What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears - Stand Aside

Status
Not open for further replies.

BunniesMan

Immortal
I'm still miffed as to how the Central Coast Bears are a Sydney club, playing 11 home games at Gosford.
Bears should take it as a compliment that some of the weaker Sydney teams see them as competition. The Bears will be based on the Central Coast and will play 11 out of 12 games in Gosford and they'll still have more Sydney fans than Manly...Easts...Cronulla...Penrith.

Quidgybo

Bench
I'm still miffed as to how the Central Coast Bears are a Sydney club, playing 11 home games at Gosford.
They're not a Sydney club, they'd be an eleventh club between Newcastle and Wollongong - a corridor less than 270km long. They'd be the 7th club within a 100km drive of Gosford. Fans in Gosford are not stuck for choice if they want to follow a team or attend games.

Leigh.

Knightmare

Coach
If you look at the EPL, there are just 5 clubs representing London. That's in a city bigger than Sydney. And they all have countless members and supporters. The NFL has just one club per city. The NHL is the same as is MLB. You don't need a lot of clubs in one city to have strong, well supported clubs and a strong competition. On field may be a different matter, and there are obvious exceptions to the rule. Less clubs is the way to go. Given the size of our population I think that is even more so.

How the f**k is this relevant to the NRL? The EPL runs by a promotion/ relegation system. If Crystal Palace, Millwall, QPR, Bethel Green and Milton Keynes were good enough, they would be in the EPL with Wet Spam, Chel$ki, the Gooners, Fulham and Yidspur no problems.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
They're not a Sydney club, they'd be an eleventh club between Newcastle and Wollongong - a corridor less than 270km long. They'd be the 7th club within a 100km drive of Gosford. Fans in Gosford are not stuck for choice if they want to follow a team or attend games.

Leigh.
So we're struggling to get crowds into Sydney grounds (apparently) yet we expect all the Gosford fans to hop in their car and travel 100km every second weekend or more to watch their team? When families are already complaining about ticket, food, transport and parking prices? :lol:

Take the game to where the people who love it are. The Central Coast loves rugby league.

chefman21

Juniors
How the f**k is this relevant to the NRL? The EPL runs by a promotion/ relegation system. If Crystal Palace, Millwall, QPR, Bethel Green and Milton Keynes were good enough, they would be in the EPL with Wet Spam, Chel$ki, the Gooners, Fulham and Yidspur no problems.

It's to point out that you don't always need a lot of clubs in one city to still have a strong competition and a competitive competition. The relegation system if anything strengthens my point which is a reason why I used the EPL as an example. If a club is consistently in the number one comp, then it generates support and stability such as that experienced by Chelscum, the Gooners and Spurs, far more than a battler like West Ham experiences. If you can generate that support and stability then your club - and by association your competition - is that much stronger. A lot of weaker clubs is not the way to go. Consolidate into less while at the same time expanding into new areas of the ilk of Central Queensland, PNG, Perth and co.

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
It's to point out that you don't always need a lot of clubs in one city to still have a strong competition and a competitive competition. The relegation system if anything strengthens my point which is a reason why I used the EPL as an example. If a club is consistently in the number one comp, then it generates support and stability such as that experienced by Chelscum, the Gooners and Spurs, far more than a battler like West Ham experiences. If you can generate that support and stability then your club - and by association your competition - is that much stronger. A lot of weaker clubs is not the way to go. Consolidate into less while at the same time expanding into new areas of the ilk of Central Queensland, PNG, Perth and co.
So why persist with weak clubs like Cronulla? Hell even Manly are weak at the moment. The Bears are strong even before a ball has been kicked - why not give them a license and play survival of the fittest? If weak clubs must die so be it - the game would ultimately be stronger for it.

chefman21

Juniors
So why persist with weak clubs like Cronulla? Hell even Manly are weak at the moment. The Bears are strong even before a ball has been kicked - why not give them a license and play survival of the fittest? If weak clubs must die so be it - the game would ultimately be stronger for it.

If clubs are folding then we aren't going to get any decent TV deals or sponsorship deals for years. That's a massive blow to the long term success of the code, especially since they are two of the biggest (the biggest?) revenue earners for the code. If I were an owner of a Sydney club, I would be seriously looking at merging. I've already made my feelings about a Roosters Sharks merger known in the past. I think that would be brilliant for us to merge with the Sharks. Ripe for the picking, good members, good juniors, land and a stadium. Two of those we are screaming out for. I think other clubs should be looking at the same thing. Or relocating. There is $8 million dollars on offer for a club to relocate. That would be a big boost to many clubs. Some supporters may hate it, but merging or relocating is a great long term move. Less is more, but folding is too much.

bobmar28

Bench
so we're struggling to get crowds into sydney grounds (apparently) yet we expect all the gosford fans to hop in their car and travel 100km every second weekend or more to watch their team? When families are already complaining about ticket, food, transport and parking prices? :lol:

take the game to where the people who love it are. The central coast loves rugby league.

That would be QLD.

Last edited:

bobmar28

Bench
So you use these numbers but they clearly indicate Brisbane gets less viewers for the live game and a bigger drop off than Sydney for the delayed game... Plus as good as these numbers are do they represent country or regional areas like the CC?

I never said Ipswich was SW QLD.. I said the team represents Ipswich and not SE QLD or SW QLD.. which clearly breaks away any potential fan base that could be in the SE or SW corridors because they are Ipswich alone. Therefore counting Brisbane populations means squat because they aren't here to represent Brisbane or SE or SW QLD.. they are here to represent the smallish population of Ipswich and Ipswich alone. Re-read it mate.

Like the Bulldogs represent that very small population of Canterbury and Canterbury alone?

bobmar28

Bench
That's just bullocks because every team has its fair share of support in QLD. Next time when the Broncos play, look at the crowd and you will see that almost half the fans are from the away team

Adding a QLD team might get more viewers in the short term but in the long run, due to CC's superior population you will find the numbers are similar if not better on the CC than Ipswich.

If the bid was SE or SW qld i'd say they would have a great shot.But they're not, they've isolated themselves to Ipswich and whats funny is even the locals of Ipswich aren't confident in a team and most could care less. It's only outsiders that believe they know whats best for them. I suggest these people go live in Ipswich for 3 months then come back to reality.

And I'm a proud Ipswich Jets Q-Cup member and occasionally still visit the club house for a lunch when I'm in the area. Truth is CQLD has more of a chance then Ipswich and even then they seriously lack infrastructure and resources (and i'm sure the almost broke QLD Labor Gov will help them out.... not).

Where would a south west QLD team go? Charleville? Cunnamulla?

Why don't we ask the people of QLD if they would rather have a fourth team in their state or an eleventh for NSW.

Last edited:

Goddo

Bench

Thats pretty dumb Timmah. Unless you are proposing a promotion/relegation system, that sort of plan of building up and tearing down clubs is very bad for RL.

bobmar28

Bench

If the Sharks merge with the Roosters that will free up a franchise for the CC Bears.

macavity

Referee
If the Sharks merge with the Roosters that will free up a franchise for the CC Bears.

Sharks and Rabbitohs makes the most sense.

The South Sydney Cronulla Rabbitohs playing out of Toyota Stadium in the merry christmas getup, with the sky blue as a change strip.

It isn't like the Buns play anywhere near their spiritual home anyway, and Cronulla is in South Sydney....

Similar length premiership droughts too.

you know it makes sense.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
Thats pretty dumb Timmah. Unless you are proposing a promotion/relegation system, that sort of plan of building up and tearing down clubs is very bad for RL.

Apparently not.
This is exactly what the NRL did in the 90's to Souths and Norths - so it must be good.

If Manly and Cronulla can't financially compete, it means there is lack of interest from fans and sponsors plus incompetent management. Sport, like business, can't survive with a "welfare" approach - so merge them - or delete them.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors

This is one of the approaches by these idiots arguing against the obvious - make things up to suit their argument.

Other classics are:
1. It won't help with TV rights revenue;
2. There aren't enough players for another team.

These idiots also single out other areas with a population of 1,000 and say "we need them to truly expand the game".

dannyboy

Juniors

If scummy cheating rorting clubs were booted into the pacific ocean the game would be all the better too.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Like the Bulldogs represent that very small population of Canterbury and Canterbury alone?
Are you seriously comparing Canterbury and Ipswich? I'm not going to bother pointing out why that's stupid, everyone can see it.
Noone is for tearing down clubs. We just hate the idea of a strong, healthy and well managed club being kept out just to help out basket case clubs. Let in the bids that deserve it and will be strong in the NRL, and force the weaker clubs to improve themselves. THAT is the best thing for the NRL, if the weaker clubs are too incompetent to improve themselves then they have to look at options like relocating or merging.
Sharks and Rabbitohs makes the most sense.

The South Sydney Cronulla Rabbitohs playing out of Toyota Stadium in the merry christmas getup, with the sky blue as a change strip.

It isn't like the Buns play anywhere near their spiritual home anyway, and Cronulla is in South Sydney....

Similar length premiership droughts too.

you know it makes sense.
Fail Troll is fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts