What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Commission to outlaw 'shoulder charge'

Should the Shoulder Charge be banned?

• Total voters

BunniesMan

Immortal
99.99% of the illegal tackles I've seen came as a result of attempted legal tackles. The whole thing must go :roll:

Tell me, if someone goes in for a legal tackle, hits shoulder first and the ball runner bounces away on impact before the tackler can wrap his arms around, should that be a penalty?
You're describing a shoulder charge there...unless you're a mindreader and know exactly what the tackler was thinking beforehand.

If players have a player in the air and he slips and lands on his head, its still a spear tackle.

It's the tacklers responsibility of doing the right thing the right way.

Fundamentally it comes down to lawsuits. The games governing body must do everything in its power to outlaw unnecessary danger or it opens itself to lawsuits from any player with brain issues even 10/20/30 years down the line.

Sad day.

Things like the shoulder charge seperate the men from the boys.

It's a tough game.

You accept that risk when you run on to the ground.

Springs

First Grade
You're describing a shoulder charge there...unless you're a mindreader and know exactly what the tackler was thinking beforehand.

If players have a player in the air and he slips and lands on his head, its still a spear tackle.

It's the tacklers responsibility of doing the right thing the right way.

Fundamentally it comes down to lawsuits. The games governing body must do everything in its power to outlaw unnecessary danger or it opens itself to lawsuits from any player with brain issues even 10/20/30 years down the line.

You dumbass. A lot of tackles lead with the point of the shoulder. Since I was a kid I've been taught to tackle shoulder first. A lot of tackles also end up with the ball runner bouncing off impact from the chest or arm, and you can bet we will see them penalised.

A lot of players are going to have to adjust their technique to avoid being penalised for bullshit things. This is just a ridiculous call.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Surely there is a way that can challenge this decision?

Why has one investigation been taken without any formal
survey of players and fans?

This is actually a significant change in RL. One of the key factors that
sets Rugby League apart from Union is the shoulder charge.

The reason RL is directly compared with NFL on Youtube is the shoulder
charge. It is one of the key distinctions we have.

The NFL has the spirally forward pass and the big Hit
The AFL has the big mark
Soccer has the bending goals or scissor kicks.

What does Rugby League have that set it DISTINCTIVELY apart from
Rugby Union? We have the play the ball - seriously is that it? We have
a Ten metre, which gives some more room but little that distinguishes us
as tougher or more spectacular.

"It was a full analysis which involved injury data, performance data and GPS data," Canavan said.

"It sought opinion from prominent people in the game. The clubs and players were provided the opportunity to provide feedback.

"So it become an evidence-based report, it was not findings.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-11-20/nrl-clubs-await-shoulder-charge-decision/4380896?section=sport

Fire

First Grade
Get out of this thread Dunnieswoman, you've had your say, now let others have theirs, you dumb truck.

BunniesMan

Immortal
@the f**kwit that said what do we have now that distinguishes us from Union. How about all the f**ken important things. Strength, speed, agility, more skill, more attack, more tries. You know...all the f**king important things. Not an archaic inefficient and ineffictive tool that belongs in the 20th century.

Noa

First Grade
Lets have a minutes break from posting in memory of the game of rugby league.

Vale

Campion

Juniors
This is f**ked. I cannot, CANNOT!, believe they have outlawed the shoulder charge. This is health & safety gone mad.
If shoulder charges aren't a big part of the game then why are the greatest league youtube clips all compilations of shoulder charges. Because it is the greatest spectacle of all. I hope there is some way this will be undone -- fan reaction, player revolt, or whatever.

This is actually a significant change in RL. One of the key factors that sets Rugby League apart from Union is the shoulder charge.
ROFL. Don't be an NRL coach, mate. You'll forget to tell your players about the limited tackle count. Which is THE difference between the 2 codes.

Dragonwest

Juniors
It's not just the act of shoulder charging, but the courage shown by your team mates to cart the ball up when the opposition are fired up that make Rugby League such a great game.

Iafeta

Referee
Its a pity. As a Warriors fan I was looking forward to round 2... Johnson v Maloney, $BW and Matulino in a shoulder charge-off.

BunniesMan

Immortal
A sad day for the greatest game of all.
Without the shoulder charge this is still the greatest game of all.
This is f**ked. I cannot, CANNOT!, believe they have outlawed the shoulder charge. This is health & safety gone mad.
If shoulder charges aren't a big part of the game then why are the greatest league youtube clips all compilations of shoulder charges. Because it is the greatest spectacle of all. I hope there is some way this will be undone -- fan reaction, player revolt, or whatever.
Will the "fans" who "revolt" offer to pay the comps legal bills when they get sued for allowing something that medical experts are saying is dangerous to happen.
It's not just the act of shoulder charging, but the courage shown by your team mates to cart the ball up when the opposition are fired up that make Rugby League such a great game.
Even with no shoulder charge it takes courage and balls to run the ball up into a wall of man mountains. Anyone who thinks RL is soft without the shoulder charge knows very little about the game they think they love.