What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaching Candidates 2016

Spot On

Coach
Anthony Griffin's name is getting thrown around a bit more it seems.

Not sure what I think of him. He didn't do a great deal with the Broncos - at least not what Bennett has achieved. But he did help Ben Hunt get to an elite status in the game, so that's a huge plus for him and his development skills.

I agree somewhat with this but there have been a few personnel (key) changes to the squad that he may have done well with too. Although, Bennett had the foresight to get rid of the players he thought weren't required for whatever reason, something I don't think Hook would have done. That worries me if he comes here because there are clearly some blokes that need punting. Would he do it?

voltron

Juniors
Brown doesnt excite me
He didnt do what Trent Robinson did with a third rate super league side, making them competitive and Dureau into a possible Man of Steel
he took St Helens, one of the power houses of the comp to the top.

I wouldn't be as excited about Brennan as i would've been 12 months ago, but he is my preference
the walker brothers would make the place exciting, and make our players run and support
but I dont know encouraging quick play the balls, the top teams would smash us
but I want to see it implemented in the league

Noname36

First Grade
Having given it some thought I've changed my mind and I reckon we should give the Walker Brothers a go. Yes it could be a spectacular failure but we're already failures so it's not like we'd have much to lose and I can't really see any of the other available options coming in here and being able to change much as it is. Also with the interchanges dropping we'd have a style that would be able to exploit that.

Jono078

Referee
I think one big thing against the Walker bros is that if they do come as a package, each still needs to make a salary..

EDIT: I mean to say, it'll probably mean we have to unload an assistant, or Hagan..

Last edited:

Noname36

First Grade
I think one big thing against the Walker bros is that if they do come as a package, each still needs to make a salary..

EDIT: I mean to say, it'll probably mean we have to unload an assistant, or Hagan..

Yes please.

PhilGould

Bench
I like the ambition, a premiership in the next 3 years might be pushing it though. Let's focus on getting the right coach first.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Ok.

Seriously...too much coach not enough front office going on.

Your development, recruitment and pathways are not a coaches job, coaches change..these system need to be in place.

Input there for sure, but not control.

I do not want my coach, doing the numbers, worrying about how a player gets paid.

Simply say yep, take him if can get him, pay well, pay fair, low ball. Then leave to others.

IMO a squad needs to built by the club administration, development officers, the coaches then has free rein to play whom they see fit.

My club needs to learn this too.

Skinner

Coach
Ok.

Your development, recruitment and pathways are not a coaches job, coaches change..these system need to be in place.

I do not want my coach, doing the numbers, worrying about how a player gets paid.

Simply say yep, take him if can get him, pay well, pay fair, low ball. Then leave to others.

IMO a squad needs to built by the club administration, development officers, the coaches then has free rein to play whom they see fit.

Agree 100 %. Mr A is one of the more astute posters on this site.

a fair bet McGuigan will be gone in three years if he is true to his word.. We aren't Manly. All it took was Bozo to get control of football ops and he has hoovered the place. We don't have anyone with his influence or arrogance to put that sort of plan into place. Fulton is ruthless. Just sacked a coach he regards as the greatest player Manly have ever produced.

The blue collar underdog nonsense has to go. It is not going to work. i think McGuigan knows the balance has to be struck. Even Bellamy or Robinson could not get us a title in three years.

Last edited:

Matt23

Staff member
I'm just hoping the new coach, whoever they may be, insist on the removal of the cancer known as Michael Hagan.

Last edited:

Noname36

First Grade
Ok.

Unfortunately the likes of Midley, Hagan and co are used to the head coach doing all of that because that's what happened when Bennett was in charge. He was pretty much given control over the whole club and made all the decisions that a head coach usually doesn't.

I agree the board really need to step up here and make a plan about what direction they want to take the club and stick to it because we can't keep having an entire rebuild every time we switch coaches.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Geez just saw Hagan trying to crawl into Danny's ear.

Did however seem Danny was being polite and thinking something else.