What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cowboys robbed clear as day

Cryptic

Juniors
Agree with most of that but surely if 2 refs and 2 touchies can't pick up a strip as blatant as the one that led to te Cowboys' 2nd try then their competence must be brought into question? What about the ability of a touchie to call a forward pass that is thrown just a few meters away? It's not like he was looking 25m infield with players obstructing his view.

Agreed with the earlier post that it was a on the run decision and sometimes they get them wrong but FFS... He hardly touched it... You have to at least TRY and hold the ball... I realise they aren't meant to touch the ball after the tackle is completed (although not like refs enforce this often... 10% of the time at best) but if you were going to discribe what that was in words "stripped" is a bit much.... I would go with "brushed"...

Garts

Bench
The refs are a disgrace. Jorges try was a clear case of benefit of the doubt though. I could have copped that as a try from the Cowboys against us. As for Foran, clear knock in imo, no idea how they stuffed it up. The refs are so incompetent. Then in real time they missed the strip on Jorge that led to a Cowboys try and then Jorge grounded the ball in goal only to be allowed to run up field.

At the end of the day Manly were probably the better side. However the better side does not always win. If I was a Cowboys fan I would feel cheated of the chance to win the game. In saying that I will take the win. No doubt we will cop some howlers at some point from the refs down the track.

Manly fans shouldn't even be in this thread, they cannot possibly view tonight objectively due to confirmation bias.

Get f**ked go back a few pages and read my post, and also a few of the other Manly Supporters are saying most of the same things that everybody else is saying, i understand you are pissed off, but get some perspective

beave

Coach
If you listen to the audio, Henry's comment on Glen Hall's penalty very early in the game for holding down was exactly what I thought at the same time, you would get 47 penalties a game if you are gonna pull that up. You expect a few dud calls every game (Manly got a few tonight as well) but tonight we couldn't buy a f**king thing out there.

Danny-Boy

Juniors
Fox commentators thought it looked in forans favour on one angle, and against on another. They didn't mind the benefit of the doubt. What's all the butthurt about?

bottle

Coach
Agree with most of that but if 2 refs and 2 touchies can't pick up a strip as blatant as the one that led to the 2nd Cowboys' try then surely we must be questioning their ability to adjudicate on any aspect of the game competently? How about a touchie picking up a forward pass that is thrown just a few meters from him?

Tbh I don't know how the issue of forward passes can be addressed, same goes for strips. On the strip though, it's blatant to us because we see replays, different angles etc. The refs/touchies see them blind sided and at ground level. Look at Morris 2010GF as a classic example of an official being unsighted.

I have a few ideas of my own but this isn't the time or place for them. I just know that excuses can be made for on field errors at speed, but not for what we witnessed tonight. In all honesty, if Manly were knocked out by the 'try' given to Gaz against them a couple of years ago you'd still be spewing wouldn't you?

This isn't about who you support, it really isn't. This is about the integrity of the game. It's being damaged.

I don't like Manly, wanted them to lose. But if they win a fair battle deservedly they get my grudging respect because invariably they deserve it. They may have done that tonight, probably wold have the way the game was going. The result aside, the decisions were appalling. It's the decsions that deserve more scrutiny than the result.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Fox commentators thought it looked in forans favour on one angle, and against on another. They didn't mind the benefit of the doubt. What's all the butthurt about?

I thought the same at first. You have to look very closely at Foran's hand and you see his index finger buckle. It becomes clear that he did touch the ball.

I honestly don't think most people have actually gone that far though, they are just assuming based on the direction the ball travelled. He really doesn't get that much on it, but he definitely gets something on it.

user_nat

Coach
If you listen to the audio, Henry's comment on Glen Hall's penalty very early in the game for holding down was exactly what I thought at the same time, you would get 47 penalties a game if you are gonna pull that up. You expect a few dud calls every game (Manly got a few tonight as well) but tonight we couldn't buy a f**king thing out there.
Agreed.
Most of us Broncos fans were complaining about the same thing after our prelim against Manly last year. They received the 2 softest penalties possible in the first 2 minutes (which they scored off) and from that point on we were on the back foot.
That said, I in no way feel we were robbed or anything on that occasion. Wasn't much in common with tonights terrible ref efforts other than that.

bottle

Coach
I thought the same at first. You have to look very closely at Foran's hand and you see his index finger buckle. It becomes clear that he did touch the ball.

I honestly don't think most people have actually gone that far though, they are just assuming based on the direction the ball travelled. He really doesn't get that much on it, but he definitely gets something on it.

No most saw it first time around. You were one of the few that needed extra looks. We'll never know why.

well there is your problem, according to most people around here you have to pay the refs More, or pay Ken Arthurson directly, in a Huge Brown suitcase

:D:D HBJ places his tongue firmly in his Cheek :D:D

firechild

First Grade
Tbh I don't know how the issue of forward passes can be addressed, same goes for strips. On the strip though, it's blatant to us because we see replays, different angles etc. The refs/touchies see them blind sided and at ground level. Look at Morris 2010GF as a classic example of an official being unsighted.

I have a few ideas of my own but this isn't the time or place for them. I just know that excuses can be made for on field errors at speed, but not for what we witnessed tonight. In all honesty, if Manly were knocked out by the 'try' given to Gaz against them a couple of years ago you'd still be spewing wouldn't you?

This isn't about who you support, it really isn't. This is about the integrity of the game. It's being damaged.

I don't like Manly, wanted them to lose. But if they win a fair battle deservedly they get my grudging respect because invariably they deserve it. They may have done that tonight, probably wold have the way the game was going. The result aside, the decisions were appalling. It's the decsions that deserve more scrutiny than the result.

Yes I'd be annoyed and I'm not saying NQ fans shouldn't be but I think the claims that Manly were gifted the result are a bit rediculous. Yes, a decision by a video ref is worse than one by an on field ref (or 4) but the simple fact is both teams ended up with one try that probably should not have been awarded so the final result is probably fairly reflective of the game that was played.

That said, I completely agree with respect to the quality of the officiating. LIke most people, I'll take it when it goes our way because there's been plenty of times when it has cost us a game (think gridiron pass by Parra in 2010 or knock on ruled against Lyon against the Cowboys last year). It doesn't change my view that the quality of officials is getting worse at an alarming rate.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach

I've admitted above that I was wrong. If you focus on Foran's index finger you will notice the ball definitely hits it.

I still think most people are being fooled by the optical illusion of Foran's arm coming in and the ball then traveling in the direction of his arm. Actually if you watch more closely you'll see Foran hits Thurston and totally changes the direction that Thurston's arm and hand are facing and the likely trajectory of the ball off Thurston's hand. It still appears to mostly come off Thurston..

...but still, it does touch Foran