What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clive Churchill Medalist

DCE 4 CC?

• Yes

Votes: 67 57.3%
  • No

Votes: 50 42.7%

• Total voters

Meth

Staff member
I think Watmough was the best over 80 minutes. I feel like the Roosters won on the back of several big plays (which is to take nothing away from them) rather than a diligent 80 minute performance. That being the case, SBW was the best Rooster on the park.

shiznit

Coach
In more detail from same article

"We get told to pick the best player on the ground, and the best player on the ground was Cherry-Evans," McCarthy said. "Whether he came from Easts or Manly ... it's just how it was. It's happened before. He was the best player on the ground.

"Every time he got the ball he was dangerous. If Manly had won ... there'd be none of this. Manly were leading 18-8, and it was Cherry-Evans.
"Then when Easts came over the top, it was still Cherry-Evans. No one really took it off him.

"Would you give it to Maloney?" McCarthy said. "What did he do? Twice he got caught with nothing to do, and he put the ball in the air and they scored a try. He was cornered. That was luck. You can't give a Churchill Medal for that, or for kicking four goals.
"I think Sam Moa was possibly their best player, but he played 45 minutes. You can't give a bloke a Churchill Medal for that. But that 45 minutes was quality."
Of Williams, he said: "Sonny was awful in first half. He came good with 10 minutes to go when Manly had their two front-rowers and Watmough off the field."

Asked about the sight of Cherry-Evans receiving his award amidst a chorus of boos, McCarthy said: "That's got nothing to do with us. That's the Roosters supporters. If they look at the game, and watch it again, they'll see he was the best player on the field."
:lol:

And he's a selector??

The Brain

Juniors
The NRl is full of dickheads these days too many " Jobs for the boys" I welcome more blokes like Dave Smith with no biaseness etc to be involved new bllod is needed.
In the end DCE wouldve missed a world cup spot if Maloney got it .That means a selector is up to no good all involved should be sacked now.The medal has been exposed as a fraud .Should be retrieved and given to its rightful owner before more shame melts the NRL

shiznit

Coach
The NRl is full of dickheads these days too many " Jobs for the boys" I welcome more blokes like Dave Smith with no biaseness etc to be involved new bllod is needed.
In the end DCE wouldve missed a world cup spot if Maloney got it .That means a selector is up to no good all involved should be sacked now.The medal has been exposed as a fraud .Should be retrieved and given to its rightful owner before more shame melts the NRL
I think Maloney deserved the CC medal...

But there's no way he gets a Kangaroos jumper over DCE.

When you take a look at the entire season including the finals series... DCE has been the best halfback in the competition this season...

betcats

Referee
The more I think about it the more I am happy with DCE getting it.

SBW didnt deserve it, he played good for like 15minutes, maybe Maloney could of got it.

Danish

Referee
I like how all the apologists are pointing to Maloney kicking a ball out on the full as a reason why he shouldn't have got it.

Does kicking the ball into the opposition twice in a row on the 4th tackle not count as a major f**k up by Evans? Massive panic button pushed there. He also went completely missing for the last 20 minutes of each half, so much so that Brett freaking Stewart was left with the kicking duties with 3 minutes to go and the game on the line.

McCarthy is just a bitter Souffs hasbeen still devastated that his shithouse club choked the week prior.

Mr Saab

Referee
Maloney should have got it. Cant believe they gave it to a losing player.
Keve Walters should have got it in 1993
Royce Simmons should have got it in 1991.

The selectors have really got to take a good hard look at themselves...esp McCarthy who had to justify the selection of DCE by putting down Maloney and SBW....stay classy Bob....stay classy

Eelementary

Post Whore
Don't think it matters. A player on the losing side can still be best on park.

Besides, ask any of the Roosters of they give a shit - would they trade their Premiership medals for a Clive Churchill medal?

Also, I'd kill to have DCE in Eels colours tbh.

In more detail from same article

"We get told to pick the best player on the ground, and the best player on the ground was Cherry-Evans," McCarthy said. "Whether he came from Easts or Manly ... it's just how it was. It's happened before. He was the best player on the ground.

"Every time he got the ball he was dangerous. If Manly had won ... there'd be none of this. Manly were leading 18-8, and it was Cherry-Evans.
"Then when Easts came over the top, it was still Cherry-Evans. No one really took it off him.

"Would you give it to Maloney?" McCarthy said. "What did he do? Twice he got caught with nothing to do, and he put the ball in the air and they scored a try. He was cornered. That was luck. You can't give a Churchill Medal for that, or for kicking four goals.
"I think Sam Moa was possibly their best player, but he played 45 minutes. You can't give a bloke a Churchill Medal for that. But that 45 minutes was quality."
Of Williams, he said: "Sonny was awful in first half. He came good with 10 minutes to go when Manly had their two front-rowers and Watmough off the field."

Asked about the sight of Cherry-Evans receiving his award amidst a chorus of boos, McCarthy said: "That's got nothing to do with us. That's the Roosters supporters. If they look at the game, and watch it again, they'll see he was the best player on the field."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...lector-says-20131007-2v3vz.html#ixzz2h2PQzA9R

In trying to justify the decision, McCarthy actually makes an idiot out of himself in my opinion. Firstly it helps if you have your facts right. Maloney kicked 5 goals and NOT 4, and the NRL's website says Moa played 54 minutes, not 45 minutes. Further SBW came good in the last 10 minutes eh? Shaun Kenny-Dowell's try was scored in the 60th minutes from SBW's offload - hardly the last 10 minutes. :crazy:

Also some of the comments do come across as insulting to the players he discusses. If Maloney's kicking (in general play and goal kicking) is so "lucky", I'd like to see Mr McCarthy do it - I mean it's not like players practice kicking now is it? :sarcasm:

As to his comments about Moa, to me that reads as "no player who does not play the full 80 minutes can ever be awarded the Clive Churchill Medal". The days of 13 players playing the full 80 minutes is gone and it is time Mr McCarrthy realised it is not the early to mid-1970s any more. Rightly or wrongly the game has changed.

If he'd just come out and said "that was our opinion" then that is fine, but to say what he did as justification just makes him look stupid to me.

Part of the problkem though stems from the fact that they decide on the Clive Churchill medalist well before fulltime. It is well known. As such they are not looking at the impact of a player over the full 80 minutes of the game. For example, in 2002 the selectors picked Craig Fitzgibbon as Clive Churchill Medalist, even though it was Brad Fittler's setting up 3 of the 4 tries scored in the second half which won us the game. It is time that the NRL changed it so that votes are not cast until after fulltime. I mean how hard is it to count up when it is 4-5 people voting?

Bench
In trying to justify the decision, McCarthy actually makes an idiot out of himself in my opinion. Firstly it helps if you have your facts right. Maloney kicked 5 goals and NOT 4, and the NRL's website says Moa played 54 minutes, not 45 minutes. Further SBW came good in the last 10 minutes eh? Shaun Kenny-Dowell's try was scored in the 60th minutes from SBW's offload - hardly the last 10 minutes. :crazy:

Also some of the comments do come across as insulting to the players he discusses. If Maloney's kicking (in general play and goal kicking) is so "lucky", I'd like to see Mr McCarthy do it - I mean it's not like players practice kicking now is it? :sarcasm:

As to his comments about Moa, to me that reads as "no player who does not play the full 80 minutes can ever be awarded the Clive Churchill Medal". The days of 13 players playing the full 80 minutes is gone and it is time Mr McCarrthy realised it is not the early to mid-1970s any more. Rightly or wrongly the game has changed.

If he'd just come out and said "that was our opinion" then that is fine, but to say what he did as justification just makes him look stupid to me.

Part of the problkem though stems from the fact that they decide on the Clive Churchill medalist well before fulltime. It is well known. As such they are not looking at the impact of a player over the full 80 minutes of the game. For example, in 2002 the selectors picked Craig Fitzgibbon as Clive Churchill Medalist, even though it was Brad Fittler's setting up 3 of the 4 tries scored in the second half which won us the game. It is time that the NRL changed it so that votes are not cast until after fulltime. I mean how hard is it to count up when it is 4-5 people voting?
McCarthy has had 42 years of making excuses,his latest is a joke,Tupou made Maloney look good what a joke of a statement.
Maloney landed 2 bombs on the spot for Tupou who made 2 great catches,what about the his line break for SKD's try,his kick for Jenko's try,his 5 from 5 or his in your face defence.
His whole argument is littered with inaccuracies,he is no longer relevant in todays game,coupled with Bozo's selection another guy out of touch,they were never gonna get it right.

Joker's Wild

Coach
His kick for Jennings was a shocker if not for Michaels speed and skill. Any other centre in the comp would never had gotten to that ball. Im skeptical that Maloney calculated that given just how close it was to the deadball line

DCE was making the aussie squad with our without the CC. I cant see how Maloney would have been picked ahead of him

perverse

Referee
BK should have won the medal in 2001, not Andrew Johns. The award has been a farce for a long time - much like most other league awards, really.

What about Origin's MoM and man of series? There were at least 1 or 2 man-of-series awards that Thurston blatantly stole from Steve Price that I can remember off the top of my head in recent memory.

Is it any surprise that a sport that is heavily run and influenced by the media has media darlings as its award winners? I often feel that the media purposefully manufacture legend around certain players rather than letting them build it themselves with their football. Sells papers, I guess.

Last edited:

Eelementary

Post Whore
BK should have won the medal in 2001, not Andrew Johns. The award has been a farce for a long time - much like most other league awards, really.

What about Origin's MoM and man of series? There were at least 1 or 2 man-of-series awards that Thurston blatantly stole from Steve Price that I can remember off the top of my head in recent memory.

Is it any surprise that a sport that is heavily run and influenced by the media has media darlings as its award winners? I often feel that the media purposefully manufacture legend around certain players rather than letting them build it themselves with their football. Sells papers, I guess.

BK and Steve Simpson f**king brained us that night! They were best on park by a country mile.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Joey was a freak and a modern day great - no doubt about it.

But Kennedy was one of the most damaging ball runners I've seen, and Simpson was just a great player, and they both combined that night to yeah our young side a lesson in forward play. It was painful as an Eels fan, but inspirational as a footy fan.

bor

Juniors
Part of the problkem though stems from the fact that they decide on the Clive Churchill medalist well before fulltime..SNIP..It is time that the NRL changed it so that votes are not cast until after fulltime. I mean how hard is it to count up when it is 4-5 people voting?

Then the NRL would need to establish a small committee to count the votes, another to check the original committee's counting. Even then I don't think counting is a strong part of the NRL's job search criteria, as highlighted in this year's finals series.

But I do agree that they should vote after the game to get a better view of the players and their impact on the game. Some times the last 10-20 mins can have a massive bearing on the game and the outcome.

The Brain

Juniors
Brent Kite - 56 mins - Churchill medal.
Willie Mason 55 mins - Churchill medal.
Sam Moa - 54 minutes - "Didn't play long enough"

So the General consenses is that DCE got it as to assure him a spot on the WC squad they needed a fourth half back the Ozzies dont need any 5/8ths
NRL are dumb dumb dumb

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
So the General consenses is that DCE got it as to assure him a spot on the WC squad they needed a fourth half back the Ozzies dont need any 5/8ths
NRL are dumb dumb dumb

No thats not the consensus.

Bob McCarthy is a typical NSW dinosaur, but that doesn't mean DCE didn't have a great game on Sunday night.

Latest posts