What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
People that watch on tv are still spectators. Why should people miss out on watching their teams play just because the weather is sh*thouse and the game finishes 2 hours after their kids are in bed? If the NRL wanted to promote attendances, they wouldn't have 6/8 games each week at night, half of which are on weeknights. The NRL couldn't give 2 shits about families.

Agreed.

No, it's the fact you got the opening game of the year against your arch rivals and also the biggest holiday match of the year.
Let's see what you get this year without those matches.

What 2 home games, with attendances of 35,952 and 40,752 had that big an influence on home crows in 12 gmaes? I don't think so. Let's look at the Roosters home attenmdances in 2013:

Round 1 v Souths - 35,952.
Round 3 v Brisbane - 13,047.
Round 4 v Parramatta - 18,014.
Round 6 v Canterbury - 22,552.
Round 7 v St George-Illawarra - 40,752.
Round 8 v Penrith - 11,176.
Round 11 v Melbourne - 19,164.
Round 14 v New Zealand - 11,040.
Round 16 v Manly - 16,246.
Round 19 v Cronulla - 13,706.
Round 22 v Canberra - 13,223.
Round 25 v Gold Coast - 17,542.

If you want to talk about low attendances, at least those beat the 5,288 that turned up at Leichhardt Oval in Round 16 to watch the Tigers v Melbourne, or in the same round the 6,271 who turned up at Penrith to watch Penrith v St George.Those 2 games had the lowest crowds in 2013.

Last edited:

papabear

Juniors
excellent weather today, beautiful day for footy, would be pretty sad if easts can't even beat the figure they posted last year against manly.

Springs

First Grade
Yeah well we probably wouldn't have won the comp if we didn't recruit Sonny, Maloney and Jennings...but we did...so we did.

Not sure of your point, but yes, let's see where we end up this year.

It was a pretty clear point. The reason you averaged nearly 20k is because you hosted 2 of the highest-drawing matches of the year. Your crowds are average without them. No other Sydney team got a huge rivalry to open the season nor did they get an ANZAC Day match.

What 2 home games, with attendances of 35,952 and 40,752 had that big an influence on home crows in 12 gmaes? I don't think so. Let's look at the Roosters home attenmdances in 2013:

Yes, their crowds without those matches averaged 15.5k. So average. In a year that they won the comp.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The NRL seems to be failing miserably in its 20k avg goal by 2017. I hope they have some wow initiatives next year.

I see they have already started to put the focus on SOO already this week, that'll help keep interest in the rounds!

BunniesMan

Immortal
Origin should be played in the 3 Friday nights following grand final week. I guarantee it would be a lot easier to hit our 20k average targets with my plan.

20k average would be easy if fans were as loyal and gorgeous as Eels fans,geez other fans are a disgrace.

I read this stuff all over LU.

f**k it makes me chuckle.

Tempted to buy a ticket to the next game. Don't know if I'll actually attend, but at least they'll get my twenty bucks.

guyver78

Juniors
Origin should be played in the 3 Friday nights following grand final week. I guarantee it would be a lot easier to hit our 20k average targets with my plan.

Also if they actually respected/saved our athletes more by only playing 18-20 games crowds would go up right away. 26 rounds of rugby league week in, week out is killing our athletes and forcing them to retire at 30.

If you live in Sydney and support Souths for instance, what's there to get excited about this week's Canberra game? When you can easily attend another 15-20 games. There's very little meaning in a lot of these club games when you play for 26 weeks.

pHyR3

Juniors
Also if they actually respected/saved our athletes more by only playing 18-20 games crowds would go up right away. 26 rounds of rugby league week in, week out is killing our athletes and forcing them to retire at 30.

If you live in Sydney and support Souths for instance, what's there to get excited about this week's Canberra game? When you can easily attend another 15-20 games. There's very little meaning in a lot of these club games when you play for 26 weeks.

agreed, the season has to be cut down. i've proposed this idea a few times but i'll quickly recap.

exand to 18 teams, with plans for 20 by around 2020-2025. Either go for 19 rounds now, or 17 and expand to 19 when the extra 2 teams come in (probs NZ II and one other like Melb II, Fiji, PNG).

5 week break midseason, no NRL. Just rep games. NZ vs Engl, PNG, Fiji, Tonga, France. Also U20s, U18s, U16 Origin. Maybe junior kangaroos vs junior kiwis as well. Basically every international team. Not all have to be in Aus, some can be over in europe. And obviously SOO in this time too.

this way the lull in crowds is removed, and instead a mini break has time to great interest and hype in the final run for the top 8/4 and minor premiership.

Last edited:
The NRL seems to be failing miserably in its 20k avg goal by 2017. I hope they have some wow initiatives next year.

I see they have already started to put the focus on SOO already this week, that'll help keep interest in the rounds!
:crazy::crazy::crazy:
Is it 2017 now you idiot?.

Judge what Smith said after the 2017 season ,
NOT 3 months after he made the statemant.

georgesnmith

Juniors
:crazy::crazy::crazy:
Is it 2017 now you idiot?.

Judge what Smith said after the 2017 season ,
NOT 3 months after he made the statemant.

smith also said recently that league would be the biggest sport in 2017

so perth red is probably disappointed with the game's progress there as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts