What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Commission to outlaw 'shoulder charge'

Should the Shoulder Charge be banned?

• Total voters

taxidriver

Coach
I dont buy your argument, the risk with a conventional tackle and a shoulder charge are not proportionate.

Ftr, I don't necessarily want the shoulder charge banned, however I do want players to shut the f**k up and cop a heavy ban when it goes wrong.

Bretto

Bench
I dont buy your argument, the risk with a conventional tackle and a shoulder charge are not proportionate.

Ftr, I don't necessarily want the shoulder charge banned, however I do want players to shut the f**k up and cop a heavy ban when it goes wrong.

I understand what your argument is, but my argument is not about proportionate damage, just simply: "Saving blokes injuries", as the previous article discussed.

I'm just saying that if all we're doing is looking out for our players, then the best way to do that is remove contact all together, and we certainly don't want that, do we. It's like the whole war on speeding. The government constantly tell us that every K over is a killer, and are constantly lowering speed limits to apparently reduce the road toll, when the reality is that if everyone did 0, there'd be no accidents and no fatalities.

We have to draw the line somewhere. I'm with the school of thought that supports the shoulder charge, BUT, get it wrong and you will be suspended for it. We certainly can't have blokes taking shots to the head like that, and especially these days when the players are all 6ft tall and 100kgs. We have to protect the players to a degree, but without upsetting the fabric of our game.

taxidriver

Coach
I'm not sure why you are linking banning the shoulder charge with all contact. It used to be ok to spear a bloke into the ground head first. The games better for banning that.

The quote you refer to in the article was specific to the shoulder charge

Dresden Dan

Juniors
Sad story but fail to see how banning shoulder charge will stop players failing to organise a back up plan if their career suddenly ends. Plenty of players been cut by CEOs & no shoulder charge was used.

I'm not sure why you are linking banning the shoulder charge with all contact. It used to be ok to spear a bloke into the ground head first. The games better for banning that.

The quote you refer to in the article was specific to the shoulder charge

Spear tackle = Shoulder charge to the head
Lifting tackle = Shoulder charge below neck

Banning the shoulder charge because of high shoulder charges would be like banning lifting in tackles, no ifs or buts, because of spear tackles. When we wanted to eradicate spear tackles we punished spear tackles, not lifting tackles.

Why punish shoulder charges for illegal shoulder charges

Griffith University's Professor Peter Milburn, who has written several papers on injury-prevention in sport

"The key thing is the point of contact,'' says Milburn, the head of Griffith University's school of rehabilitation sciences.
"If you go in with a shoulder and you hit someone's chest, that's fine, because they are larger masses and they absorb the force.
"If you have a shoulder hitting the head, that's when the impact is so much greater on the recipient of the tackle.
"It's a crucial part of rugby league. People go to see the big hits.
"A tonne of force at impact is roughly the same as a golf club hitting a golf ball and in rugby league, you can get forces of up to a tonne in an impact situation.
"If shoulder charges are done safely it's part of the game.
"We don't want to sanitise the game to the extent where it gets like the other football codes.''

-------

So, here we have an actual authority on sports injuries - not a reactive eejit doctor - saying what we all have known all along, the shoulder charge is perfectly acceptable, it's the illegal high shots that are the danger.

When one forward runs full speed into a wall of up to four men, whose collective body weight is about 400kg, and gets tackled simultaneously, the readings are identical to those of a shoulder charge.
"We will regularly see the same sort of impact characteristics in those sort of collisions as you would see in the biggest shoulder charge,'' Gold Coast Titans conditioning coach Chris McLellan said.
"Purely from a collision perspective, we're seeing just as much heavy contact in other collisions.
"It's not like a shoulder charge is twice as bad as any other contact.
"If you hit the body you may get a whiplash effect, but nowhere near the same sort of impact you get with direct collision with the skull.''

Lets ban the kick return then. How many concussions do we see from kick returns? Happens all the time. Get it out of the game, I say. Ban gang tackling, I say.

200px-Trollface.svg.png

Then we hear that every club doctor is against the shoulder charge because of concern with player welfare. Then why the f**k did the St George doc green light the return of Dean Young in such a short turn around?

Concerned for players safety my arse. You couldn't write that shit.

some11

Referee
Artificial controversy, don't pay any attention to the media and nothing has really changed.

The shoulder charge is a must.

If it goes wrong however there must be harsh consequences.

Agree with this.
Another reason not to ban it, we'll see more stoppages with refs sending it upstairs to check if it was a shoulder charge and we'll get a million inconsistencies

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...-shoulder-charge/story-fnca0von-1226449603458

ARL Commission has begun research into the shoulder charge

by: Stuart Honeysett, Brent Read
August 14, 2012 12:00AM

THE shoulder charge will be back on the agenda today when the NRL rules advisory committee _ made up of some of the game's sharpest minds _ debates the merits of the controversial tackling technique.

The ARL Commission has begun research into the shoulder charge amid a growing push from club doctors over the need to outlaw it in the name of player safety.

While that research is still some way from being completed, the rules advisory committee is set to weigh into the debate at a meeting involving Warriors coach Ivan Cleary, former Australia captain Darren Lockyer, former NSW coach Ricky Stuart and his current Queensland counterpart Mal Meninga.

They will also discuss a proposal for the coach's challenge system, which is on course to be trialled in Toyota Cup games later this year.

Director of football operations Nathan McGuirk confirmed the shoulder charge would form part of the meeting as the commission continues its review with a view towards making a decision on whether it has a place in the modern game.

"It's obviously a very important issue we're addressing," McGuirk said.

"While there is some sense of urgency, it's not something we're going to rush through. We will be quite diligent with the process we're going through and come out with the right answers."

The shoulder charge came to the fore earlier this year when Canterbury forward Frank Pritchard was suspended over a hit on Penrith's David Simmons.

Since then there have been a number of other incidents, the highest profile involving Brisbane forward Ben Te'o and South Sydney fullback Greg Inglis.

Club doctors have made their stance well-known on the issue. They formed their own independent body and immediately called for an end to the shoulder charge, fearing the game could leave itself open to legal action.

McGuirk also confirmed the commission had formulated a proposal on the coach's challenge system and it could be rubber-stamped should the rules committee raise no major issues.

The idea will be to trial it later this year in the Toyota Cup and provided it comes through without any major hitches, it could be introduced to the NRL as early as next year.

"We have a proposal on the coach's challenge system that's going to be discussed," McGuirk said. "We're going to get the thoughts of the coaches and members of the committee.

"Once we have the model finalised we will take a look at trialling it in Toyota Cup matches.

"We will look at how it goes in the trials and go from there."

It won't be the only important get-together taking place today as clubs meet en masse to discuss their desire for increased funding from the ARL Commission.

The Australian understands club chief executives and chairmen will be taken through a range of proposals over future funding tied to the next broadcasting deal.

The results of today's meeting will form the basis of what the NRL Council will take to the ARL Commission when it holds its historic first meeting on August 27. The NRL Council, formed to pursue the interests of the clubs, will be made up of one representative from each of the 16 clubs.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.nrl.com/shoulder-charge-under-scrutiny/tabid/10874/newsid/69606/default.aspx

Shoulder charge under scrutiny
NRL.com Thu, Aug 30, 2012 - 2:00 PM

The Australian Rugby League Commission has today advised clubs that there will be increased penalties for any ‘dangerous contact’ to the head or neck from shoulder charges in the remaining weeks of the season.

At its meeting in Sydney this week the Commission determined that, pending a complete review of the ‘shoulder-charge’ rule, it was appropriate to send a strong message regarding the protection of players.

The Commission has already initiated the ‘shoulder charge’ review which involves detailed analysis of injury data, consultation with the RLPA, doctors, coaches and international Rugby League bodies and which will be tabled to the Commission later this year.

As an interim measure, the Commission has sent a clear signal about ‘dangerous contact’, informing clubs that a directive will be issued to both the Match Review Committee and the NRL Judiciary panel to set aside precedents and to send a clear deterrent in regard to ‘dangerous contact’ involving shoulder charges.

Any ‘shoulder charge’ which results in dangerous contact will be referred directly to the Judiciary Panel without grading.

“While the Commission does not involve itself in day to day operational issues we believe it is important to send a message across the whole of the game in relation to the importance we place on player safety,” ARL Commission Chairman, Mr John Grant, said.

“The game’s Executive has initiated a thorough process that involves multiple stakeholders in reviewing the shoulder charge and we recognise that this is a necessary part of any decision making process.

“What we are making clear in the interim is that the current rules are to be adhered to in a manner that discourages any player from taking unacceptable risks with the welfare of an opponent.

“Rugby League is incredibly skilful and incredibly tough and the rules are there to protect the players within that environment.”

Cryptic

Juniors
Well looks like they are trying their hardest to turn this into the weakest sport in the world... A TV deal a dead fish could have drafted up and a judicary which will now ban people for hitting with their shoulder, but will let people who smash someone in the face with a forearm off with-out so much as a warning...

"Important to send a message"...

Which is it's bad to accidently hit someone with your shoulder but perfectly fine to jump around like a genius and break someones nose...

http://www.nrl.com/shoulder-charge-under-scrutiny/tabid/10874/newsid/69606/default.aspx

Joker's Wild

Coach
Well to be fair mate they said "there will be increased penalties for any ‘dangerous contact’ to the head or neck from shoulder charges in the remaining weeks of the season."

Seems like they want to stamp out shoulder charges that make contact with the head or neck, not regular shoulder charges. Fair enough imo

Cryptic

Juniors
Again, just last weekend they said it was OK to forearm someone in the face... Forgive me for being confused about the message they are trying to send here...

Last edited:

BunniesMan

Immortal
Whether or not you agree with the rule change, it's amateurish to do this in late August. Could it not have waited for the offseason. You don't change the rules after round 25.

The ARLC needs to think things through a bit before pulling the trigger in future.

Cryptic

Juniors
I don't give a f**k who's "fault" it is... Change it... apparantly changing rules whenever you feel like it is with-in their power yet they allow shit like that to happen?

It's a sport rule book not a countries legal system.... They could stand in and do something instead of sitting on the side line unless it's the media's current golden child...