What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch Mk 3

Bluebags1908

Juniors
The planet where 25k storm fans turned out for the game. There will be around 30k souths fans and 30k dogs fans tonight. For a team in afl heartland that is less than twenty years old it is a good sign that they have nearly as many paying fans as two well established teams in rl heartland.

Playing at etihad may have attracted a few more neutrals but aami is a far superior stadium for rl and 25k in aami is a far better look and atmosphere than 30k on etihad IMO.

I agree that AAMI would have a far better atmosphere being rectangular, and that is one thing it has going for it. But it is simply too small for a Preliminary Final. No problem playing there in week 1 or 2 of the semis.

The point I'm making is that 6 years ago the NRL got 33,000 at Etihad on AFL grand final night yet 6 years later we get 8,000 less with no AFL game on. That's what happens when you aim low and don't have the balls to take your product to a big stage.

The Storm playing at AAMI last night instead of Etihad would have been akin to the Swans playing at reduced-capacity SCG for last night's final instead of ANZ. The Swans got 57,000 at ANZ last night. I'd like to see the Storm get 57,000 at Eithad or the MCG for a Preliminary Final.

And my point remains - Melbourne couldn't even fill the small stadium last night. There was 4,500 empty seats which is disappointing and incomprehensible to say the least. A lot more would casual fans have went to Etihad because it would have been an 'event'. Although fair enough the atmosphere sounded great at AAMI. SOO 1 was at Eithad and for good reasons because it was an 'event' and so should have the game last night.

And Perth Red your anti-Sydney stabbing slant in many of your posts are becoming boring and tiresome.

Last edited:

Raiderdave

First Grade
I agree that AAMI would have a far better atmosphere being rectangular, and that is one thing it has going for it. But it is simply too small for a Preliminary Final. No problem playing there in week 1 or 2 of the semis.

The point I'm making is that 6 years ago the NRL got 33,000 at Etihad on AFL grand final night yet 6 years later we get 8,000 less with no AFL game on. That's what happens when you aim low and don't have the balls to take your product to a big stage.

The Storm playing at AAMI last night instead of Etihad would have been akin to the Swans playing at reduced-capacity SCG for last night's final instead of ANZ. The Swans got 57,000 at ANZ last night. I'd like to see the Storm get 57,000 at Eithad or the MCG for a Preliminary Final.

And my point remains - Melbourne couldn't even fill the small stadium last night. There was 4,500 empty seats which is disappointing and incomprehensible to say the least. A lot more would casual fans have went to Etihad because it would have been an 'event'. Although fair enough the atmosphere sounded great at AAMI. SOO 1 was at Eithad and for good reasons because it was an 'event' and so should have the game last night.

And Perth Red your anti-Sydney stabbing slant in many of your posts are becoming boring and tiresome.

Manly fans wouldn't have filled brookvale with their effort last week buddy
a bit of perspective please

FMD :roll:

Valheru

Coach
ah ...... western top deck empty .. they really tried to keep the cameras away from showing it
large banks of empty seats all ova the rest of the joint
I said mid 50's only... after having a good look at it after the NRL was over
woeful crowd considering all the hype ..... 20K collingwood fans there meant not even 40K Sydneysiders bothered turning up

Except there wasn’t 20k Collingwood fans. I know that was the number being touted during the week but it was nowhere near it, closer to 10k IMO.

Perhaps they assumed anybody buying tickets in the Collingwood section had to be a fan?

Anyways, the AFL would be disappointed with that crowd and the NRL should easily beat it. My only concern about the NRL crowd is this expectation of walk ups. The AFL obviously didn’t get any and with a big crowd expected I can’t see many people no pre-booking.

belmore eel

Juniors
52% now Bulldogs... 48% South Sydney! There sales have practically stopped since wednesday!! If we're to hit 70,000 it'll have to be on the back of Bulldog supporters today, all 29,786 South Sydney supporters have bought tickets already:D

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
How could they possibly know the percentages? It's not as if they ask everyone who buys a ticket who they're supporting.

It's going to be 50/50.

People will come back from the game and say there will be more of one team and they will form that opinion based on where they were sitting and which teams fans cheer more.

Moffo

Referee
How could they possibly know the percentages? It's not as if they ask everyone who buys a ticket who they're supporting.

It's going to be 50/50.

People will come back from the game and say there will be more of one team and they will form that opinion based on where they were sitting and which teams fans cheer more.

They do ask when you bi a ticket

BranVan3000

Coach
It was 52/48 to the Rabbitohs at 62k, you'd assume a massive swing back to the dogs would put it near or over 70k unless the Rabbitohs sold zero

Gonna be a great crowd :)

How do they figure what team you are going for in general admission and ANZ reserved setting?

dgsfan

Juniors
With 62K sold at 52% Rabbits (32,240) 48% Dogs (29,760) we can work out the minimum amount sold with the new percentages. You have to assume the Rabbits have sold no more tickets. So...

48% Rabbits at 32,240 would equal 52% Dogs at 35,035.

So minimum 67,375 sold.

azza29

Juniors

SOO 1 was at Etihad because AAMI is too small for an Origin game. The Storm have played all their home games at AAMI this year, great ground with a great atmosphere. It would have been unfair to the team and their supporters to move the prelim to Etihad just to potentially secure a few extra bums on seats.

The reason we didn't hit 30k is because the NRL suddenly decided that the corner seats are worth $60 and nobody was dumb enough to pay that much. Also of the 4k empties it looked like 2k were in the Manly section so clearly the away team was over-allocated.

I don't agree that the NRL was aiming low by choosing AAMI over Etihad, it was the right venue and the atmosphere was the best of any game I've ever been to. This wouldn't have been achieved with 20k empty seats at Etihad, most of them too far from the field.

applesauce

Bench

Selective memory? It is AFL grand final DAY and the NRL ran a promotion that you could get half price tickets to the Ethihad game if you showed your AFL GF ticket when you got NRL tickets at the gate.

I would prefer to get people to AAMI and show AFL fans how good RL looks in a world class stadium than an oval with a low gradient. Even if it means 8k less.

ouwet

Bench
Guys at 12.30 today latest PAX was 69,950 odd... I bought a mate 2 Tickets from dogs shop bankstown! It was full with people buying tickets n merchandise.

the dude

Juniors
Guys at 12.30 today latest PAX was 69,950 odd... I bought a mate 2 Tickets from dogs shop bankstown! It was full with people buying tickets n merchandise.

Wow. If that figure is correct, looks like a 75k crowd. Great weather today definitely doesn't hurt