What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Current State of the NRL

Dezziedc

Juniors
http://www.theroar.com.au/2014/03/11/dear-nrl-this-is-why-the-fans-are-walking-away/

Round 1 of the 2014 NRL season is now complete and the rugby league community is in uproar over the embarrassingly low attendance figures for its season’s opening round and the perceived lack of interest in the game. That much is clear.

What isn’t clear to some, however, is that the NRL only has itself to blame. Not the players. Not the commentators.

Those in the NRL with the power to change things. They are responsible for this.

Certain parties among the media must hold a lesser portion of the blame also.

The crowd attendance at this season’s opening NRL games made the brand look like a bush league. It was a truly pathetic sight. So naturally, the excuses followed. It was a Thursday night and people had work the next morning. It was the weather. Really? Go tell that to the 50,000 screaming Poms who attend a Wednesday night Chelsea game in the pouring rain on a regular basis.

The low attendance was due to one reason; the paying public are simply not buying what the NRL is currently selling. The A-League (and overall interest in what we Australians call ‘soccer’) is growing stronger every year. Manchester United and Liverpool both made trips Down Under recently to great fanfare. Italian giants Juventus and English heavyweights Manchester City will arrive in a few months.

The AFL continues to draw consistently large crowds.

Meanwhile, the NRL lumbers on, complaining about low attendance season after season without doing anything significant to attempt rectify it. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting difference results. A wise saying, and one the NRL needs to hear.

So how does the NRL attempt rectify this situation? The game clearly needs a makeover. It needs to modernise the way in which it presents itself, without alienating its core audience.
Where to begin?

There is more to this article but it goes on for a while and rather than crit you all for over 9000 with a wall of text, I thought I'd leave it there and let you guys read it and comment.

What are your thoughts on this given the Dragons moving some games to larger stadiums? Also, what about some of the suggestions about the clubs doing more at the games? Some of the suggestions are fair enough I think. But not sure how alot of the Sydney clubs would cope with some of the suggested changes.

For me I think there are options to move some of the teams out of Sydney to other locations etc. But that raises other issues with fan base and support. If Sharks moved to become another QLD team or NZ team, would those sharks fans based in Sydney leave the game altogether? Continue to support the team but only attend the few games they played in Sydney? Turn to support one of the remaining teams in Sydney?

Obviously Sharks is just an example but it raises some questions about how to improve numbers at games.

I know when the Bulldogs play up here in Mackay we get the stadium packed. It doesn't hold a whole heap of people but having a team based up here would ultimately generate numbers pretty consistently. Would even possibly promote stadium expansion. It's an unknown but maybe worth some thought.

Not sure we need more teams though...

Thoughts?

grouch

First Grade
More soccer dross. Attendances were down but overwhelmingly more people are watching NRL on tv - by a factor of 3 or 4 to one - than soccer. A

TruSaint

Referee
From the same publication... related to us, just a few paragraphs with link.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2014/03/1...mpty-stadium-nrl-must-move-back-to-the-burbs/

Sunday’s game between the St George Illawarra Dragons and the Wests Tigers has reinforced the stupidity of rugby league’s governing body and their inability to allocate fixtures to benefit the fans and even themselves.

The match was played at ANZ Stadium with less than a quarter of the seating being taken up. This provided a dour atmosphere for the these two clubs’ first premiership match of the season.
The ridiculous part about the whole thing is that it was a Dragons home game – that’s right, even though the Dragons have two stadiums in Kogarah Oval and WinStadium, the NRL still insisted on the game being played at the biggest stadium in New South Wales.
It just does not make sense! The NRL should have known this game wasn’t going to be a ‘blockbuster’ match-up, the two teams came second and third last in 2013 and the crowd of 19,860 was testament to that.

The thing is though, 20,000 fans would provide a cracking vibe at Kogarah or Win and if the game was played at one of those two venues, the extra two or three thousand would probably show up to pack out the place.
The Dragons have three more ‘home games’ in Sydney this year, including a game at the SCG against the Rabbitohs for the heritage round, a game against the Roosters at their home ground of Allianz Stadium on ANZAC Day and then a clash with the Bulldogs at ANZ Stadium, where the Dogs play most of their home games.

Effectively, the Dragons only get eight home games this season, which seems unfair on the team and the fans.

Channel Nine commentator Phil Gould commented on the poor crowd at the game and how “fans should follow their club wherever they play.”

Gus, you don’t get it, the Red V army do not get free tickets like you do.

When you take into account the soaring cost of going to the match, the extra three or four hours of travel makes it a struggle.

pinkmoon

Juniors
Personally, I think the reason for low interest is the NRL alienating it's original core audience and pandering to the media and mothers who are trying to clean up the game.

Bring back the shoulder charge, scrap the 10 in the bin for fighting, and stop changing the rules every season. The scrutiny surrounding how the game is to be adjudicated is getting a bit long in the tooth. Just play the game, forget about trying to market it as a family sport, and stop trying to grow the game artificially. If it grows, then great, but it's done OK since 1908 at the size it is now.

tumbidragon

First Grade
What grouch said. It's a bit rich coming from a soca apologist roar... Considering the A-league hides itself in the off season.
But the NRL have definitely dropped the ball in Rnd1 imo. Very poor matchups. Should see a much improved attendance this week with Broncs, Knights and Warriors all getting their 1st home game.

twinkletoes

Juniors
Just as an example....Why would you start a Thursday night match at 8.00pm when kids and families have a school/ work day the next day. You don't get home till well after 11.00pm...far too late for most kids to go to the match

Willow

Assistant Moderator
To put the article in perspective, the publication is run by rugby union and soccer supporters. They started off bagging out on Rugby League but have tried to be more subtle in recent times.

Godz Illa

Coach
I find the game day experience at NRL games to be, in a word, awful. Apart from the game itself there is precious little drawing people away from the couch and into a ground. They have a better view at home, better seats, no need to put up with traffic or transport, it's cheaper, they have expert commentary and umpteen HD replays, constant awareness of what is happening etc etc. The equation isn't even close. The clubs, and the NRL, need to do something to at least make the equation a bit closer. The game itself is just not enough these days. People need more than just a winning team, or the idea of faithfully supporting their club. It needs to be an attractive place to be.
At one of the final WIN Gong games last year Saints had a little swing jazz band doing laps of the ground and it was brilliant. Just that little addition brought an element of fun to the night. Not even sure if we won the game.

bottle

Coach
The Roar is tripe.
Same 'publication' just recently ran a shit story about Ben Creagh.
It's very difficult to get decent sports journalism that wants to focus on the salient issues and primarily discuss the football.
Telucrap is the main source for the great unwashed and it is utter, utter filth run by an alcho with a massive (shifting with the wind) agenda.
As already mentioned, the game is still leagues ahead (pun intended) of it's rivals in TV land. Unsurprising given the quality of the product for consumption via that medium. If we could secure a deal that ditched the inbred mentality that is Nein, get decent FTA coverage, and maybe a dedicated RL channel on FOX, but preferably a FTA digital, it would be a watershed moment for the growth of the popularity of the game.
The live experience will always be compromised a bit because of the incredibly beautiful TV vision the game provides. However it can be fixed with some smart marketing, planning and development.
Homebush for a start needs major work done and a revisit of the strategy there to let it be all that it can.
If they give me a budget of several billions I could fix it for them. And I would only require a 1% commission on gross expenditure. Too easy.

Dezziedc

Juniors
But what does it being a great sport to be viewed on TV provide? Wouldn't it be better from a club perspective to see more supporters at the game?

woodley_11

Juniors
Low crowd numbers have nothing to do with the product at all, this is reflected in the TV ratings which are strong. I might be on my own, but I blame the fans rather than the NRL. The NRL is doing what it has to do as a business by taking games to ANZ, and you can get tickets fairly cheaply (although it is true food and merchandise are a rip-off). Our crowd numbers at Kogarah and Wollongong are also low.

In my opinion, NRL fans for the most part are not passionate enough. Almost every person I have met in Sydney 'follows' a rugby league team, but their 'following' is limited to watching on tv and maybe going to a few games when their team is going well. There is a culture in the NRL that you can claim to love a team without being a member or at least attending games whereas you would be called a 'band-wagoner' in other sports.

The article talks about football, which is an unfair comparison because the market in Sydney is much less saturated in terms of local teams. However, as well as a red V member I am also a Wanderers member and the culture of match attendance is completely different in the A-League. They obviously have less fans but I'm sure would have a much higher percentage of fans converted to members/regular attendees. It would be even more so had Wanderers not sold out of memberships due to capacity at Parra Stadium.

Twenty10

Juniors
I find the game day experience at NRL games to be, in a word, awful. Apart from the game itself there is precious little drawing people away from the couch and into a ground. They have a better view at home, better seats, no need to put up with traffic or transport, it's cheaper, they have expert commentary and umpteen HD replays, constant awareness of what is happening etc etc. The equation isn't even close. The clubs, and the NRL, need to do something to at least make the equation a bit closer. The game itself is just not enough these days. People need more than just a winning team, or the idea of faithfully supporting their club. It needs to be an attractive place to be.
At one of the final WIN Gong games last year Saints had a little swing jazz band doing laps of the ground and it was brilliant. Just that little addition brought an element of fun to the night. Not even sure if we won the game.

Can be said about all sports mate. All of them.

giboz71

First Grade
Understand that great TV coverage makes it less attractive to watch games in person... It's certainly why I only attend a few games a year.

But how do you explain the AFL? They probably have superior TV coverage with a dedicated channel on Fox. Yet they still manage to draw crowds.

It's all about the occasion IMHO. Collingwood vs Carlton in the AFL, the Sydney Derby in the A-League. These are just big events that people want to say they have attended. Just look through social media... Had a heap of mates tag themselves at the Sydney Derby and most aren't even mad soccer fans.

The NRL just doesn't have that appeal for club games... Not really sure what the solution is?

Godz Illa

Coach
Can be said about all sports mate. All of them.

Not really. People attend A-League games because it provides something watching on tv doesn't. Let's face it- the game itself is below average. No one is interested in watching it on tv. But they get good crowds because people want 'the atmosphere'.

Same applies to the NBL (the true rival to A-League btw). I quite enjoy heading to Kings games but I would never watch it on tv.

Redvpassion

Juniors
Might be slightly off topic, but for 2 bottles of water and 3 hot chips packets cost me $27. Don't know how They justify these prices but can the nrl do something about that or is the " home team" club that has a say? I know one thing for sure, it ain't cheap and that one footy day out with the family can be a very expensive day out with the kids. Next time I'll be packing that esky full.

Last edited:

TruSaint

Referee
If you are talking about the level of soccer (football) being below average, i get it.

But it seems to me that soccer fans go to the games for more than just atmosphere.
The ones I know, love the game, and lets face it, its global.

I dont follow the local comp, nor do I go the A league games, but to disregard the attendances is naive.

The argument will be... where is the money? TV rights. Yes, but if momentum continues, the NRL will suffer some loss.

We have a limited population base being challenged by many codes. AFL / A league / Union etc.

As a code, we cant keep relying on high TV ratings forever. In fact, those ratings, backed by high level sponsors, will diminish if we are not careful.

bottle

Coach
Understand that great TV coverage makes it less attractive to watch games in person... It's certainly why I only attend a few games a year.

But how do you explain the AFL? They probably have superior TV coverage with a dedicated channel on Fox. Yet they still manage to draw crowds.

It's all about the occasion IMHO. Collingwood vs Carlton in the AFL, the Sydney Derby in the A-League. These are just big events that people want to say they have attended. Just look through social media... Had a heap of mates tag themselves at the Sydney Derby and most aren't even mad soccer fans.

The NRL just doesn't have that appeal for club games... Not really sure what the solution is?

I don't watch the AFL so I don't know the game, but I have heard commentators say that it is a better spectacle live rather than on TV because you need the whole of ground experience which TV coverage can't provide. There is a lot of off ball action and positioning that a singular piece of Tv vision can't capture.

For mine, it's because it's main home state is Victoria. What else is there to do?:sarcasm:;-)

RL on the other hand is tailor made for TV. The focus is in the ruck and the ball in the main. A more restricted field size with the player action being linear and directly opposite each other means it is easier for a TV viewer to watch the whole of game than in the AFL.

Take that for what it is worth.

TheRev

First Grade
o I love that administrators listen to fans and experiment with rules to improve the product, some really good changes have come about.. #goldentrythx

o I dont like the family-friendly changes, I love watching some Biff and the Shoulder Charges, as Non-PC as it is... but I dont see how the NRL can backtrack on those decisions now (even if they wanted to), its one thing to turn a blind-eye and its another to actively reintroduce those parts of the game.

o I think they need to include TV numbers in the discussion, because as mentioned above, watching league on TV (esp with lower grades if they are on) is 1000x easier than going to grounds, league is a great TV sport.. and and you cant ignore the Foxtel/9 TV deals in terms of income to the NRL, I suspect its infinitely more than money raised by bums on seats? Esp if you factor in money to maintain/run the grounds