What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Commission to outlaw 'shoulder charge'

Should the Shoulder Charge be banned?

• Total voters

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
By the time you have made 1st grade, you already know the dangers and if you don't, well you are obviously :crazy:

Leave the game alone, there have been too many rule changes already, they'll end up f**king the game completely if they don't stop tinkering with it.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...r-charge-tuesday/story-e6frep5x-1226518787484

ARL Commission to decide future of shoulder charge Tuesday

James Phelps
The Sunday Telegraph
November 17, 2012 11:00PM

THE shoulder charge could be rubbed out of rugby league as soon as Tuesday with the ARL Commission set to be delivered an extensive report on the controversial tackling method at a scheduled meeting this week.

Compiled by a Sydney University PhD student and headed by new Roosters CEO Brian Canavan, the report has studied the shoulder charge for the first time with every instance of controversial tackling method from 2012 extensively examined.

The report, commissioned by the NRL following a season that saw the shoulder charge placed in the spotlight, examines the force of each hit, the rate of injury to both the attacker and defender, and potential outcomes of the tackling technique.

The report is expected to be enough to see the NRL outlaw the technique. The meeting will also see commission members discuss future Origin scheduling and venues.

adamkungl

Immortal
We can only hope they players and coaches make enough of a stand. They're the ones playing the game after all.

Removes a bit of thuggery from the game, and an unnecessary risk of certain head injuries. I prefer running, intense and skillful rugby league, shoulder charges and big collisions add nothing to the spectacle for me, so can only win.
My preference would be to also change the 10 metre rule to 5 metres, but that's another issue.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.nrl.com/commission-to-outlaw-shoulder-charge/tabid/10874/newsid/70416/default.aspx

Commission to outlaw 'shoulder charge'

NRL.com Tue, Nov 20, 2012 - 6:01 PM

The Australian Rugby League Commission has today accepted a recommendation to outlaw the ‘shoulder charge’ from all competitions from 2013.

The Commission has reviewed a detailed report into the shoulder charge and accepted a management recommendation that the increased size of athletes was creating a situation where the shoulder charge could, if maintained, lead to an unacceptable injury risk.

Work has already commenced with the England’s RFL and other member nations of the Rugby League International Federation with a view to extending the move at all levels of the game on an international basis (New Zealand already has a domestic ban) in place.

A number of concerning incidents in 2012 led to the shoulder charge review headed by Brian Canavan and led to the Commission also issuing a statement on August 30 that any illegal contact emanating from ‘shoulder charges’ would attract increased sanction.

The review demonstrated that:
- shoulder charges made up 0.05% of the 142,355 tackles made in 2012

- less than 4% of these resulted in injury to the attacking player and less than 1% to the defensive player

- 17% resulted in contact with the head of the attacking player

- players in the Telstra Premiership have grown over the decade from 2002 to 2012 to be on average 4kg heavier, 1.2cm taller and by measure of a superior Body Mass Index, stronger and more powerful

- that the average G-force of the shoulder charge (measured from accelerometer data taken from GPS tracking) was 76% greater than a conventional head-on tackle (10.682 compared to 6.056).

“This is about reducing a potential risk of serious injury to our players,” NRL Interim Chief Executive, Mr Shane Mattiske, said today.

“The Commission has gone through a thorough review process and been public in warning players about the risks of illegal play.

“The report shows that the shoulder charge is not a significant part of the game and its removal is not likely to impact on the way the game is played.

“With the increase in size and strength of the players, we believe this is the time to eliminate a potential risk.”

NRL General Manager of Football Operations, Mr Nathan McGuirk, will consult with the game’s Competition Committee (comprised of former and current coaches and players) to finalise proposed rule amendments in relation to the shoulder charge.

The proposed rule amendments will be put before the Commission at the December meeting.

“We want to be sure that we have looked at all the implications of any drafting of the new rule,” Mr McGuirk said.

“The Competition Committee plays an important role in the game and will ensure that all aspects of the rule change are canvassed before the Commission finalises the matter.”

Last edited:

BunniesMan

Immortal
I've hardly been the commissions biggest fan. I've been critical of them when they've deserved. But I should praise them when they earn it. This is one of those times.

Good riddance. Our great game does not need the shoulder charge. It will go on just fine without the shoulder charge. The should charge is archaic and outdated in the 21st century. I applaud the ARLC for making this tough decision which will surely come with plenty of geniused criticism from idiots who want RL to be MMA.

user_nat

Coach
Stupid.

Those stats are interesting though. 0.05% must be ignoring the 1,000s of missed attempts.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Here we go. At last count 3 of them within 8 minutes of the link being posted.

Unlike you people, I love rugby league. I think it is the greatest game of all. If you think you need the shoulder charge to enjoy it you're not a real fan. This game is about great players showing and executing great skill for our enjoyment. The shoulder charge is dangerous. The shoulder charge is unnecessary. This great game of ours is every bit as good without it.

f**king ridiculous. The commission are just as reactionary and inept as the previous admin.

For a start they have no right to change the rules of the sport because they are NOT the governing body of the rugby league internationally. Secondly, contact with the head is already banned, which is the real issue, not the shoulder charge.

These incompetant f**kwits will be the death of the game, not the saviour.

Here we go. At last count 3 of them within 8 minutes of the link being posted.

Unlike you people, I love rugby league. I think it is the greatest game of all. If you think you need the shoulder charge to enjoy it you're not a real fan. This game is about great players showing and executing great skill for our enjoyment. The shoulder charge is dangerous. The shoulder charge is unnecessary. This great game of ours is every bit as good without it.
Says the Thwannies fan.