What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 doing more for AFL than NRL

When someone stains this forum with their caterwauling and imbecilic, vomit-inducing crap tossed up as "opinion", I sometimes feel the need to take them to task for the aforementioned caterwauling and imbecilic, vomit-inducing crap tossed up as "opinion".

You're a stain on this forum. Pretend fans like you are worse than trolls.

Find a noose and use it.

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
When someone stains this forum with their caterwauling and imbecilic, vomit-inducing crap tossed up as "opinion", I sometimes feel the need to take them to task for the aforementioned caterwauling and imbecilic, vomit-inducing crap tossed up as "opinion".

You're a stain on this forum. Pretend fans like you are worse than trolls.

Find a noose and use it.

The same response as the previous thousand odd. Do you know what a script is?

Caterwauling :). Did you get that one at TAFE?

El Diablo

Post Whore
The consensus on here seems to be that we should be foisting league on Melbourne. Why? We have league, they have AFL. They don't want to watch it. I fully understand their point of view. I don't want to watch AFL.
Blaming Gallop for Melbourne's disinterest in rugby league is bizarre. I am talking about others in this respect.

Nine can't afford to be showing league in prime time. Look at how quickly a network axes shows that don't rate.

I don't know about Brisbane, but the AFL show is shown very late in Sydney. I rarely watch our footy show now. I want to listen to football not crap. Ironically, I actually watch the AFL footy show 2-3 times a season. Why? They are able to cross the boundary between entertainment and football that our low brow footy show cannot.

the AFL footy show is shown at 9:30pm on Thursdays in Sydney and Brisbane. 9 only show the NRL footy show late in other states

9 decided to do a show called Footy Classifieds but only an AFL version. this is also shown in Sydney and Brisbane on 9HD at the same time and on the same day as AFL states gets it.

9 are showing the AFL GF Breakfast

9 are doing the Today show from Geelong promoting the AFL GF which will be shown on channel 7

9 did a 60 Minutes story favouring AFL over NRL

9 have more AFL shows than 7 and 10 combined

which sport do 9 hold the rights to but constantly f**k over by breaking contracts and doing as little as possible to promote?

Last edited:

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
the AFL footy show is shown at 9:30pm on Thursdays in Sydney and Brisbane. 9 only show the NRL footy show late in other states

9 decided to do a show called Footy Classifieds but only an AFL version. this is also shown in Sydney and Brisbane on 9HD at the same time and on the same day as AFL states gets it.

9 are doing the Today show from Geelong promoting the AFL GF which will be shown on channel 7

which sport do 9 hold the rights to but constantly f**k over by breaking contracts and doing as little as possible to promote?

Looking at that you'd swear they had the rights to the fumbleball.

SaveTheChildren

Juniors

9 are doing the Today show from Geelong

which sport do 9 hold the rights to but constantly f**k over by breakin contracts and doing as little as possible to promote?

The viewing spot for AFL footy show in Sydney has been very late at night. It may have been moved for the finals.

I can watch the AFL footy show and have a bit of a laugh even though I know very little about AFL. It is a far more sophisticated show. It doesn't make me want to watch AFL - I can just watch the show for what it is. They show very little footage of AFL which I am not really interested in.

The NRL footy show is by and large very very tiresome. It is far more low brow and simply does not appeal in the same way that the AFL footy show does.

AFL crosses class boundaries. Rugby league does not. As a show it is simply more marketable.

It is really just down to who you can influence. Melbourne live and breathe AFL. Sydney does the same in working class Sydney. It is not a conspiracy. Just greedy people maximising their profits.

El Diablo

Post Whore
The viewing spot for AFL footy show in Sydney has been very late at night. It may have been moved for the finals.

it's on 9HD on Thursday in Sydney and Brisbane at 9:30pm. has been for quite some time

Dirk Titan

Juniors
9 is a joke. Especially in such a special year for NRL. Just look at their website. The order of stories and the order of their sports at the top.

AFL, Cricket, Football, League then Union.

