What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Springs

First Grade
People laughed at me saying they would be lucky to get 17k....seriously that is AT THE MOST! Dreadful timeslot for this game...put it on Sunday afternoon and it gets 25-30k

lol, people always say this about SFS games and they very, very rarely get that. It's only really ANZAC Day games that get over that. The biggest Sunday crowd for the SFS last year was 17k. All their other 20k+ crowds were on Friday.

guyver78

Juniors
You can still get tickets by the bunch to the Swans vs Collingwood game tomorrow night so they're not doing that great either.

BunniesMan

Immortal
It has been a miserable wet week and the rain will continue into the weekend. It's going to be ordinary crowds in Sydney for any public event and any code.

To get less than 20k for a gf rematch is a embarrassment. From a commercial pov teams such as manly and roosters shouldn't be near a gf or be successful considering the limited crowd numbers they draw in spite of success.

H.H

Juniors
To get less than 20k for a gf rematch is a embarrassment. From a commercial pov teams such as manly and roosters shouldn't be near a gf or be successful considering the limited crowd numbers they draw in spite of success.

Hang on, didn't we average almost 20k last year? Oh that's right, it was all the away fans our blockbuster games brought...:crazy:

I wonder when the myth of our crowds will disappear. I don't think any club cops it like we do....can't remember the last time we finished last in crowd averages.

Anyway, I'll be there tonight like I and many others always are. Yes the crowd will be affected by rain but the same would happen at any other club.

RWB

Bench

forum%20posting%20bot.png

LineBall

Juniors
I think it's essential in the next TV deal, that games should not be broadcast live into the host city unless sold out. On Friday night- the live game on TV in Sydney should be the Broncos Vs Dragons, with Eagles and Roosters on Delay. Get a team in Perth, and We can have a live Saturday night game in the Eastern States to watch as well.

RWB

Bench
I think it's essential in the next TV deal, that games should not be broadcast live into the host city unless sold out. On Friday night- the live game on TV in Sydney should be the Broncos Vs Dragons, with Eagles and Roosters on Delay. Get a team in Perth, and We can have a live Saturday night game in the Eastern States to watch as well.

Nah Rugby League is a TV game this is just something we need to accept. The large bulk of our revenue is from the TV deal, we can't compromise that.

I'll go the other way and say in the next deal its essential to have ALL games live.

betcats

Referee

What a great way to kill TV ratings.

League as a 'TV game' is a excuse to not show up to games. As the purpose of a spectator sport is to actually attend the game not watching it on TV.

firechild

First Grade

So premierships should be awarded to teams that have the largest crowds? The fact Manly were one of the only Sydney clubs to turn a profit last year and the fact they have been able to attract quality players and coaching staff for 50+ years should not even factor into the equation? Perhaps we should just stop playing games and hand the Donkeys the premiership trophy each year?

That's the entire point of the salary cap.

No you numpty, that's not the point AT ALL. The salary cap is to ensure that clubs do not get themselves into financial difficulty by paying players more than they can afford. It ensures the viability of the competition, creating a somewhat level playing field (offset by any number of external factors) is a positive bi-product.

guyver78

Juniors

They have that in the US, they call it a blackout and they don't show the game on the local sports network if the stadium doesn't sell out.

Something like that would and does work in America where they have a 1 team per state scenario but it just wouldn't work here in Sydney where 80% of the NRL is located. People that don't go to games still wouldn't go to the games and TV misses out so not happening anytime soon.

LineBall

Juniors
Nah Rugby League is a TV game this is just something we need to accept. The large bulk of our revenue is from the TV deal, we can't compromise that.

I'll go the other way and say in the next deal its essential to have ALL games live.

Sorry, I may not have explained myself well enough in the original post.

I too want all games to be live. I would like the NRL to be able to arrange the draw in a way that, essentially, there are two games being played at the same time, which can be both telecast live but to different regions.

Springs

First Grade
Hang on, didn't we average almost 20k last year? Oh that's right, it was all the away fans our blockbuster games brought...:crazy:

I wonder when the myth of our crowds will disappear. I don't think any club cops it like we do....can't remember the last time we finished last in crowd averages.

Anyway, I'll be there tonight like I and many others always are. Yes the crowd will be affected by rain but the same would happen at any other club.

No, it's the fact you got the opening game of the year against your arch rivals and also the biggest holiday match of the year.
Let's see what you get this year without those matches.

firechild

First Grade
League as a 'TV game' is a excuse to not show up to games. As the purpose of a spectator sport is to actually attend the game not watching it on TV.

People that watch on tv are still spectators. Why should people miss out on watching their teams play just because the weather is sh*thouse and the game finishes 2 hours after their kids are in bed? If the NRL wanted to promote attendances, they wouldn't have 6/8 games each week at night, half of which are on weeknights. The NRL couldn't give 2 shits about families.

H.H

Juniors
No, it's the fact you got the opening game of the year against your arch rivals and also the biggest holiday match of the year.
Let's see what you get this year without those matches.

Yeah well we probably wouldn't have won the comp if we didn't recruit Sonny, Maloney and Jennings...but we did...so we did.

Not sure of your point, but yes, let's see where we end up this year.

guyver78

Juniors
People that watch on tv are still spectators. Why should people miss out on watching their teams play just because the weather is sh*thouse and the game finishes 2 hours after their kids are in bed? If the NRL wanted to promote attendances, they wouldn't have 6/8 games each week at night, half of which are on weeknights. The NRL couldn't give 2 shits about families.

Well said. As long as the TV money keeps on coming in then the NRL survives. Large game attendances are just a bonus on top of that and not something the NRL directors lose too much sleep over.

Status
Not open for further replies.