What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chris Houston cleared of drug charges

natheel

Coach
1999 pull ya head outta ya arse ya dick head seriously u get joy from putting down other fans for their clubs misfortunes??? Ur the reason half us fans are ashamed to have people like urself support our game go back to AFL they might just welcome u down there

1999 pull ya head outta ya arse ya dick head seriously u get joy from putting down other fans for their clubs misfortunes??? Ur the reason half us fans are ashamed to have people like urself support our game go back to AFL they might just welcome u down there

couldnt agree more mate

MsStorm

Bench
I feel sorry for the Newcastle fans at the moment.
They'd have to be one of the more passionate and friendly visiting fans that I ever come across at Olympic Park.

Just because a few stupid players have mucked up, shouldn't mean the whole club should be smeared with a tag that its a drug castle.

Alex28

Coach
I didn't allege, I stated that they got suspended for drugs, which is true.
There are a couple of reasons I don't need to retract a damn thing:
1) That has been proven true and correct by the amount of games they spent on the sidelines
2) (Motions to book containing the names and contact details of well over 40 legal staff, many that have those small but significant initials of 'SC' with their names) Are you feeling litigant Alex?, well are you punk?................. put it back in the holster arse clown.
I was talking drug dealing. You are listing a bunch of drug users. What are you doing on a forum - you can't even f***ing read.

coolsteve

Juniors
lets stop it straight away, drug test all nrl players AND club officials right now.anyone caught out,piss em off.gallop and all

coolsteve

Juniors
look, its a start. this thing is gonna fester for months ,headlines for all the wrong reasons.the last thing league needs is sponsers dropping off like flies.dickheads selling to supplement their income?

Pierced Soul

First Grade
id have money on the knights to get the spoon but i think the warriors are just a worse team....

i do feel for the fans though, even if these two players were found innocent it does taint the club and everyone associated with it and it'll take a few years to move past that -i.e. bulldogs

bet brian smith is happy he got out now

Garts

Bench
Feel sorry for the fans. Although I am glad it is not Manly in the headlines at this time of year again.

BY KEVIN CRANSON
02 Mar, 2010 04:00 AM
THE big hits just keep coming for the Knights.

First came the revelations in 2007 that former captain Andrew Johns took social drugs for much of his first-grade career to help him deal with depression and bipolar disorder.

The suggestion at the time was that some in the Knights hierarchy were aware that their matchwinning halfback was playing Russian roulette with the NRL's drug-testers.

Johns was largely forgiven by the fans, and his very public efforts to deal with his issues and shine a light on his condition have been widely applauded.

The Knights, too, have worked hard since then to put the shine back on their tarnished armour.

Drug-testing has been increased to well above the NRL's minimum requirements, their player education program has been lauded, and noted disciplinarian Brian Smith was appointed coach in 2007 with a brief to clean out the playing roster and rebuild the club's culture.

Those efforts were undone on December 16 last year when front-rower Danny Wicks was charged with a raft of drug offences.

Police suggested in court that their investigations might not end with Wicks.

That proved true yesterday when second-rower Chris Houston was also charged with drug offences.

Both were brought to the club by Smith.

In the intervening period, the club chased hard to sign renowned NRL bad boy Willie Mason, who was out of favour with Smith at his new club, the Roosters.

Mason signed with the Cowboys.

Mason's brother Les was charged at the weekend with supplying ecstasy.

There is no suggestion that Willie was involved in the allegations against his brother, but it wouldn't have been a good look for the Knights if he was on their books.

When Wicks was charged, the Knights were quick to deny that the club had a drug culture.

"To the best of our knowledge, of course, we don't believe that there is any involvement from any other player, nor do we believe that we have a drug culture in our club," Burraston said at a press conference.

"We do test more than any other club in the NRL and our tests have been clear [so] we certainly don't believe we're at that state.

"From our meeting this morning with the players, and I've also met with all our staff this morning, I don't believe there is any involvement in drug supply or in using illicit substances throughout our club."

There were no such bold statements from the club yesterday.

Neither Burraston nor club chairman Rob Tew returned calls from The Herald.

Instead, the club released a two-sentence statement: "Newcastle Knights player, Chris Houston has been stood down immediately and indefinitely following reports he was charged this afternoon on drug related allegations. The Newcastle Knights will not be making any comment until further notice."

The club's supporters deserve better than this head-in-the-sand attitude.

They want someone to assure them their club isn't going down the gurgler.

So far fans and sponsors have stuck solid.

Good thing too, because the club literally cannot afford a backlash from those who pay the bills. The Knights have an accumulated debt of more than $2.5 million.

On top of that, they face two court battles that will have a major impact on their dire finances.

They are seeking compensation from the State Government for losses they claim to have incurred during the refurbishment of EnergyAustralia Stadium and are withholding a reported $1.5 million in rent.

Meanwhile, they are suing their sub-tenant at EAS, Jets owner Con Constantine, for more than $300,000 he is withholding from them for basically the same reason.

If one of the club's bigger sponsors was to decide that they didn't want to be associated with the Knights "brand" any more, the consequences would be devastating and possibly terminal.

Against this backdrop, the Knights must try to get their act together on the field.

Wicks was a fringe first-grader, but Houston was on the verge of representative selection last season and had been earmarked as a future club captain.

Most agencies have suspended betting on the wooden spoon, but you could lay London to a brick that when markets reopen the boys from Newcastle will be favourites.

The Knights will hold their season launch on Thursday.

It promises to be a sombre affair.

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...to-bring-down-castle/1764383.aspx?storypage=0

Last edited:

SRB_SEA_EAGLE

Juniors
Considering Houston was flat mates with Wicks , the chances of him not getting dragged into the drama were slim....The chance of him not being aware of the wicks drug dealing were remote , so being an accessory was always most likely. The fact that they have now busted Houston for 4 counts of dealing , would IMO suggest that there may be some very very nervous individuals who may have been customers of the pair. The nature of footy teams and players , would suggest that the dealing was known amongst the knights players. I expect some more names to come out considering the supposed hours of taped telephone calls the coppers have. Should this happen , what chance a " greg bird" like scenario where the any player implicated will suggest any drug puchase was " for a mate" and try and pass the blame onto their not so famous mates ??

The dogs have recovered from Coffs , and are now " the family club" in a short space of time...Newcastle have the opportunity to declare war on any person in their organisation , and im sure will become the " cleanest" club with measures they will have to take , and whatever they decide to do , it will have the backing of the knights fans in order to clean the joint out , regardless of which players , or however many players are involved.

jc155776

Coach
McDonalds has come out in support of Newcastle as a sponser.

Will be releasing a new Knights Meal deal.

No Burger and Fries, just coke and ice.

jc155776

Coach
On a more serious note, would have to say the board will have to go and a new club image and brand started from scratch IF this gets any worse.

And it looks like things will.

Latest posts