What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch Mk 3

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well done storm fans. Nearly as many there as there will be dogs or souths fans tomorrow night.

azza29

Juniors
Well done storm fans. Nearly as many there as there will be dogs or souths fans tomorrow night.

25k at AAMI and atmosphere was better than a packed MCG on ANZAC Day. Absolutely electric tonight. Manly areas looked a bit sparse but well done to those who made the effort - not easy to organise an away trip on a Friday, especially at a week's notice.

And Storm memberships are on sale as of today, glad to see them on the ball with this.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Just a final note on the Swans crowd, something that hasn't been mentioned would be the number of South Melbourne members/fans that would have probably made the trip up to Sydney whereas the majority of them wouldn't get to your average Swans game during the year. I'd estimate the number of Sydney based Swans fans at the game to be in the vicinity of 30k going on previous games there and Sydney v. GWS at the beginnning of the year.

Last edited:

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
25k at AAMI and atmosphere was better than a packed MCG on ANZAC Day. Absolutely electric tonight. Manly areas looked a bit sparse but well done to those who made the effort - not easy to organise an away trip on a Friday, especially at a week's notice.

And Storm memberships are on sale as of today, glad to see them on the ball with this.

I agree. It's the best league viewing stadium that I've been to - and I've been to just about all of them in Australia.

beave

Coach
The roof design would lend itself to amazing crowd noise when packed. I've been there once and was thoroughly impressed at the joint but the crowd that night (storm cows 2010) was knly 10k but it was still very loud as each try was piled on us.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
That crowd last night was insane, one of the best atmospheres I've experienced in some time. The Melbourne fans should be proud of what they generated for their club last night.

I sat near the 'cheer squad', a number of young fellas who had drums and flags and all the other carry on. They didn't stop singing the whole game and created a near soccer-like feel in the atmosphere.

I took an ozzie rules supporter and he was floored by how good it was, saying 'they never sing like this at the AFL' and 'it's like a bloody colosseum in here'.

There's no doubt that AAMI Park is the model for any future stadiums in Sydney. You guys there really need something like that in the West.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Eels/Dragons got 45863..

36 more than the Swans/Coll game.

The weirdest thing is this Cumberland Throw character is supposed to be an eels supporter based on his avatar.

Not one RL person would deny that Collingwood are a very well supported team. They are probably the most well supported sporting side in Australia. The facts are they have obviously inflated the Swans crowds last night and AFL in Sydney is actually heading backwards despite the Swans on field successes. As Timmah pointed out they pulled more only a few years ago against a vastly less fashionable club.

Would it be so far out there to suggest that Collingwood are just as supported in Sydney as the Swans are ?

There is no doubt which sport is king in Sydney.

ouwet

Bench
52% now Bulldogs... 48% South Sydney! There sales have practically stopped since wednesday!! If we're to hit 70,000 it'll have to be on the back of Bulldog supporters today, all 29,786 South Sydney supporters have bought tickets already:D

Bluebags1908

Juniors

Hello? What planet are you living on. They play the game at AAMI Park which for a Preliminary Final has a tiny capacity of 30,000 and yet there was still empty seats.

Well done to the Storm fans that went, but that crowd figure is not good enough for a self-proclaimed 'sporting capital of Australia' with a team as dominant as the Storm have been should't have a single empty seat in such a small stadium.

BUT - the Melbourne fans are not totally at fault here: I also blame the NRL. The lesson learnt here is that the NRL has erred in not playing this game at Etihad. Playing the match at such a small stadium does not give the match a 'special event' type feel that this match demanded. In 2007 the Storm played Parramatta on AFL grand final night and got 33,000 - 8,000 more than last night. How much more do you think they might have got at Etihad last night with no AFL competition? The NRL has gone backwards since 2007 and has no faith in it's own product. You aim low and you get a low result. Had of they had the balls and played it at Etihad they might have enouraged more casual sports fans to go for the 'big event' ticket and they might have got 35,000. Whilst this is nowhere near capacity I would rather play in a bigger stadium and two thirds capacity for a larger crowd than at a small stadium which encourages no-one other than core Storm fans and gets 4,500 empty seats.

The only thing going for AAMI Park over Etihad is that it is a rectangular stadium. Last night's match should have been at Eithad for the same reason that they played State Of Origin 1 there instead of at AAMI Park. Or for the same reason the Warriors would play a Preliminary Final at Eden Park instead of Mount Smart.

Last edited:

Raiderdave

First Grade
sorry but as of today no nrl club game in sydney has surpassed 44k

swans v coll got 45k and 57k

but we will top it tomorrow and the gf

last round NRL at ANZ 45,863 .. biggest club crowd of the year in Sydney for all codes
last night was not a club game it was a finals game :sarcasm:

FMD :roll:

Perth Red

Post Whore
The planet where 25k storm fans turned out for the game. There will be around 30k souths fans and 30k dogs fans tonight. For a team in afl heartland that is less than twenty years old it is a good sign that they have nearly as many paying fans as two well established teams in rl heartland.

Playing at etihad may have attracted a few more neutrals but aami is a far superior stadium for rl and 25k in aami is a far better look and atmosphere than 30k on etihad IMO.

andrew057

First Grade
The planet where 25k storm fans turned out for the game. There will be around 30k souths fans and 30k dogs fans tonight. For a team in afl heartland that is less than twenty years old it is a good sign that they have nearly as many paying fans as two well established teams in rl heartland.

Playing at etihad may have attracted a few more neutrals but aami is a far superior stadium for rl and 25k in aami is a far better look and atmosphere than 30k on etihad IMO.

Agreed.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Yes the storm are moving along nicely. Certainly ahead of where the swans were in year 12 and certainly all over where gws will be. I know some supporters get frustrated by the nrls conservative nature with expansion but its done things right.

the dude

Juniors
If 62,000 are sold I'd be very surprised if the crowd is any less than 66 or 67k.

I think we will just fall short of 70k... 68,500

Big Sam

First Grade
52% now Bulldogs... 48% South Sydney! There sales have practically stopped since wednesday!! If we're to hit 70,000 it'll have to be on the back of Bulldog supporters today, all 29,786 South Sydney supporters have bought tickets already:D

Source?

When it was at 60k towards the end of Thursday, the split was officially 53/47 to us. For it to now be 52/48 to the Dogs, it has to be around the high 60k mark. Either that or your comment is bullshit.

Moffo

Referee
I was at the swans game last night and 57k created a great atmosphere. Pumped to be going tonight as well! Should be awesome with a few more seats filled up

Latest posts