What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/n...n/news-story/cc2a6f63e7370fd61cf4b7ed6ae4a3d3

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has given the NRL the all clear for a May 28 return with the state opening its borders for the competition.

Queensland government authorities informed ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys of the decision on Friday. The announcement however comes with a condition, if the NRL suffers another breach of coronavirus guidelines the door will be slammed shut.

“I said I was as keen as anyone else to see the NRL return and I meant it,” Palaszczuk said in a statement.

“The only condition was that it did not put our excellent work containing the spread of COVID-19 at risk and the Chief Health Officer advises that the NRL plan is workable.”

Clubs are now permitted to travel across the Queensland border to play and train, and local players are allowed to reside with their families in Queensland.

“First round games will be played in Queensland, and of course I put in a bid for a local grand final, and we all look forward to hosting the State of Origin,” Palaszczuk said.

Canard

Immortal
AFL players being classed as 'nobodies' is a reference to the fact they are not big names as the NRL players committing reaches. Heck I follow AFL and I had no idea who those Freo players are. My inference is that the higher the profile you have, the more protection you get from NRL/AFL sanction, that has been evidenced numerous times in the past. I have stated that the AFL sanctions should have been stronger so no AFL bias here.

The discussion I'm having is that regardless of the breach or the status of the player or code, there should have been suspensions handed down above any fines handed out. AFL did for one player, which could have been higher, should have for the others and the NRL did none which I felt was soft.

You can run off on whatever tangent you want about segregating COVID19 health risks with the other offences, but my point that the NRL wants to act as an organization with strength and integrity, doesn't follow through with that posturizing. To have players risk the recommencement of the game by not only flouting social distancing requirements, but committing firearms offences and not being suspended for even one week is a weak move. That's all I'm saying and that's only my opinion.

Sure the media can persist with the negative narrative but at a time where Vlandys started to get some momentum and build a presence, IMO he lost a bit by not taking a strong stance against these behaviors.

Wank wank money in the bank.

The NRL is putting that AFL to shame in terms of ambition and drive to restart and they need to spin this hard to try to discredit our great game.

I'm pissed at those wankers yes, and think the should have copped more, but the AFL are worse and have covered up big time.

Last edited:

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors
AFL handled better,

Wank wank money in the bank.

The NRL is putting that AFL to shame in terms of ambition and drive to restart and they need to spin this hard to try to discredit our great game.

I'm pissed at those wankers yes, and think the should have copped more, but the AFL are worse and have covered up big time.
Such precious northern merkins can’t handle a standpoint different to their own :)

If the NRL can pull it of then it’s a massive effort, especially with the warriors involved. It would mean a good 3-4 week jump on any other sport restarting. Just don’t need any more idiots putting it at risk.

The AFL are no doubt watching this very closely. If the NRL jump the hurdles and restart, the Vic connection will be knocking on doors.

Then watch the media change their tune.

Offsiders will be calling the AFL courageous.
Yep .
There will be many variations of how great it was handled by AFL house .
This will surely get a run .
The NRL went like a bull at agate .the AFL took a more steady caring approach
ENSURING the players safety .
Putting their health before the $$$..
All bases were covered ...blah blah blah

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Yep .
There will be many variations of how great it was handled by AFL house .
This will surely get a run .
The NRL went like a bull at agate .the AFL took a more steady caring approach
ENSURING the players safety .
Putting their health before the $$$..
All bases were covered ...blah blah blah
Of course money is a factor in the current crisis. But Rugby League has a long history of playing on through hard times - wars, Depression etc.

And there is also history of opposing football codes trying to tear us down for doing so.

Canard

Immortal
Such precious northern merkins can’t handle a standpoint different to their own :)

If the NRL can pull it of then it’s a massive effort, especially with the warriors involved. It would mean a good 3-4 week jump on any other sport restarting. Just don’t need any more idiots putting it at risk.

You seem upset, AFL troll?

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/n...n/news-story/cc2a6f63e7370fd61cf4b7ed6ae4a3d3

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has given the NRL the all clear for a May 28 return with the state opening its borders for the competition.

Queensland government authorities informed ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys of the decision on Friday. The announcement however comes with a condition, if the NRL suffers another breach of coronavirus guidelines the door will be slammed shut.

“I said I was as keen as anyone else to see the NRL return and I meant it,” Palaszczuk said in a statement.

“The only condition was that it did not put our excellent work containing the spread of COVID-19 at risk and the Chief Health Officer advises that the NRL plan is workable.”

Clubs are now permitted to travel across the Queensland border to play and train, and local players are allowed to reside with their families in Queensland.

“First round games will be played in Queensland, and of course I put in a bid for a local grand final, and we all look forward to hosting the State of Origin,” Palaszczuk said.
Excellent news :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Latest posts