What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Costigan GOOOOOORRRNE!!!

Sam_the_man

First Grade
Will McIvor be any better? I haven't seen any evidence from his Toyota Cup calls.

Will he be any worse? At least we wont gave the Costoisms. I'm looking forward to Dale Husband calling the U20's, and if Costo had to go to make way for Dale then i'm a happy camper.

Jesbass

First Grade
Will McIvor be any better? I haven't seen any evidence from his Toyota Cup calls.

I haven't seen (heard) his Toyota Cup calls, but apparently he's more of a cheerleader than Costigan. (Although, I honestly don't think Costigan was that much of a cheerleader.)

Jesbass

First Grade
Did you hear his junior test match calls?

McIvor's, do you mean? I've never seen a junior test match, so that's a "no" to whichever commentator you're referring to.

I can base my views of Costigan on what I've heard from the man himself, but on McIvor, hearsay opinion and his pro-Warriors blog are all I have to go on.

Skinner

Coach
Costo in the same sentence as Benaud? We may as well put mother Terrasa and Hitler into the same category.
Costo's failing was he let his anti Warrior and anti Kiwis in particular bias come through on his call.
Also, personally i sick to death of hearing about Joe Bloggs from the Bludaroo blowjobs or Nevil Nobody from bush footy playing for the Nugganugga Nose Bleeders and how his old man was once played 15 matches for Nose Bleeders in one day with stubbed toe back in 1961.

All the bias aside, do you reckon he was treated fairly ???

ozbash

Referee
watch the aftermatch interviews with lavina , players dont want to know..

she is as big an embarassment as zippy...

Juju

Juniors
All the bias aside, do you reckon he was treated fairly ???
No, Sky should of acted as soon as that article left. The guy was a long standing contractor - so to not act on the decision is pretty lousy I reckon.

Although I think its great sky finally took notice of the viewers overwhelming opinion.

Skinner

Coach
No, Sky should of acted as soon as that article left. The guy was a long standing contractor - so to not act on the decision is pretty lousy I reckon.

Although I think its great sky finally took notice of the viewers overwhelming opinion.

Quite agree, that's the only point I want to make

ozbash

Referee
Sorry, mate - not familiar with the nicknames. Who's Zippy?

Mc Givor

Stephen-McIvor-50x50.jpg

If your asking was his contract terminated in a professional manner then i'd have to so no it wasn't terminated professionally.

Exactly.

I can't wait till Dale Husband succeeds Zippy for the FG games, it shouldn't take long if we go hard like we did at Costo LOL!.:D

Jesbass

First Grade
Y'know, the more I think about it, the less I think Costigan was biased for/against any particular teams.

I remember being told by a Warriors fan that he was biased against the Warriors. That took me by surprise because I'd never noticed it. So the next time, I paid close attention, and if anything, he seemed to be biased in our favour. I always found it interesting that there were Warriors fans saying he was biased against the Warriors, but I also found fans of other teams saying he was biased against theirs.

But something perhaps worth noting is that when he was criticial of the Warriors, he was equal to - or, in most cases, less critical than - the very Warriors fans accusing him of bias. And yet when we played well, he waxed lyrical about us.

I dare say, that if it wasn't for the Australian accent, the accusations of bias would have drastically reduced in both quantity and volume.

So the facts that his criticisms were less than those of Warriors fans, that his criticisms weren't consistent, and that other fans felt he was biased against their team when they played the Warriors, has led me to a simple conclusion: rather than being anti-Warriors or pro-Warriors, I think he was just purely pro-league.

I know that sounds like a cliché, and perhaps it is, but I think it's a warranted call. He'd get particularly animated when a really impressively good or bad play was made, regardless of who did it. The guy really does appear to have been a league tragic who called it the way he saw it - complete with Australian accent and outrageous rhetoric.

ozbash

Referee
I dare say, that if it wasn't for the Australian accent, the accusations of bias would have drastically reduced in both quantity and volume.

exactly mate, Costo is one of those hyper people who, once they get on a verbal roll, take a bit of pulling up.

For an Aussie (an incredibly proud Qlder), he's ok.

got a lot of time for him.

Rich102

Staff member

What article? have I missed something? (Again.)

Rich102

Staff member
I found his call a bit irritating - but that probably had more to do with his colloquialisms than anything else.
League in NZ is grown-up; we don't need a relief worker flown in from Australia to tell us how our team is playing. Give our own guys a chance.
I don't know if McIvor will be any better, if not boot him and give someone else the job. It's not rocket science!
One thing TV commentators need to learn is that they are not talking to radio listeners. The audiance can see what is going on they just need the finer points explained.
The manner Costo was told by Sky was poor. Then again Sky is not known for it's public relations strengths. Those of you who have met him say he is a nice guy - good enough for me; but I won't miss him in my lounge on game day.
One other thing that bothers me is the influx of non-leaguies to the ranks of commentators. McIvor had no history of league - and it showed. Lavinia Good has none - and it shows even more. What is wrong with a good kiwi bloke who knows and loves his league saying a few words during the game? They don't have to be paid by the word.
I used to like Steve Robilliard in the old days.