What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaching Candidates 2016

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
On the list for the bean counters...goal kicker..sadly each team needs one.

Randall channels Bedsy!

Joker's Wild

Coach
It was like watching the Emperor from Star Wars whispering into Luke's ear.

emperor-luke-lightning-o.gif

SIR LANCELOT

Juniors
Yesterday I thought I saw Nathan Brown in the Newcastle coaches box sitting next to Danny Buderus.He was also wearing a Newcastle Nights jumper. He seems to be sharing himself around or is he nestling in on a coaching position at the Nights.

Lancelot:shock::shock::shock:

knightsarmy

Juniors
Yesterday I thought I saw Nathan Brown in the Newcastle coaches box sitting next to Danny Buderus.He was also wearing a Newcastle Nights jumper. He seems to be sharing himself around or is he nestling in on a coaching position at the Nights.

I thought that too !!

PhilGould

Bench

Are you sure it wasn't Craig Sandercock?

Last Friday, Matty Johns jokingly asked his brother on air whether he'd take on the Newcastle Coaching gig. Andrews said emphatically no. Said he lives in Sydney these days and would not want to make the 2 hour drive every day to Newy.

That aside, Newcastle seem to need a bit of a broom through their structures. First grade coaches need help as they can't do it all themselves - the job is just too big. I mean that is what got the Roosters into problems during the latter years of Ricky Stuart as coach, he wanted final say in all matters of recruitment, retention and development. He spread himself so thin the first grade side suffered and it is, in my opinion, what got him punted.

I know the Knights finances aren't those of the Roosters, but they need a good Recruitment/Retention Manager to look after things and seek input from the First Grade Coach. I mean Coaches like Wayne Bennett get what they want in terms of control because of their track record. Problem is there is only 1 Wayne Bennett. As such Newcastle need to look at a structure which will support whomever they appoint, be it an experienced coach or a relative rookie.

aqua_duck

Coach
Last Friday, Matty Johns jokingly asked his brother on air whether he'd take on the Newcastle Coaching gig. Andrews said emphatically no. Said he lives in Sydney these days and would not want to make the 2 hour drive every day to Newy.

That aside, Newcastle seem to need a bit of a broom through their structures. First grade coaches need help as they can't do it all themselves - the job is just too big. I mean that is what got the Roosters into problems during the latter years of Ricky Stuart as coach, he wanted final say in all matters of recruitment, retention and development. He spread himself so thin the first grade side suffered and it is, in my opinion, what got him punted.

I know the Knights finances aren't those of the Roosters, but they need a good Recruitment/Retention Manager to look after things and seek input from the First Grade Coach. I mean Coaches like Wayne Bennett get what they want in terms of control because of their track record. Problem is there is only 1 Wayne Bennett. As such Newcastle need to look at a structure which will support whomever they appoint, be it an experienced coach or a relative rookie.

Don't worry, Hages has got this :sarcasm:

slotmachine

First Grade
Nathan Brown has all but been offered the Newcastle job - and the only reason he won’t be coaching the Knights in 2016 is because he decides to turn them down.
Despite a late push from Phil Gould to get Panthers lower grade coach Garth Brennan the gig, I’m being told Knights directors have settled on Brown to replace the sacked Rick Stone.
But Brown has to weigh up his options carefully - he failed at the Dragons a few years back and another bad experience at the struggling Knights could be the end of his coaching career.
There is no quick fix at the Knights - they will take at least a couple of years to develop into a finals force - no matter who is at the helm.
That means Brown will struggle from day one - and face plenty of stress trying to whip an inconsistent Newcastle team into a finals force.
With little money to spend and a roster well below that of the top teams in terms of depth and strength, the Knights could be a poison chalice for their next coach.
Brown may opt for the security of staying an assistant coach at the Storm - although my mail is he will find the temptation of another crack at the NRL too much to resist.

Analysis spot on.

Burwood

Bench
I don't completely agree with the 2-3 years to turn us into a finals contender. I know that there are major differences between the two clubs and their cultures, but Bennett was able to go to the Broncos and move along several players in order to free up cap space and recruit players he deemed necessary. Even he was surprised by how quickly he was able to put together the squad that he wanted in one offseason. It's 2015 and everyone knows that a contract doesn't 100% lock you into a club/player for its duration.

Whoever our new coach is, he needs to be given complete control of the playing roster from the moment he signs and encouraged to cut players who aren't performing, are grossly overpaid or are poisonous to the playing group and the culture that the coach wants to instill. No waiting around for contracts to expire or players to walk out on the club- get rid of them straight away and bring about the changes needed.

