What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaching preference for 2024

What are you hoping for in our next coaching appointment?

• Rookie Coach

Votes: 21 14.5%
  • Premiership Winning Coach

Votes: 105 72.4%
  • NRL Experience coach with no Premiership wins

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Coach from Overseas

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Extend Current coach

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters

justadragon

Bench
Spider said last year at the RedV meeting that WIN had been bailing out the Dragons in the past and helped them turn things around financially .
If that is the case why are we always struggling to buy players and decent staff. I was also under the impression that Webb said that wrt bailing out the ST George side of things. I might be wrong though Denis.

All good brother.

If your ambition is to contribute, no apologies necessary.

It’s a critical time for sgi.

More important than Origin.

I'll admit I'm a Roosters fan (yeah I know, "boo, hiss") but I respect the dragons. Always have. If I come across something I might think would be of interest about other teams, I try and post it in the relevant team forum. I don't post in any to shit stir.

Mojo

Bench
I'll admit I'm a Roosters fan (yeah I know, "boo, hiss") but I respect the dragons. Always have. If I come across something I might think would be of interest about other teams, I try and post it in the relevant team forum. I don't post in any to shit stir.
You're welcome to transfer allegiances any time. Only way is up for us.
Silverdale's just happy to be off the bottom at last.

Yeah, you’re a decent poster.

The SGI coaching conundrum has been enigmatic all right.

So many twists and turns, contradictions, stress and anxiety…even for us guests lol!

Dragon David

First Grade
I would like that to Baggy, but we are closing the window on the player market for 2024, so a decision needs to be made soon, Carr not only needs to nail the coaching but also have the ability to attract players. If we had Richo and Brownie here that would have helped immensely without the total onus being on Carr.
I'm sure that Carr knows the players he needs to augment the roster. He has overseen the squads in firsts and reserves and hopefully the lower grades as well in the time he has been with us since last November when he and Woolf joined us as Hook's assistants. We shouldn't lose the sight of what Ben Woolf has been contributing now as Carr's assistant. They both look like they have great abilities and the desire and commitment to do good jobs without the interference of the stubborn one who is probably now in his rocking chair and a blanket over his legs and drinking his can of diet coke. (Sorry Hook).

He is a rookie interim head coach for us at the moment but was a full-time head coach for English club, the Featherstone Rovers so he understands what a head coach's role would be and that hopefully he has learned the motivational and management side of things to help the players along.

I don't know how much time we have to secure the long term head coach. The longer it takes, the harder it will be to get players to come to the club to improve the roster. The club also needs guys of the calibre of Richardson and Brown to supplement the staff to make the Football Department to be in better shape for the future. These type of guys are essential for any rookie coach whether it is Carr or Ryles or Hornby etc.

If the Board is still not in a position to select anyone, seeing that it is very critical that the right one needs to be signed, then I hope that whoever they eventually get is the best one.

denis preston

First Grade
If that is the case why are we always struggling to buy players and decent staff. I was also under the impression that Webb said that wrt bailing out the ST George side of things. I might be wrong though Denis.
Buying players is salary capped and not WIN,s issue. Improving staff is.Until 6 months ago sat on their hands and accepted staffing as it was but since Lancaster became chief it appears more money has been allocated to change things. That’s why the Haran extension rumor doesn’t make sense.

Maddragon99

Juniors
I agree that Ryles should get some autonomy over whom he picks as his assistants; however, even as the basket case of a club we are, we also can't just give the keys over to the head coach. Honestly, I think the head coach isn't the priority. While no coach certainly impacts our ability to attract and retain players, the bigger picture needs to be looked at.
Re signing players, there’s rarely any action during the origin period so we have some time.

Hope Carr stays as an assistant to Ryles next year, I like what we have seen.

IMG_6879.jpeg
Video capture from nrl.

Carr instilled some fight for sure.

There were a lot of aspects to that last play, but the more I look at it, the more comfortable I feel about the vision, reflex and execution from a number of players.

You did everything at lightning pace early, no one had more than a breath to deal with the defence, the footy instinct kicked in.

The start of the movement was chaotic, it should have been snuffed out, but you kept it alive.[/QUOTE]

Maddragon99

Juniors
They don’t want Ryles next year whether he lands the job or not because:

A: rooosters aren’t going that well ( changes needed)
B: His interests do not align with the roosters.

Silly to announce it now, sour grapes, because it strengthens SGIs hand in contract negotiations with Ryles.

You are his best chance.

Trigger happy roosters, reeling over a season of drama.

Latest posts