What a joke.:x

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/

I mean what a game of NRL Sat. Night. Can not get better advertising than the game its self unlike AFL. SH*T"S all over gAFL. And when do Melbourne get to see the game.

After frigen Midnight. Same this weekend With the Sharks V Storm.

SHAME 9 SHAME.:crazy:

parano1a

Juniors
it's on 9HD on Thursday in Sydney and Brisbane at 9:30pm. has been for quite some time

It's about choice. If people find Fatty and the Chief boring, they can flick over to Garry, JB and Sam. I sure wish the NRL version was shown on 9HD down in Melbourne so I could have the choice to watch either show live as well.

El Diablo

Post Whore
It's about choice. If people find Fatty and the Chief boring, they can flick over to Garry, JB and Sam. I sure wish the NRL version was shown on 9HD down in Melbourne so I could have the choice to watch either show live as well.

it's about promoting AFL and rorting League. that's why you won't see 9 showing it on 9HD in Melbourne despite it beig the code they have the rights to

parano1a

Juniors
it's about promoting AFL and rorting League. that's why you won't see 9 showing it on 9HD in Melbourne despite it beig the code they have the rights to

How is giving people the choice to watch either show rorting League? They are both variety shows loosely based around the sports. I agree with you the NRL show should be shown live in Melbourne on the secondary digital channel. But how is showing the AFL version in Sydney/Brisbane hurting League exactly? If people want to watch Fatty Vautin, they can. If people want to watch Sam Newman, they can. If they want to watch Law & Order SVU, they can. Nine should be praised for this, not sledged.

El Diablo

Post Whore
How is giving people the choice to watch either show rorting League?

because 9 do not give other states a choice to watch the NRL version. 9 don't do an NRL footy classifieds at ll let alone screen it in AFL states

they are only interested in promoting AFL

El Diablo

Post Whore
what valid reason could 9 have for promoting a code that is shown on 7 and 10 above the one they hold the rights to?

its no surprise 9 are no longer number 1 in the ratings

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
what valid reason could 9 have for promoting a code that is shown on 7 and 10 above the one they hold the rights to?

its no surprise 9 are no longer number 1 in the ratings

Well they want them back obviously. Their AFL show is very cleverly designed to NOT revolve around AFL footage. It is independent of AFL football, as ridiculous as that sounds. The AFL footy show is independent of AFL.

El Diablo

Post Whore
they're probably not allowed to use footage. they weren't in the past

and if you've ever watched the NRL footy show it has nothing to do with footy. 9 don't even atempt to make it worth watching

i'd wager its a plan of theres to make the NRL footy show as sh*t as vpossible so they can start broadcasting the AFL footy show come the next rights bid. they'll throw that in and the AFL will say other channels have to match it

i wouldnt trust 9. Gyngell and Crawley seem to do bugger all for the NRL despite both supposedly being league men

parano1a

Juniors
i'd wager its a plan of theres to make the NRL footy show as sh*t as vpossible so they can start broadcasting the AFL footy show come the next rights bid. they'll throw that in and the AFL will say other channels have to match it

Both Thursday night versions of The Footy Shows are variety shows. They have no direct link to the AFL or NRL. Why would they have any bearing on sports broadcasting rights? Any network is free to go ahead and produce any variety show based around any code of football, netball, basketball or lawn bowls - and if it's entertaining it will rate. These shows are designed to entertain through comedy and garner ratings points, not promote their respective codes.

El Diablo

Post Whore
well the NRL footy show is garbage. it gets caned every week in the ratings. just looking at the set tells you it's shot on a shoestring budget

i wish they'd just axe it or have a legitamate go at improving it

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
they're probably not allowed to use footage. they weren't in the past

and if you've ever watched the NRL footy show it has nothing to do with footy. 9 don't even atempt to make it worth watching

i wouldnt trust 9. Gyngell and Crawley seem to do bugger all for the NRL despite both supposedly being league men

You are dead right. nine didn't haven't the rights to the footage when it kicked off. The thing is, they kicked the 7 who had the rights. When they got the rights they stuck with the winning formula. It is business!

Latest posts