What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 wants to kill of a sydney club

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why? For who? Those who run Suncorp Stadium would make more money, but is there a realistic demand for twice the amount of games.

I guess I ask this from a very basic supply/demand. Will people be likely to go twice as much due to more games, or are they more likely to attend the same amounts just spread over more games? I would suggest the majority would be the latter.

I'm absolutely aware of this - but don't those supporters already follow other teams? Will they actually support the team or will they turn up in the short term because it's anti-broncos?

For example, in the short history of the Crushers - their average crowds when from 21,029 in 1995, to 13,016 in 1996 to 7,003 in 1997 (that drop off was significantly impacted by Super League and the loss of the Broncos derby).

The afl perth and Adelaide experience would suggest if done well both the existing club and the new club will see significant crowd growth. There’s 2.5million people in Brisbane, only 35k of them currently go to a game once a fortnight.

TheFrog

Coach
I have to question the need for a second Brisbane team? It's uniformly acknowledged that realistically there are too many teams in Sydney, and that the Broncos benefit from being the only team in the city - so why do the NRL need to water this down? How much extra revenue will be generated by putting in a competing team in the same city when they'd play at the same home ground?

I have no problem with Queensland expansion, but it needs to be in regions that are large enough to support a team and are not currently represented by a team. Gold Coast is great in theory, but in major sports it really struggles. I'm not one for saying they have to be relocated, but if they can't survive there - that's a separate issue.
Saying there are too many teams in Sydney isn't the same as killing one or more of them off when they are all perfectly viable.

T-Boon

Coach
It was pretty interesting and I agree it'd be right up @T-Boon 's alley. Gus even touched on the cycle of rules changing to encourage attack and coaches eventually figuring out how to contain that.

Yep I've been saying that for a few years, but don't give me too much credit because it is all just from studies the NFL did decades ago.
I get that the NRL does not have enough money to do comprehensive studies, so why not just steal from NFL studies (about things like how to build crowds). The NFL knows the answer to building TV/crowds is more exciting attack. Simple as that. It would be ten fold in the NRL because our defense is nowhere near as entertaining as NFLs defense.

VictoryFC

Bench
What about the current black holes in Sydney that dont have a club on their doorstep? Why do you feel ok about creating a massive black hole on the Gold Coast handing afl the region, why do you think Sydney nrl fans can’t travel 45mins but fans in other cities can? So many questions.

Tenpin bowling can have the Gold Coast for all I care. A complete nothing city. Gold Coast is tiny, and it's not an economic or cultural centre.

Sydney is massive, the economic power of this nation, and a cultural beacon. No team leaves.

Bojackhorseman

Juniors
Tenpin bowling can have the Gold Coast for all I care. A complete nothing city. Gold Coast is tiny, and it's not an economic or cultural centre.

Sydney is massive, the economic power of this nation, and a cultural beacon. No team leaves.
As a gold coaster I take exception to this. We’ve got the Burleigh Bears mate!

mongoose

Coach

yep such a tiny nothing city

stargc.png

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
a large percentage of the GC population is transient, or effectively not really part of their population

investors want the Asian dollar so not much return on investing in RL

all codes have failed here in the past, not even the AFL can make it work up here

The Great Dane

First Grade
The GC clubs "failures" aren't because the GC is somehow a bad market, it's because the clubs on the GC have all been chronically mismanaged their whole existence.

Considering that if you add all of the incarnations of the GC clubs together they have only made the finals 4 times (97, 09, 10, 16) out of their 23 seasons in the comp, it's amazing that they have been as successful as they have been. If you give that success rate to most of the other clubs in the league they'd have gone broke by now, yet despite how poorly they are run and how little success the teams have had the Titans still pull numbers not dissimilar to the other smaller clubs in the competition.

If the Titans were well run, or even if they simply had competent management, they'd be doing better then most of the competition right now.

Bojackhorseman

Juniors
The GC clubs "failures" aren't because the GC is somehow a bad market, it's because the clubs on the GC have all been chronically mismanaged their whole existence.

Considering that if you add all of the incarnations of the GC clubs together they have only made the finals 4 times (97, 09, 10, 16) out of their 23 seasons in the comp, it's amazing that they have been as successful as they have been. If you give that success rate to most of the other clubs in the league they'd have gone broke by now, yet despite how poorly they are run and how little success the teams have had the Titans still pull numbers not dissimilar to the other smaller clubs in the competition.

If the Titans were well run, or even if they simply had competent management, they'd be doing better then most of the competition right now.
Exactly mate. The game is massive up here.

T-Boon

Coach
a large percentage of the GC population is transient, or effectively not really part of their population

investors want the Asian dollar so not much return on investing in RL

all codes have failed here in the past, not even the AFL can make it work up here

The Titans got excellent crowds their first couple years and when they had a good team.
They have just had a crap team for a long time.

VictoryFC

Bench
The Titans got excellent crowds their first couple years and when they had a good team.
They have just had a crap team for a long time.

Or did they get excellent crowds because it was their first couple of years? Obviously crowds would go up if they were challenging for a top 4 spot. But there's way too much evidence in world sport that new clubs that get good attendances tend to drop off around year 3-4.

Latest posts