What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014 part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

oikee

Juniors
B&E
Boring and embarrassing.
The end is near as hundreds of thousands switch off nine and head to seven.
AFL, Rugby, and even soccer are now kicking our heads in, well done to Dave Smith and John Grant.

Time to bring out the big axe, bring in the yanks now to salvage this mess.

oldmancraigy

Coach
You should probably put more blame on the teams and their promotion, rather than blaming the game etc etc.

If it was the game, then how come the Broncos and Rabbitohs are having their 2nd best crowd seasons ever? How come all of Parramatta, St Geo/illa, New Zealand, Melbourne are having one of their best seasons?

Sure, it doesn't help this year that some clubs are awful - for some reason the Manly, the Roosters, and the Dogs are having poor years despite being top 8 teams. But worse are the Cowboys, Titans, Raiders, who are all on track to have one of their worst years in history (for the Titans, it looks to be easily their worst).

So, while some clubs have done well, others have done pathetically! Real contrasts this year.

ByRd

First Grade
They are currently at their lowest average since 2002.

Not the best year for our crowds but we were given a really crap draw at home this year.

- Good Friday game went to Souths this year so does not bump up the average.

- We played the dragons only once (stupid decision) and it was their "home" game at ANZ.

- We played the Eels, Roosters and Eagles at home during the origin period without origin players.

- And our last two home games are on a Thursday night which is proving to be not that popular.

Hopefully the NRL can see this and other crowd results and fix things up where they can, I understand the TV deal and TV money but its an embarrassing look that needs fixing asap.

Galeforce

Bench
Thursday night football is great for TV however the NRL should ensure that it is played at a ground that makes most sense for the day/time/traffic/easy transport/central location/ground size . etc.

Playing a thursday night game at ANZ Stadium , when there is a school / work day next day is MADNESS.
If you are to play thursday night

NZ , Alliance , Brookvale, Shark Park, Canberra, Gold Coast , NewCastle, Cowboys , even Brisbane etc
ANYWAY except ANZ Stadium

oikee

Juniors
kicking our heads in? get off the acid

Every week we see crowds disappear, where are they headed,? to other codes where supporters are welcomed at prime-time, not some ungodly hour during the week.
The NRL has let the fans down, and the game with made-up shonky rules and refs who are blind and biased/

Even last nights number was fudged - not blaming the Dogs, the Tigers or the promotion..........it is pure and simple.

No one wants Thursday night football and the TV ratings surely would tell as story. If the NRL isn't seriously concerned at how bad the last two Thursday games are, they are dellusional.

And if you had a game at Brookie, Parra, or any smaller ground..........you wouldn't have got a big crowd. Thursday nights just don't work.

oikee

Juniors
You should probably put more blame on the teams and their promotion, rather than blaming the game etc etc.

If it was the game, then how come the Broncos and Rabbitohs are having their 2nd best crowd seasons ever? How come all of Parramatta, St Geo/illa, New Zealand, Melbourne are having one of their best seasons?

Sure, it doesn't help this year that some clubs are awful - for some reason the Manly, the Roosters, and the Dogs are having poor years despite being top 8 teams. But worse are the Cowboys, Titans, Raiders, who are all on track to have one of their worst years in history (for the Titans, it looks to be easily their worst).

So, while some clubs have done well, others have done pathetically! Real contrasts this year.

The worst result for rugby league is teams outside Sydney always being gutted by bad ref decisions, and the NRL putting all their efforts into Sydney teams with little growth future.
Manly and the Roosters at the top of the comp is not growing the game.
Their crowds are pathetic, and both teams are packed with superstars and internationals.

Look, i have been down on this code for a decade now, they seem to keep shooting themselves in both feet.
Until a cultural change happens, then expect nothing more than watching pathetic crwods at a big white elephant, ANZ stadium.
It is now hard to watch games at this atmosphere sapping round stadium.

ouwet

Bench
Even last nights number was fudged - not blaming the Dogs, the Tigers or the promotion..........it is pure and simple.

No one wants Thursday night football and the TV ratings surely would tell as story. If the NRL isn't seriously concerned at how bad the last two Thursday games are, they are dellusional.

And if you had a game at Brookie, Parra, or any smaller ground..........you wouldn't have got a big crowd. Thursday nights just don't work.

They weren't fudged!!

I've been too ANZ hundreds of times and have become pretty good at estimating crowds... I called 10K at the ground!!

I'm guessing the camera only shows the end opposite the tunnel! Also when it rains everyone moves up (Like the SFS) which makes it look smaller.

oikee

Juniors
Let me explain some of the cause and effect of last night's game.
The wife for the first time in our marriage went to bed early, she had fallen asleep with the lack of atmosphere and action.
The cat called tiger was in bed before the first half had finished.

The team the tigers sent onto the park were a under 20's quality side, and they played like one.
The Dogs really were not that much better, with Morris hobbling on one leg.

I shut the TV down and joined the Mrs at half time, the game was a snoozefest.
This action meant i could not even be bothered with the Footy Show, which i did not even bother to tape.
Our code needs to be careful, it is doing everything possible to piss whole families off, even our pets.

insert.pause

First Grade

Last week rated very well, last night was just a bad game and there have been bad games for 100 years.

Sure, a bigger crowd would have created a better atmosphere and players probably would have played better as a result, but it was always going to be a stinker and I doubt we would have got too many more people there on another timeslot.

undertaker

Coach
Last week rated very well, last night was just a bad game and there have been bad games for 100 years.

Sure, a bigger crowd would have created a better atmosphere and players probably would have played better as a result, but it was always going to be a stinker and I doubt we would have got too many more people there on another timeslot.

The Footy Show's ratings in Brisbane were absolutely pathetic (I can't post them here due to forum restrictions on quoting OzTAM figures, but you can go and see them for yourself). Sydney's has taken a big hit since it's been moved back to 9:45pm. But in saying that, The Footy Show now drags out waaaay too long with all these useless segments. Even when it commenced at 8:30pm, it didn't finish until 11pm. IMO, it shouldn't be any longer than 1 to 1 1/2 hrs max.

Kirky

Juniors
Every week we see crowds disappear, where are they headed,? to other codes where supporters are welcomed at prime-time, not some ungodly hour during the week.

Hahaha, what? They're not going to other codes, they're just staying at home and watching on the TV, as evidenced by the big ratings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts