What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
who cares man! come out, get drenched and go home a happy man when we crush them dirty silvertails!!!!

unless you're a knights fan, in which case come anyway

Wouldn't miss it. Stood in rain last year v Cowboys and remember some shockers over the years. Sirros last game and Balmain last came spring to mind. Support knights but would support tigers against just about any other team. Especially Manly

SaraSassypants

Juniors
Looks like a well justified decision to me. I think this game at this venue has the potential to become a regular season blockbuster as well, no reason why it shouldn't be built up as an old boys day for both clubs who have rich histories in the game. Sure round stadiums don't provide the best viewing angles but it's a one off game and with the history that's behind the SCG it makes it that little bit more special than just your ordinary club game. These are the types of games clubs & the NRL need to start building up. No reason why this game couldn't be getting 40k on a regular basis if they continue to build it up for the next few years.
Awesome idea. Hope the NRL runs with it.

georgesnmith

Juniors
Wouldn't miss it. Stood in rain last year v Cowboys and remember some shockers over the years. Sirros last game and Balmain last came spring to mind. Support knights but would support tigers against just about any other team. Especially Manly

good man you sound like a great fan.

newman

First Grade
it is central compared to the rest of sydney.

and not too hard to get to by train. other than the CBD, where else comes close in terms of centrality?

sure if your from cronulla its far but cronulla is out on the southern fringe of sydney anyway, its near nowhere.

My company has a box out there and a big portion of my job is to convince key DMs and influencers to attend all types of events, not just NRL. These people come from all over Sydney and they ALL grumble about he location of the joint. It only links to one rail line and the roads around the M4 and the links south and north are choked. It is really only convenient for people who live in that 10km radius. The city is FAR better for a major stadium because the transport links are based there and being close to the city means people can trek there straight after work. If there was a light rail or better link to Central station to the Moore Park precinct we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

pHyR3

Juniors
My company has a box out there and a big portion of my job is to convince key DMs and influencers to attend all types of events, not just NRL. These people come from all over Sydney and they ALL grumble about he location of the joint. It only links to one rail line and the roads around the M4 and the links south and north are choked. It is really only convenient for people who live in that 10km radius. The city is FAR better for a major stadium because the transport links are based there and being close to the city means people can trek there straight after work. If there was a light rail or better link to Central station to the Moore Park precinct we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

you want light rail instead of trains??

theres a direct and free train, central, redfern, strathfield, ANZ. Takes about 22minutes from central to ANZ.

what alternative do you propose for transport to ANZ.

i agree that a stadium near the city would be better, but this is what we've got.

newman

First Grade
you want light rail instead of trains??

theres a direct and free train, central, redfern, strathfield, ANZ. Takes about 22minutes from central to ANZ.

what alternative do you propose for transport to ANZ.

i agree that a stadium near the city would be better, but this is what we've got.

The direct free trains are good, when they run, for smaller events you have to change at Lidcombe. And again you have to get to the city first, and for many commuters that means doubling back on the direction they came. Getting there via rail from the SW is shocking. It's not ANZs fault, but the rail system which is a hub/spoke set up. Unless you are in that hub (which is cbd) it's a fact that you ain't Central.

I go to ANZ about 25 times a year and have done for six years, so am in a pretty good position to comment. I've travelled to events from the the office in Alexandria, various residences in Bondi, Cronulla and Newtown and have experimented with driving, trains, and taxis. The best experiences were the express direct trains from the CBD, but faaaaark I was in the CBD to begin with, so I don't see how going 22km west is a better result.

On the light rail thing, they should've built a link to Central by either heavy or light rail when the SFS was completed in 88. Had they done that I guarantee you Sydney by now would've closed the gap on Melbourne on having a sport attendance culture......

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
"For smaller events you have to change at Lidcombe" - nope, not anymore. Train travel is free and they run it direct from Central for a couple of services (not full runs like big games obviously).

If the problem is doubling back, get to Strathfield or Lidcombe instead? Not that hard...

oikee

Juniors
It will get to the stage where they will need to hire some helicopters to get sydney fans to games. Deliver them to the front door.
Fork me, i'm done.

Well done the bunnies dragons, i never complained about the size of your crowd, just the empty stadium that the camera was pointed at all game.

BuffaloRules

Coach
On the ferry now on my way to Leichhardt.

It is absolutely teaming down.

They would have got 18K on a fine day.

They can't take a trick at the moment.

newman

First Grade
"For smaller events you have to change at Lidcombe" - nope, not anymore. Train travel is free and they run it direct from Central for a couple of services (not full runs like big games obviously).

If the problem is doubling back, get to Strathfield or Lidcombe instead? Not that hard...

I didn't know that. Is that a new thing this year? I'm lucky the boss has given me some cab charges for this year so haven't been on the train. $88-95 one way.

With all the rain in NSW emphasis the importance of a national competition, if they were games in WA & SA also this weekend the rain factor would be minimized.Due to the NSW-centric nature of the competition the rain will effect majority of the games throughout the season thus affecting crowd numbers.

boonboon

Juniors
The good news is that the tickets have already been sold - the ground was almost sold out this morning only a few tickets left is my understanding.

So even if we only get 10k the good news for the club is they still make the money

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
With all the rain in NSW emphasis the importance of a national competition, if they were games in WA & SA also this weekend the rain factor would be minimized.Due to the NSW-centric nature of the competition the rain will effect majority of the games throughout the season thus affecting crowd numbers.

Not only that, this shows the need for better stadiums.

The hill at Liechhart is going to be a mud patch and the stands wont be much better.

Compare that to a world-class roofed stadium that they should be playing out of (on a related note, Gallop is a twat) and you realise how far behind the times these teams are.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I didn't know that. Is that a new thing this year? I'm lucky the boss has given me some cab charges for this year so haven't been on the train. $88-95 one way.
It is new... surprising you haven't seen - but that comes down to how NRL communicates it I guess. Was a big deal made about it at season kickoff. How are the NRL missing people with this stuff - especially regulars?
Go back a week and Perth drew 12k to a 20k capacity ground in pissing rain... it's not a uniquely-Sydney problem.
The good news is that the tickets have already been sold - the ground was almost sold out this morning only a few tickets left is my understanding.

So even if we only get 10k the good news for the club is they still make the money
Maybe so, but there's THOUSANDS of $$$ in lost food & bev and merchandise sales.

My understanding is that they barely make money when playing at Leichhardt in any case.

newman

First Grade
It is new... surprising you haven't seen - but that comes down to how NRL communicates it I guess. Was a big deal made about it at season kickoff. How are the NRL missing people with this stuff - especially regulars?

Mate like I said I've got a reprieve from public transport so it just wasn't on my radar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts