What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Costigan GOOOOOORRRNE!!!

ozbash

Referee
One other thing that bothers me is the influx of non-leaguies to the ranks of commentators. McIvor had no history of league - and it showed. Lavinia Good has none

outrageously true ! both put together they know sfa..

what is it with kiwi commentators ?
anyone listened to 'rigga' richardson try and do the cricket ?

The boys on Maori tele are the best, even when its in maori !!

Sam_the_man

First Grade
Dale Husband is the equal of most overseas commentators. McIvor may not have a background in league but he has a burning passion for the game and thats good enough for me.

Jesbass

First Grade
Dale Husband is the equal of most overseas commentators. McIvor may not have a background in league but he has a burning passion for the game and thats good enough for me.

I question this statement. (Unless you think Costigan doesn't/didn't have a burning passion for the game, in which case I'll agree to disagree.)

ozbash

Referee
McIvor may not have a background in league but he has a burning passion for the game and thats good enough for me.

zippy has a burning passion for zippy.

he is a career orientated commentator, he'll call anything to advance up the ladder.

You think PRo and Halligan are bad ?
you aint heard nothing yet..

Sam_the_man

First Grade
Your being harsh on McIvor, Ozbash. He loves the game, his enthusiasm comes through on tv. And for the record i don't mind Halligan.

Scorpio30

Bench
Interesting trivia...Scorpio30 sat across the aisle from "Costo" on a flight from Sydney to Brisbane last Monday lunchtime.

Sam_the_man

First Grade
I question this statement. (Unless you think Costigan doesn't/didn't have a burning passion for the game, in which case I'll agree to disagree.)

Costigan is as passionate about league as McIvor. But the difference is Costigan can't help but let his bias against the Warriors and the Kiwi's seep out. When Hughes used to do the New Zealand commentary he never let his bias (if any) come through his call, he'd call it down the middle.

Jesbass

First Grade
Costigan is as passionate about league as McIvor. But the difference is Costigan can't help but let his bias against the Warriors and the Kiwi's seep out. When Hughes used to do the New Zealand commentary he never let his bias (if any) come through his call, he'd call it down the middle.

Regardless of any perceived bias by Warriors fans or the fans of their opponents, do you retract (or perhaps elaborate on) your statement?

You said passion is enough for you, but your pleasure at Costigan's departure suggests otherwise. Your only opposition to Costigan is perceived bias.

So I'm assuming, therefore, that you're happy to see Costigan go, but unhappy that McIvor (with his perceived bias) is his replacement?

Sam_the_man

First Grade
Regardless of any perceived bias by Warriors fans or the fans of their opponents, do you retract (or perhaps elaborate on) your statement?

You said passion is enough for you, but your pleasure at Costigan's departure suggests otherwise. Your only opposition to Costigan is perceived bias.

So I'm assuming, therefore, that you're happy to see Costigan go, but unhappy that McIvor (with his perceived bias) is his replacement?

I'm a Warriors and Kiwis fan, why would i be unhappy with McIvor? And it wasn't a perceived bias from Costogan it was genuine.

Sam_the_man

First Grade
If a 50/50 call went the Warriors way good Costo would have a pop at 'blind freddy' for not seeing an 'error' Costo could see.
Apart from terminating Costos in a very poor fashion Sky's other mistake was not dropping Costo sooner.

Jesbass

First Grade
I'm a Warriors and Kiwis fan, why would i be unhappy with McIvor? And it wasn't a perceived bias from Costogan it was genuine.

I'm not sure if you can see it, but your original statement doesn't hold water. (That's entirely fine, by the way. I just don't believe when you say that as long as someone is passionate, you'll be happy with them as a commentator.)

Incidentally, all bias is perceived, whether it's true or not. Opposition fans perceived the same thing. Make of that what you will.

playdaball

Bench
When Hughes used to do the New Zealand commentary he never let his bias (if any) come through his call, he'd call it down the middle.

Graeme Hughes was a great caller but he was smart. His calls were biased toward the Warriors as he was calling to a Kiwi audience.

The same applies to Allen Mac on radio.

Jesbass

First Grade
Graeme Hughes was a great caller but he was smart. His calls were biased toward the Warriors as he was calling to a Kiwi audience.

The same applies to Allen Mac on radio.

I never really noticed Hughes being pro-Warriors because he shared the commentating box with Graeme Lowe, who was as pro-Warriors as Gary Freeman is pro-Tigers. It sounds like McIvor will be much the same.

I personally prefer a less biased call, but some people like a cheerleading commentator.

Sam_the_man

First Grade
I don't understand where the cheerleading calls are coming from in regards to McIvor. What evidence is there of this?

playdaball

Bench
Perhaps Mc Ivor will do a Holyfield and make a boxing comeback? If so he'll get knocked over and perhaps Dale Husband or Ken Laban will step up?

ha ha ha ...

He is the worst boxer around. Those bunnies that SBW beat would kill McIvor.

Last edited:

Jesbass

First Grade
Do you mean his one tribe blog? Surely he is payed to cheerlead in that instance?

I'd be surprised if he's paid for that blog at all. There's probably something in it for him, but I doubt it's financial.

Do you think SKY pays him to cheerlead in the build up, too? It's certainly possible.

It's also possible that he's a big Warriors fan.

Who knows. Those who have heard his NYC calls would have a better idea than me.