What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Anyone who doubts the power of marketing of NRL,

Needs to do some checking through history.

The ARL and Triple M from memory got massively stuck into a huge promotional campaign, for a couple of MNF games in 1996.

Almost 38k turned out to see Manly v Roosters...

Today on a Monday night it would get 8k...

Sydney City
Date: Mon 22-Jul-1996 Venue:S.F.S.
Crowd: 37,981
Manly
Manly won by 28 pts [Match details]

http://stats.rleague.com/rl/seas/1996.html#11

The crowd at ANZ pretty much sums up NSW's shit take of an attitude towards Rugby League. Aren't Canterbury and Souffs supposed to be 2 of the biggest clubs?

1 team town.
Sunday afternoon.
Not raining.
26k crowd.

But but but we don't like playing on Fridays, if we had a sunday game we would have a bigger crowd !

:roll:

user_nat

Coach
1 team town.
Sunday afternoon.
Not raining.
26k crowd.

But but but we don't like playing on Fridays, if we had a sunday game we would have a bigger crowd !

:roll:

It's not raining about as much as it was last night..

First sub 30k since July last year.

Brutus

Referee

The ARL and Triple M from memory got massively stuck into a huge promotional campaign, for a couple of MNF games in 1996.

Sydney City
Manly

Roosters v Broncos got 36k.

I agree Cumberland; where has the promotion gone? The NRL always preaches to the converted.

Sydney City
Manly

Maccas don't hand out free tickets anymore unfortunately :lol:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yup, there was only around 4k of them max ! They were all in one corner; the rest of the stadium was us.

On the crowd though, the Bulldogs and the Rabitohs have a massive contingent of families that come to games and I think the rain would have turned many away. I mean I took my little cousin to the game and I regret it because it was very uncomfortable to sit in that weather.

Not sure what game you went to but it wasn't uncomfortable at all unless you went in a tshirt? We were sat in row 14 in the front block and didn't get wet, no wind, not that cold. Apart from having to dry the seat when we got there it wasn't "uncomfortable" at all. I've come to the conclusion RL just isn't as popular in Sydney as we like to think it is.

aarondoyle

Juniors
It rained all week, including yesterday and this morning.

Is this a reasonable excuse? No. Piss poor Brisbane.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think everyone can agree growing crowds needs to be a real priority for the ARLC. Going to be interesting to see what strategies they have to do it. Hopefully better marketing, hyping up massively potential big drawing games and subsidising ticket fees will be a start. Fixed scheduling and a push for better stadia would also be helpful.

Crowds have been pretty much static overall for over 5 years, lots of work to do to get them moving upwards again.

Status
Not open for further replies.