What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears - Stand Aside

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamkungl

Immortal
Crowd should be covered, players should not. Weather is a valuable part of Rugby League that should not be sanitised.

Perth Red

Post Whore
agree, not suggesting we all play in domes! Having been to Cronulla twice and paid alot of money for a "best" seats, had freezing wind and rain whipping in my face I can understand why they don't get huge crowds!

agree, not suggesting we all play in domes! Having been to Cronulla twice and paid alot of money for a "best" seats, had freezing wind and rain whipping in my face I can understand why they don't get huge crowds!

We've been very unlucky weather wise at Cronulla in recent seasons.

When the sun is shining it is a great venue to watch league.

Perth Red

Post Whore
We've been very unlucky weather wise at Cronulla in recent seasons.

When the sun is shining it is a great venue to watch league.

unfortunately relying on sunny weather on game day in winter, especially when so many games are played at night these days, is not a very sustainable way to ensure good crowds and guaranteed income from gate receipts.

unfortunately relying on sunny weather on game day in winter, especially when so many games are played at night these days, is not a very sustainable way to ensure good crowds and guaranteed income from gate receipts.

So which team has great crowds when it is pouring rain?

_Johnsy

Referee
There are a few issues when it comes to Cronulla drawing decent crowds.

Very average ground. Very Average team. Location. Recent history of club mis management.

The above certainly don't do them any favours.

adamkungl

Immortal
There are a few issues when it comes to Cronulla drawing decent crowds.

Very average ground. Very Average team. Location. Recent history of club mis management.

The above certainly don't do them any favours.

Like any other club, improving their membership will make the Sharks bottom line less dependent on weather, pokies taxes, and week to week form. However nothing except a boom year on-field and a couple of years of consistency will boost memberships after two near spoons coinciding with the start of the NRLs membership push.

If any club could use a bottom to top success story in 2011, it's Cronulla. Good luck to them!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Rubbish!!

When it rains it effect crowd numbers in a big way.

Even if the Stadiums are covered.

Just the fickle nature of supporters in the Country.

not saying they aren't but I would be very surprised if crowds at somewhere like Manly, Canberra or Cronulla do not drop far more significantly in bad weather than games at ANZ, Suncorp or Melbourne for example. I know I will never to go to Cronulla again unless its a nice day where as I would go to SFS even if it was raining.

ps this is a big concern for me in Perth as well as there is virtually no undercover seating at NIB. Hopefully the new stand will add alot more but I can still see us being affected in bad weather. Fortunately it never seems to rain here anymore!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Rubbish!!

When it rains it effect crowd numbers in a big way.

Even if the Stadiums are covered.

Just the fickle nature of supporters in the Country.
fickle? While weather doesn't play a part in my choice to attend games, I can understand why it does for some, particularly families.
Because the game is far superior to watch on TV then just about any other sport as well.
...and this.
Most of ANZ stadium is not under cover.
Of the 80,000 seats - I can guarantee that well and truly 50-55,000 seats at least would be undercover. What a dumb thing to say.

BDGS

Bench
fickle? While weather doesn't play a part in my choice to attend games, I can understand why it does for some, particularly families.

...and this.

Of the 80,000 seats - I can guarantee that well and truly 50-55,000 seats at least would be undercover. What a dumb thing to say.

50-55,000 seats? Bullsh*t.

I go every second week. When they only open the bottom tiers, the only seats under cover are the rows back. If you want a seat close to the action you get wet. Fact.

_Johnsy

Referee
50-55,000 seats? Bullsh*t.

I go every second week. When they only open the bottom tiers, the only seats under cover are the rows back. If you want a seat close to the action you get wet. Fact.

Wrong.

17 rows back from the fence GF day and not one drop of rain hit me. fact !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.