What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDGS

Bench
It defies logic that you take numbers out of a statistic because it doesn't suit your argument.

The Round 5 match was a allocated home game for the Dragons, not their fault it was forced to be moved. They had more fans there than us that night, that is also a fact.

The Bulldogs home game in Brisbane, (which you would know had you done your research) doesn't count. It's a double header which under the official stats keeper, NRL Stats, keeps separate. The Bulldogs and Manly will finish the season with 11 home games as there is no fair or accurate way to split the crowd figure.

It was a dragons home game but it was also a special occasion. It wouldn't of of that high of a crowd if it was t at the SCG. St George Illawarra Dragons club does not count the SCG as a home venue.

BDGS

Bench
Hang on a second, you are advocating that teams playing in suburban grounds move games to bigger grounds yet you want to ignore the crowd when they do?

I've never advocated that. I love the suburbian grounds and I also love ANZ Stadium.

BDGS

Bench
Officially it is recognised as a home game. That's how the stats will read.

Source: http://nrl.has.it

St George Illawarra

Home games: 3
Total crowd: 63497
Average crowd: 21166

Away games: 6
Total crowd: 124276
Average crowd: 20713

Home and Away games: 9
Total crowd: 187773
Average crowd: 20864

The home games include the SCG match.

Of course if you choose not to recognise the SCG game, that's your choice to make.

But throughout the history of the game, clubs have been known to move home venues and it has always been officially recognised as a home game.

For example, when St George played Balmain in Adelaide in 1991, it was officially a Dragons home game. We even had official home games at Belmore in the late 80s when the grand stand at Kogarah was being upgraded.

I think you'll find the club does.

I suppose from a fan's perspective, the SCG is not 'home' as such because it's not in the home district, but that's where the home game was moved to.

Hope that clears things up.

I know what will go down officially, however that is the topic of the conversation.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
It was a dragons home game but it was also a special occasion. It wouldn't of of that high of a crowd if it was t at the SCG. St George Illawarra Dragons club does not count the SCG as a home venue.

It wasn't a special occasion, it was a forced relocation due to the unavailability at late notice of WIN Jubilee Oval, which is where the game was originally scheduled.

It is a St George Illawarra home game which, whether you like it or not, was their home ground that game.

The Wests Tigers play there in Round 22, are you going to declare that they can't use that crowd as part of their average? :lol:

BDGS

Bench
It wasn't a special occasion, it was a forced relocation due to the unavailability at late notice of WIN Jubilee Oval, which is where the game was originally scheduled.

It is a St George Illawarra home game which, whether you like it or not, was their home ground that game.

The Wests Tigers play there in Round 22, are you going to declare that they can't use that crowd as part of their average? :lol:

Obviously you have trouble reading, I have never stated they shouldn't be counted. They are officially counted, all I have stated is it isn't a fair comparison when using games like this played on special occassions which become an event.

It was a special event, heritage round against arch rivals at a ground that no longer holds regular NRL matches and holds so much Rugby Leahue history.

Even after the game it was agreed that the crowd would not of been that big in those conditions played anywhere else.

Imbecile

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Obviously you have trouble reading, I have never stated they shouldn't be counted. They are officially counted, all I have stated is it isn't a fair comparison when using games like this played on special occassions which become an event.

It was a special event, heritage round against arch rivals at a ground that no longer holds regular NRL matches and holds so much Rugby Leahue history.

Even after the game it was agreed that the crowd would not of been that big in those conditions played anywhere else.

Imbecile
Nice throwing in of the insult there, because I so did that to you in my most recent post... :roll:

As for your call, any match "promoted specially" as some sort of "special event" shouldn't be counted.

We can't just stop counting these so-called "outliers" so we can make statistical, petty arguments over how bad you want the Dragons' crowds to appear.

In reality, we should probably all be trying to encourage better crowds instead of using it as pointscoring on a forum over opposition fans.

Although I suppose for the Raiders fans chiming in on this, it's all we've got.

BDGS

Bench
Nice throwing in of the insult there, because I so did that to you in my most recent post... :roll:

As for your call, any match "promoted specially" as some sort of "special event" shouldn't be counted.

We can't just stop counting these so-called "outliers" so we can make statistical, petty arguments over how bad you want the Dragons' crowds to appear.

In reality, we should probably all be trying to encourage better crowds instead of using it as pointscoring on a forum over opposition fans.

Although I suppose for the Raiders fans chiming in on this, it's all we've got.

All I'm saying is crowd figures and stats sometimes doesn't te the full story, can we agree on that?

I agree with your point on encouraging bigger crowds as it will benefit all of us and the game itself which is what we all want, right?

BDGS

Bench
Yes you did. You said: "How can anybody think that the SCG Heritage game should count?"

Your words.

Yep, fair enough you caught me out there. I'll be the first to admit that. I worded it incorrectly, it should of read something along the lines of playing a game at an neutral venue on a special weekend is always going to score a big crowd and while it officially counts it does not tell the full story when compared to other teams which I think is a fair call.

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors
Yep, fair enough you caught me out there. I'll be the first to admit that. I worded it incorrectly, it should of read something along the lines of playing a game at an neutral venue on a special weekend is always going to score a big crowd and while it officially counts it does not tell the full story when compared to other teams which I think is a fair call.

Cool_story_bro%202.jpeg

Serc

First Grade
Does the no trolls icon FINALLY mean that people like Haynetrain and RP will be weeded out of here quick smart if they continue their typical posts, and the proper discussion can return? I haven't bothered posting here much at all this season because this thread is full of crap. Used to enjoy reading the weekly crowd size forecasts etc etc...which don't seem to happen much any more.

Edit: Hang on I see where it comes from now, just loaded up the advanced post window...

Last edited:

Serc

First Grade
The Broncos, Titans etc don't pay technically. It's included in the ticket price. None of the teams have a choice.

Hmm I too thought that they had no choice, BUT it also meant each club had to front up a nominated fee for each game to help cover those public transport costs. Surely the government doesn't pay for it?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Does the no trolls icon FINALLY mean that people like Haynetrain and RP will be weeded out of here quick smart if they continue their typical posts, and the proper discussion can return? I haven't bothered posting here much at all this season because this thread is full of crap. Used to enjoy reading the weekly crowd size forecasts etc etc...which don't seem to happen much any more.
I understand that's the general idea Serc. The actual guidelines for this are still being nutted out. The object is to encourage good discussion (and banter can be part of it), so we don't want to lose sight of that.

JT_

Juniors
I was at the game last night and i did see something under the big screen on the eastern stand. Happened in the second half, not sure if that's what you guys were referring to earlier.

Definitely thought the crowd was bigger than 34k though, predicted at least 38k.

Status
Not open for further replies.