What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaching preference for 2024

What are you hoping for in our next coaching appointment?

• Rookie Coach

Votes: 21 14.5%
  • Premiership Winning Coach

Votes: 105 72.4%
  • NRL Experience coach with no Premiership wins

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Coach from Overseas

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Extend Current coach

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters

since77

Juniors

Gareth67

First Grade
We were 80mm a from landing a coach the storm want. Bring back Mary 😂
I have said the same on numerous occasions my friend - but nobody ever listens to me !

Uncle Fester at least took the Dragons to the 2018 semis , plus only 80 minutes away from the big one .

Get the bloke back here and sack the board then at least there will be hope for the future . 🤔

justadragon

Bench
My preference would now be Hasler on a 3 year deal with Carr to take over,,,,,for all the shambolic decisions in the last 12 years and more we may as well have Ronald McDonald and Crusty the Clown !!!! Oh yes we can have Homer Simpson as the GM,,,,,no wait I think we already have Homer there as the GM so lets just try really hard to work on the other two !!!

Yep the Blues did a Dragons, snatched defeat out of the jaws of victory against a 12 man QLD side,,,,

Wt the same.

Freddy made a meal of a lot it with selections and rotations, but he wasn’t helped by some tepid performances and injuries.

I think Des should be back in the frame now because as a “real coach” and best on market, his appointment would instantly dismiss a lot of the criticism, a lot of it unfair.

He’s not going to coach a club he doesn’t have some faith in and he would be a big scalp with a number of other clubs interested.

I heard he likes overs and control but I said before, any team he coaches is usually a threat.

Based on the points it took to get into the finals last season and his % win rate, he’d have you at 9th. But you’ve been close this year, so he could push you over the line. Just hypothetical, imperfect sure, but you need the lift.

Plus Seibs isn’t regarded as too popular, so I’d expect some sea eagles to arrive. That said, the attack on Seibs family was weak and uncalled for. Seibs is big on game fitness. His players train hard in match like conditions. Creates muscle memory and helps them with fatigue.

Carrying buckets up hills is fine, but it’s not quite footy.

It’s takes a little while to train up to it.

Imagine if you are training hard at 100 minutes of close to game conditions, then 80 minutes becomes easier and you build on that. That’s the idea anyway.

The walking dead of panthers 2021 gf side, owed a lot to prep and conditioning.

Last edited:
Just thinking Flanno or Hasler preferred in the mess we are in , and will both attract players in a major recruitment drive .........
Spot on, but our useless BOD has snubbed both of them because they feel threatened by the power they may weild. Dead set Andrew Lancaster sack the lot other than Ben Creagh and bring in blokes that have a footy background and mindset.

Last edited:
I heard he likes overs and control but I said before, any team he coaches is usually a threat.
Ryles was dumped, yes he did not dump us, as he wanted too much control according to News Corp and we all know this BOD wont countenance that. So imagine the control Hasler would demand and how threatened the Board would feel when he has the balls to tell the club owner to 'butt out of footy business'.

Therein lies the reason Ryles was dumped, yes he did not dump us, he wanted too much control according to News Corp and we all know this BOD wont countenance that. So imagine the control Hasler would demand when he has the balls to tell the club owner to 'butt out of footy business'.

I kind of liken it to either giving the keys to the Porsche to an L plater who is good at Grand Theft Auto (Ryles) or a Bathurst winner, the miraculous Dick Johnson (Des).

Rylesy seems to be a very entitled ponce to me. A lot of young people want to start at the top.

5 years he wanted, did he want a life membership and board position too?

This is maybe the first time I am in lockstep with your board. They got this right. Due is due.

If we can’t bring ourselves to acknowledge good decisions, then we are beholden to irrationalism.

That’s my view.

Ryles has turned his back on you to pursue what he thinks is in his own best interests.

He’s done his dash, I hope he fails miserably.

He’s an arrogant ponce. He’s not Fangio as the media make him out to be. He hijacks Toragos and clubs civilians over the head in Grand Theft Auto and thinks he’s cool.

He hears a cop car, he parks his car and hides in a nearby shrubbery ( pushing JDB over to make room!)

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
I kind of liken it to either giving the keys to the Porsche to an L player who is good at Grand Theft Auto (Ryles) or a Bathurst winner, the miraculous Dick Johnson (Des).

Rylesy seems to be a very entitled ponce to me. A lot of young people want to start at the top.

5 years he wanted, did he want a life membership and board position too?

This is maybe the first time I am in lockstep with your board. They got this right. Due is due.

If we can’t bring ourselves to acknowledge good decisions, then we are beholden to irrationalism.

That’s my view.

Ryles has turned his back on you to pursue what he thinks is in his own best interests.

He’s done his dash, I hope he fails miserably.
The questions I ask are:

* Why get in the bad books with the Roosters by mucking the Roosters around and they sack him as an assistant coach with immediate effect?
* Why dump us when he would have become a head coach, on plenty of cash and a good period to be running a football team of a club that he formerly played for? (yes I know, he wanted more things that the Board had not even looked into).
* Why agree to the offer of being a pathways/development assistant at the Storm on likely less money than at the Roosters and of course not getting the big bickies as a head coach at the Dragons but having no guarantee of getting the head coach position when Bellamy calls it quits?

I don't think that his manager has done his due diligence in the overall way things got arsed about. Is the truth hidden in that Ryles just wasn't comfortable to being the head coach in his own mind and took the easy way out when that offer from the Storm came or was this a manager planned arrangement to get Ryles to the Storm one way or the other on what might be a better deal?

In any event, his decision has been made and having it end in this way, I think that it is a blessing in disguise for the Dragons and also for Ryles because things just would not have worked out - he left his heart in Melbourne City and now returning where he will feel more comfortable.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
When you think about it Ryles has longer term security at the Storm which is 1 maybe 2 years as assistant and possibly a 5 year deal as a HC. That is 7 year security as a coach, compared to 4 years which could destroy your career if it goes pear shaped with this club and how it is run in the front office.

Nobody simply trusts the clubs front office and how they do their job.

Funny thing is if Ryles played his card right he would easily stayed at the club longer then 4 years if he performs well which he needed to back himself he would have done so. Saints have a good junior base and it is all about getting the best out of them which the previous coaches could not do. Browny would have sorted that out. Look at the other 2 previous coaches. They both got extended and did not really perform well so the expectations are not high anyway.

Why get in the bad books with the Roosters by mucking the Roosters around and they sack him as an assistant coach with immediate effect?
* Why dump us when he would have become a head coach, on plenty of cash and a good period to be running a football team of a club that he formerly played for? (yes I know, he wanted more things that the Board had not even looked into).
Did I already post this. According to reports Rooster boss Politis and the Storm boss may have hatched a plan to stymie us having Ryles because we moved as slow as mollasses getting his signiture. Storm had earlier backed off while he was still contracted to the Chooks, but once he was sacked Storm pounced.

Last edited: