What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch Thread 2009

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Concord Oval isn't up to scratch to host NRL games - doesn't even have a video screen. It can supposedly hold 20k but I doubt whether it would support that many on a match day.

I wouldn't mind

5x LO (Bring Tigers vs Souths back here, it always drew a HUGE crowd for such a small ground)
5x CS
2x SFS/ANZ (bumper clashes, Bulldogs, Dragons etc)

Concord Oval isn't up to scratch to host NRL games - doesn't even have a video screen. It can supposedly hold 20k but I doubt whether it would support that many on a match day.

Lots of grounds don't have video screens. Many of the grounds either:

(a) Have frames to support temporary screens (Kogarah Oval for instance) or
(b) Get a big screen on the back of a truck for the game (Wollongong, Mt Smart)

Red Bear

Referee
I would hazard a guess that crowds wouldnt be so good at Leichhardt/CS if it was 5 or 6 at each, having 3 at each a year is a masterstroke really as it ensures large crowds each time, especially sunday arvo, whilst the Tigs also make their cash from previously ANZ and this season SFS

Timmah

Staff member
I still maintain the SFS is a stroke of f**king idiocy from WT management - they're the Wests Tigers, why are they playing EAST of the city FFS?

Interesting test of support in Canberra on Sunday. The Raiders/Tigers game at Canberra Stadium is on against the Sydney/Melbourne AFL game at Manuka Oval.

Both games feature teams travelling similarly (mediocre) in this year's competitions - who would be disappointing most of their fans.

Manuka holds about 13k, and looking through the attendance records, AFL games there have been getting usually about 11.5-12.5k. Raiders average crowds at home this year have been just over 10k (average over last few years has been pretty close to what the AFL gets at Manuka).

ill be at the raiders.

its a cheap day out.

bus from local sports club. free.

tickets - nrl junior official pass. free

bus back. free.

means i can spend more on vb in a plastic cup!

chrisc101

Juniors
I still maintain the SFS is a stroke of f**king idiocy from WT management - they're the Wests Tigers, why are they playing EAST of the city FFS?

do we really have to answer this.....well ok...

1) SFS is the best large foot stadium in Sydney and conversly ANZ is the worse
2) SFS offered the Tigers a superior deal
3) SFS is closer to Balmain than ANZ stadium.

need I continue?

ouwet

Bench

need I continue?

Last time i checked it's not the Balmain Tiger's and IF it is closer (Which i have doubts over) it's not by more then a few minutes in a car...

Timmah

Staff member
I challenge you to get to SFS faster than ANZ from Balmain during peak hour :lol:

Timmah

Staff member

need I continue?
Regardless of whether the SFS is the best large football stadium in Sydney, it's nowhere near being in Tigers territory. ANZ is at least between Campbelltown and Leichhardt. SFS is an especially raw deal for Magpies/Campbo based Tigers fans too. You do realise ANZ is less than 5k's from the Tigers actual home at Concord Oval?

Godz Illa

Coach
I challenge you to get to SFS faster than ANZ from Balmain during peak hour :lol:
How much is the bet? SFS would be eons quicker. Anzac Bridge, cross city tunnel, eastern distributor. You'd barely see any traffic lights. I'd be applying sauce to the hot dog while you'd be applying the brakes at Haberfield

Timmah

Staff member
There are enough traffic lights on City West Link/Vic Road to slow you down, that area is an absolute crawl during nighttime peak.

Timmah

Staff member
Depends where you're coming from I guess, I find it the most accessible ground in the NRL tbh.

chrisc101

Juniors
Last time i checked it's not the Balmain Tiger's and IF it is closer (Which i have doubts over) it's not by more then a few minutes in a car...

I'm not turning this into a Wests v Balmain thing, nothing to do with it. Bottom line is for Cambelltown based Wests supporters ANZ v SFS is a long way irrespective.

As for your doubts, go on Google Earth and check it out, almost half the distance.

Red Bear

Referee
Regardless of whether the SFS is the best large football stadium in Sydney, it's nowhere near being in Tigers territory. ANZ is at least between Campbelltown and Leichhardt. SFS is an especially raw deal for Magpies/Campbo based Tigers fans too. You do realise ANZ is less than 5k's from the Tigers actual home at Concord Oval?
By the same token ANZ stadium is nowhere near being in Souths territory, yet Souths play at the sh*theap known as ANZ

Timmah

Staff member
Again totally agree. We've got the Wests Tigers playing in the Eastern Suburbs, the Souths Rabbitohs playing in the Inner West. Next we'll see the Roosters move home games to Penrith, and Manly swap beaches with Cronulla :sarcasm:

Latest posts