Still Nutty

Juniors
I don't completely agree with the 2-3 years to turn us into a finals contender. I know that there are major differences between the two clubs and their cultures, but Bennett was able to go to the Broncos and move along several players in order to free up cap space and recruit players he deemed necessary. Even he was surprised by how quickly he was able to put together the squad that he wanted in one offseason. It's 2015 and everyone knows that a contract doesn't 100% lock you into a club/player for its duration.

Whoever our new coach is, he needs to be given complete control of the playing roster from the moment he signs and encouraged to cut players who aren't performing, are grossly overpaid or are poisonous to the playing group and the culture that the coach wants to instill. No waiting around for contracts to expire or players to walk out on the club- get rid of them straight away and bring about the changes needed.

I think the problem for Newcastle is:

· the finances are not the same (3rd party deals, club financial viability, cap limitations, etc. - we are chalk and cheese in comparison)
· Moving underperformers on large money before contract expiration comes at a cost - i.e. moving somebody on doesn't necessarily free up cap $$$ so dealing with underperformance and/or overpayment is not clear cut or easy (ask Parramatta and Chris Sandow)

I generally agree with Mr Angry below re a Coaches role...

development, recruitment and pathways are not a coaches job...input there for sure, but not control. Coaches shouldn't be doing the numbers, worrying about how a player gets paid... Simply say yep, take him if we can get him, pay well, pay fair, low ball and then leave to others.

The complete control thing was tried with Bennett and it didn't deliver (for a number of reasons)...it is about structures and staff around the coach that need to be established to support and let him get on with the job of coaching for mine and that will be the bigger challenge for Newcastle.

Burwood

Bench
I think I was quite clear in my post that I meant complete control in regards to the playing roster, not that the coach needs to worry about sitting in on negotiations with players and managers in regards to contracts. There is no question that they should have 100% control over who is in the squad. If there is a current player that does not feature in their plans for 2016 and beyond, the coach should have the power to get rid of them ASAP- not have the board pressure them into letting the player sit around for 12-24 months until their contract expires.

Getting rid of players like Aku and Roberts now may come at a cost, but there is no argument that it would free up a big chunk of space in 2016. I'd much rather pay Aku $250,000 to pay for another club than pay him $500,000 to pay for ours. Same goes for Roberts- no reason why he can't get $200,000 in the ESL and free up $180,000 of our cap next year.

I get the feeling that we're actually agreeing with each other- all I want is for the new coach to have the power to come into the club and put the broom through the place straight away- not get told by the board to work with the current squad because they are afraid of putting a couple of noses out of joint.

Browny needs to be given three years if he agrees to coach us and he has to be backed 100% to see that out and sack and hire who he wants. He deserves that.

macavity

Referee
The top teams can move on whoever they want because the guy they get to replace the unwanted player is paid bugger all under the cap.

We don't have those luxuries.

On the face of it I will be disappointed if Brown gets it. I simply do not understand what makes him an attractive candidate.

Brennan is impressive, but I honestly want us to give the Walker Bros a shot because we are never going to win just doing what the other teams do - we need outside the box thinking and they are the first since Bellamy (cheat) to do it in a big way. It may be a disaster, but it will be a flaming one instead of the drudgery we have copped since Smith left. And it might just be a huge success. It won't be boring that's for sure, and not-boring is what we need right now.

macavity

Referee
And also , offer them each half of what we were paying stone - two for one is a bargain....

Bennett said Brown left the Dragons side in great shape. He added the polish. I do not get the resistance to Brown. Huddersfield we're a pile of steaming shit until he took the reigns. He did what Daniel Anderson and a Mick Potter could not. Won St Helens a title and he did it by sacking overpaid players.

Joker's Wild

Coach
The top teams can move on whoever they want because the guy they get to replace the unwanted player is paid bugger all under the cap.

We don't have those luxuries.

On the face of it I will be disappointed if Brown gets it. I simply do not understand what makes him an attractive candidate.

Brennan is impressive, but I honestly want us to give the Walker Bros a shot because we are never going to win just doing what the other teams do - we need outside the box thinking and they are the first since Bellamy (cheat) to do it in a big way. It may be a disaster, but it will be a flaming one instead of the drudgery we have copped since Smith left. And it might just be a huge success. It won't be boring that's for sure, and not-boring is what we need right now.

Sorry mate but i disagree

Defence is a huge part of the NRL and is arguably the most important aspect of a premiership contender. I watch the Qcup closely and what you dont see on the Jets highlight reel is the turnovers and outright f**kups they come up with in the oppositions half. They are very fit and are able to cover so many mistakes but its is only the Qcup in the end. I just dont see it working in the NRL, especially with our roster

We dont need more excitement, just the opposite imo. We need to play basic footy, percentage footy before we can move on to razzle dazzle. We have to earn our right to be exciting, not just try it for something different.

Latest posts