What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Commission to outlaw 'shoulder charge'

Should the Shoulder Charge be banned?

• Total voters

gUt

Coach
I agree with ^

A shoulder charge that hits high or is otherwise deemed to be dangerous by those fine minds at the MRC should attract a harsher penalty than an equivalent 'proper' tackle. But to remove it from the game altogether is a step too far.

rabbitohs

Juniors
If the NRL is serious about protecting the players then I believe they should take every precaution they can.

It's going to be a shame to see what can one of the most spetacular parts of our game go but the way the game is going I believe it's just going to be apart of the sacrifice.

What say you LU? Think of the children or harden the f**k up?

If the NRL are serious about protecting their employees then they should stop them playing such a rough game. Give them a job in payroll or doing some admin. Hitting each other to get a funny shaped ball is far too ridiculous and dangerous. How is got through OHSW I don't know.

Would be interesting to know how many of the 22 who voted to get rid have actually played.

Pugzley

Dragons fans are dumb. Inglis was doing his job as a fullback. Elbow hits the the ball/chest, team mate already has legs wrapped. Physics moves the head towards Inglis bicep since he's gone from running to a complete stop. One foot off the ground, both feet leave after the tackle.

If the NRL takes steps to ban the shoulder charge and becomes topball, I know who to blame.

bottle

Coach
Dragons fans are dumb. Inglis was doing his job as a fullback. Elbow hits the the ball/chest, team mate already has legs wrapped. Physics moves the head towards Inglis bicep since he's gone from running to a complete stop. One foot off the ground, both feet leave after the tackle.

If the NRL takes steps to ban the shoulder charge and becomes topball, I know who to blame.

Me too, the blokes who hit blokes in the head.

theo

Juniors
The answer for me is written in ,

The Australian Rugby League Laws Of The Game
And Notes On The Laws

Section 11

The Tackle And Play-The-Ball

Notes

Shoulder Charge 3. In matches involving players 18 years and under, a defender who runs at a ball carrier and without attempting to tackle, grab or hold the ball-carrier, charges to make contact with the shoulder or with the upper arm (tucked into the side) is guilty of an infringement.

This law should apply to 18+ matches as well.

Pugzley

And Notes On The Laws

Section 11

Notes

Shoulder Charge 3. In matches involving players 18 years and under, a defender who runs at a ball carrier and without attempting to tackle, grab or hold the ball-carrier, charges to make contact with the shoulder or with the upper arm (tucked into the side) is guilty of an infringement.

f**k off to union and take St Merge with you.

thorson1987

Coach

And Notes On The Laws

Section 11

Notes

Shoulder charges are already banned up to U/16's

chrisD

Coach
I was wrong, you're even dumber than Gordie :lol:

And who justified Prior's hit, d*ckhead?

Derp.

You're always wrong.

It was your professional sook of a coach who tried to muddy the waters and pull a great hit into the same realm as a deliberate elbow to the face.

You were doing okay until this post. Back to your hole dribbler.

It's hilarious reading and watching comments from ex-players and current players regarding the shoulder charge. They all claim that the move must remain in the game, that it's an exciting and integral part of the game. Yet when a player destroys another with a shoulder to the head they all cry foul. You can't have it both ways. I see no reason to ban the shoulder charge but if you connect with another players head you deserve to miss numerous games - accident or not.

Unfortunately when it comes to player safety the game is let down by ex-players and current players who can't fathom actual medical and scientific evidence. Players need to be protected from themselves sometimes. The blame here lies squarely with the NRL. They should be far more proactive and ignore the cries from players past and present. We're leagues behind other world class sporting organisations in this key area.

lol

If the shoulder charge is too barbaric for you, that's cool, there's plenty of other sports that cater to your tastes.

But that's not what it's about. What it all boils down to is this fringe element in society made up of merkins who think they know what's best for others and wish to make decisions on their behalf despite not having been asked, elected and in fact being completely unwanted.

You're all as dumb as batshit and could f**k off and no-one would be the worse off.

taxidriver

Coach
MELBOURNE Storm's Michael Greenfield retires from the NRL with a premiership ring and a busted neck. And not much else.
Since his first-grade debut as a schoolboy teen, Greenfield's life has been about rugby league. There was no fall-back option. So after it was taken from him last week - the result of a career-ending neck injury - he now faces the prospect of earning a livelihood without a trade or any qualifications.
''I'm 26 and not really qualified to do anything,'' Greenfield said. ''It's going to be hard to find someone to want to hire me.
''All I've got is footy and that's it. It's a tough one.''
Advertisement
The average lifespan of an NRL player is 43 games. Greenfield fell five short of the average during stints with the Sharks, Rabbitohs, Dragons and Storm. He is contracted to Melbourne until the end of the season, but has no idea where the next pay cheque will come from.
''It's been the only focus for me throughout my life,'' he admitted. ''Now I'm not sure, it's a bit scary to think about what I'm going to do now. At 26 … I was hoping I wouldn't have to worry about that until I'm in my 30s. I don't have a trade or anything. It's something I really have to think about in the next couple of months because after October I've got to think about what I'm going to do for the rest of my life.''
As debate rages over whether the shoulder charge should be banned, Greenfield is an example of the human cost when the controversial tackling technique goes wrong.
His career effectively ended on May 25 in his one and only appearance for the Storm.
He was knocked senseless after being on the wrong end of a shoulder from Brisbane's Ben Te'o. Greenfield, who has a history of neck injuries, was told he would never play again after neck surgery last week on a bulging disc.
''From a medical and player welfare side, [the shoulder charge] should definitely be outlawed,'' Greenfield said.
''As a fan of rugby league, I wouldn't want to see it outlawed but as a player who has gone through this now, you wouldn't want to see your teammates go through the same thing. [A ban] would probably save a lot of blokes a lot of injuries.''
The shoulder charge debate is the biggest talking point in rugby league following the hit South Sydney fullback Greg Inglis made on St George Illawarra forward Dean Young. Inglis will miss three matches.
The NRL has procedures in place with its national youth competition to ensure participants can't play unless they are working or studying. Greenfield slipped through the cracks - there were no such programs in place when he burst onto the scene for Cronulla in 2004.
Greenfield hasn't walked away totally empty handed. Although he didn't play in the 2010 grand final, he ended up with a premiership ring as part of the Dragons squad.
He also bought an investment unit with the money he made from the game.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-leag...reer-at-end-20120728-233ex.html#ixzz21xiii5g4

Bretto

Bench
That's really terrible for the bloke. I feel for him. BUT, if we remove the shoulder charge because of the potential for injury, do we also remove tackling because of the potential for injury? Players tear knees, sprain ankles etc all the time. Should we make it tag due to this?