC. Bring in WA Reds and Ipswich Jets to make 18. One new team to start up each year to prolong the interest.

Last edited:

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
Yep the article says it all. Also the haters say it all too. You only hate on things when they become too big to sweep away. The Central Coast Bears are doing a grand job. Today our membership drive continues too Avoca Beach bowls club and Westfield Hornsby, where flo and daisy will drop in at 11-12.

Timmah

Staff member
I believe that a team should be added on the central coast. My initial belief was that it shouldn't be the bears but a new team altogether but the bears are the ones putting in the work so if they are given a licence to join good for them. The theory that putting a CC team in the competition is a step backwards because its already a strong league area is a misconception. The fact that there is expansion opportunities in NSW indicates that the game still has strong and growing support in this state.

Exactly hit the nail on the head. The AFL would have no chance expanding "into" Victoria as there doesn't seem to be adequate facilities outside the city (excl. Geelong of course) to enable a team.

I think it's much smarter to drop a team into somewhere that already knows and loves league than it is to exapnd to somewhere that might prove a complete flop in a few years time.

Having said that, there's no guarantee the Titans will continue to be as successful as they have been, ticket prices are still exorbitant despite the honeymoon period being over - people will only stop "hanging the cost" for so long. And they've now got the Suns to compete with... sort of.

Goddo

Bench
The CC deserves a team and they have done a terrific job building the amount of support they have. But QLD is in desperate need of another team to be able to ward off AFL's push into that state. Four teams would give them more games on TV every weekend.

Three teams in the whole of QLD and 9 in Sydney is not an ideal situation. I would like to see a merger in Sydney to make 8 teams. That frees up a franchise for CC. Bring in WA Reds and Ipswich Jets to make 18. One new team to start up each year to prolong the interest.

Spot on. I have no problems with the Bears. I think it is a fantastic idea to have a Central Coast/North Sydney club - St George of the North sort of thing.

I am just worried about the greater Sydney area being over saturated with clubs struggling to find fans, members and sponsors. The AFL is meanwhile looking to contract in Melbourne by squeezing a club out and into Tasmania.

The IC needs to have some balls and try to squeeze the weakest Sydney side out, with financial incentives. Expand in Central Coast and Perth, and then relocate a weak Sydney side if the carrot is big enough. Ideally to Adelaide or Queensland.

This would be followed 5-10 years later with expansion in

* Christchurch or Wellington (bringing NZ to 2 clubs) and
* Sunshine Coast or Central Queensland (bringing Qld to 5 clubs)

Timmah

Staff member
Spot on. I have no problems with the Bears. I think it is a fantastic idea to have a Central Coast/North Sydney club - St George of the North sort of thing.

I am just worried about the greater Sydney area being over saturated with clubs struggling to find fans, members and sponsors. The AFL is meanwhile looking to contract in Melbourne by squeezing a club out and into Tasmania.

The IC needs to have some balls and try to squeeze the weakest Sydney side out, with financial incentives. Expand in Central Coast and Perth, and then relocate a weak Sydney side if the carrot is big enough. Ideally to Adelaide or Queensland.

This would be followed 5-10 years later with expansion in

* Christchurch or Wellington (bringing NZ to 2 clubs) and
* Sunshine Coast or Central Queensland (bringing Qld to 5 clubs)

I don't think that's necessary. The game will always be reasonably strong in Sydney, with a city of 4 million people or so, and the Bears have demonstrated they are able to pull on plenty of business support.

What is interesting is for the sake of argument sometimes the CC is "greater Sydney" and others it's "Regional NSW"

docbrown

Coach
I don't think we can afford to kick any club out of Sydney. This is why we have holes in our saturation where AFL and Union have grown due to disenfranchised supporters.

The best possible solution is an equal 50-50 merger between two clubs, preferrably one that connects a money base to a juniors base and in the process create a city-wide team - like the Wests Tigers. I'm not bashing the two clubs here, I don't have a problem with either of them - but an Easts-Sharks merger could be beneficial to both teams and put both on a much large profile.

In the short term we need teams in:
Perth, Central Coast, Brisbane, Wellington

In the longer term we need to look at:
Christchurch, Central Queensland, Adelaide

And beyond that:
Port Moresby, Melbourne, Sunshine Coast

Last edited:

beave

Coach
If the Bears get in, for the love of god they need to tweak that god damn logo.......... who wants to wear a jersey that has an AIDS ridden bear on it???????

299768-central-coast-bears-logo.jpg

Last edited:
Yep the article says it all. Also the haters say it all too. You only hate on things when they become too big to sweep away. The Central Coast Bears are doing a grand job. Today our membership drive continues too Avoca Beach bowls club and Westfield Hornsby, where flo and daisy will drop in at 11-12.

You reap what you sow.

You put shyte on the Sharks so be prepared that we don't give a f**k about the arrogant Bears!

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
It's been a long hard fight but the visions Greg Florimo has brought on board with the rest of the bid team has been the template for these great initiatives. Coupled with the growing support and the financial memberships growing due to the drives initiated by voluanteers on a weekly basis, sometimes giving up their weekends because of their dedication to the bid is amazing devotion. The Central Coast Bears will keep marching forward and building up on this. It's important to not lose sight on the real goals but acknowledgement is nice. The Central Coast Bears know what we have to achieve and we are commited to achieving that and establishing a first class team built by the community, for the community.

Last edited:

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
The Central Coast Bears community membership drives.
The Central Coast Bears membership drive out today @ Westfield Hornsby. Daisy popped in.

The Central Coast Bears out at Erina Heights School fete yesterday.

The successful membership drive @ Brisbane Water Oyster Festival from last weekend.

The Central Coast Bears membership drive attracting new members @ the Central Coast Kids Big Day Out last weekend.

RWB

Bench
Even if this was your team?

My opinions on NRL expansion aren't defined by which team I support. I haven't nominated or excluded any team so it's an irrelevant question.

So the Central Coast should just be a place where other clubs, especially those without juniors, can use it as there own private hunting ground? The fact that the central coast has these attributes strengthens their case for inclusion next time expansion happens.

No it's a miss conception of my point which you seem to have totally missed. I didn't even hint and it being a step backwards.

I'd love to see a team on the CC for all the reasons you pointed out but I feel if we're heading towards an 18 team comp that I'd rather see these two teams bring new player pools and new revenue streams which granted the CC will but not to the same potential that a team in W.A or PNG could.

I reckon we've got it the wrong way around in bringing the CC in before these two new regions, that's my main point.

RHCP

Bench
RWB said:
I reckon we've got it the wrong way around in bringing the CC in before these two new regions, that's my main point.

I agree. The Central Coast is consolidation, not expansion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts