What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaching preference for 2024

What are you hoping for in our next coaching appointment?

• Rookie Coach

Votes: 21 14.5%
  • Premiership Winning Coach

Votes: 105 72.4%
  • NRL Experience coach with no Premiership wins

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Coach from Overseas

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Extend Current coach

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters

dannyt

Coach
As I see it, the longer this selection process takes, then the more chance Young & Hornby are right in this.

I wouldn’t underestimate the opinion & influence that Wayne Bennett has over the St.George side of the BOD, especially with Doust & Ben Creagh.

Bennett was instrumental in getting Hornby to South’s as an Assistant under his watch. He also, tried unsuccessfully to get Young to the Dolphins as an Assistant this year.

He obviously still has wraps on the both of them and maybe his recommendation & push may still have some sway in the Dragons corridors of power.
How? Bennett also recommended Price as his successor!!

dannyt

Coach
Bennett opinion now in media pushing both Young & Hornby. Hold on folks!
Why in f#$%'s name should we listen to anything Bennett, and especially Gus, have to say about running our club? They have their own club's main interests as their primary objective, and so any advice has to be questionable because it must be seen for what is is-what is ultimately best for their respective club.

Dragon David

First Grade
Bennett opinion now in media pushing both Young & Hornby. Hold on folks!
Hmmmmm! Big decisions to be made and quickly. That's the problem when there are so many people wanting their say - Journos, Gould, Seibold, Bennett, Keogh, fans etc - it makes things hard.

Our initial desire is to have a coach that can get us up there within a shorter period and yet, because the job is harder than just getting an experienced coach to just run with what we have, it is the longer term strategy and planning that really needs to be put into place. We have seen some coaches take over a club that have been rock bottom and get them when he takes over to come 9th say which is an improvement of course from being rock bottom. The next season they go down hill because there isn't the longer plan worked out properly. Just my take.

Bennett could be right.

Phantom V

Juniors
G
As I see it, the longer this selection process takes, then the more chance Young & Hornby are right in this.

I wouldn’t underestimate the opinion & influence that Wayne Bennett has over the St.George side of the BOD, especially with Doust & Ben Creagh.

Bennett was instrumental in getting Hornby to South’s as an Assistant under his watch. He also, tried unsuccessfully to get Young to the Dolphins as an Assistant this year.

He obviously still has wraps on the both of them and maybe his recommendation & push may still have some sway in the Dragons corridors of power.
Why in f#$%'s name should we listen to anything Bennett, and especially Gus, have to say about running our club? They have their own club's main interests as their primary objective, and so any advice has to be questionable because it must be seen for what is is-what is ultimately best for their respective club.
This!!

Phantom V

Juniors
I
Hmmmmm! Big decisions to be made and quickly. That's the problem when there are so many people wanting their say - Journos, Gould, Seibold, Bennett, Keogh, fans etc - it makes things hard.

Our initial desire is to have a coach that can get us up there within a shorter period and yet, because the job is harder than just getting an experienced coach to just run with what we have, it is the longer term strategy and planning that really needs to be put into place. We have seen some coaches take over a club that have been rock bottom and get them when he takes over to come 9th say which is an improvement of course from being rock bottom. The next season they go down hill because there isn't the longer plan worked out properly. Just my take.

Bennett could be right.
It’s a bit rich for Bennett to say that we need to think long term. In other words considering Bennetts age we can sign Flannigan for the next 30 years!!

JubileeJeffro

Juniors

Bennett could be right.
Bennet was 59 when he came to the Dragons, Flanagan is 57…. We have already had the inexperienced coach model with Price and McGregor..and Hook was just too much of a dinosaur. Need a coach that can at least attract the players needed for the rebuild to get us in contention again in 2025

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
This selection process is so frustrating. A decent Board would have previously determined which of the available people was the coach that best fits what the club needs to succeed and gone out to recruit them. All this interviewing of potential candidates just indicates that the Board don't really know the coach that the club needs. Duds!

possm

Coach
Dean Young played with incredible passion for the club. We must give him that. I realise that does not equate to being a successful and experienced coach but he has more passion for St George than Ryles and FItzgibbon have in their entire bodies combined. For now though, he needs to learn the craft.

Flannagan to me is a desperate man looking for a gig who didn't appear to do much as recruitment head in that short time, and who knows his impact as assistant coach - can't have been that good. Not necessarily indicators of success though as a HC. I think he will be able to attract players and create a buzz that might equate to more positive results. Needs to be given full reign. I can't see him sitting back and accepting sub-par performances. For the benefit of getting on with 2024 we need him signed up now.
Give Young a big clap for the work he did as a player but don't give him the head coach job.

Gardenia

Juniors
It’s a personal thing and not for everyone.

When he’s a bit tipsy and happy, young ex sgi kid at work he’s outstanding company. Plenty of jokes and taking the piss.

We were trying to hook him up with my little sister but he’s spoken for.

Another genetic attribute is his hatred of the shire. Always pleased to hear that they have lost. A satisfying little smile if it’s raised.

These matters and the odd off-colour joke come naturally to the Saints faithful. Certainly not pc. No no no!

And then of course, the reverence for Robert Stone, the contempt for Matt Dufty and a begrudging respect for Hosty even if he moved on.

Do this very day, nobody knows why Host was pursued so hard by the bunnies. Not even Hosty. What we do know is that he is a Saint.

It’s a way of life.

This is a small fraction of the values to pass onto New Coach whoever it may be

Worst possible outcome… another 2 years anchored to the bottom and sacked. He did nothing as interim coach and Cowboys are hardly setting the world alight
@phantom: I wish I could unread that you are trying to hook someone up with your little sister. Ill just leave that there

@JubileeJeffro: It is a major conflict of interest appointing Young. Surely they wont go there.

Latest posts