What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daniel Anderson

Iafeta

Referee
Osborne was on the radio this morning and said that he took a team that was favourite for premiers to 12th place. I'm glad the Warriors didn't follow that example and kept Ivan Cleary on who was nominated the following season for coach of the year. As far as being favourite for premiers, they were favourites because of the great run Anderson guided them on towards the end of 2009 into the Grand Final!! So if you follow that logic, according to Osborne, he deserved the bullet because he upped expectations due to his own coaching first year.

There was a post in here that said they missed Kevin Kingston. I agree. IMO, Parra had a bunch of nuffies (particularly once Mortimer hit second year blues) in and around the halves. Kris Keating is a good ball runner and a nice stepper, but between them (Robson, K Keating, M Keating and Mortimer) they don't yet know how to guide a team around. Some of the kicking and organisation was aimless, and the last play execution to put players over for tries was lacking. Anderson knew it, that's why he was so keen on Quade Cooper and practically any half on the market got linked to the Eels.

Panic decision. Poor decision.

Iafeta

Referee
They only even made the finals because Hayne was in all-time form. If they lose one early game on that run they probably finish bottom 4. Then he comes into a new season without any tweaks to the offence becaue he thinks they can do it over all again but teams were never going to give Hayne the same space or let them get away with offloads. The exact same thing happened at the Warriors i.e. the warriors got some succes becasue they offloaded at will but within a year or 2 teams had learnt how to shut it down and "Brains" Anderson didnt have the nous to adjust.

I don't agree with that summation of what happened at the Warriors. IMO, two things derailed the Warriors. Injuries to Stacey Jones', he lost the blistering speed off the mark, and Ali Lauitiiti with the arm injury, and PJ Marsh with a shocking neck injury... there's their three top attacking components hit hard... and an outrageous fitness regime in the post season of 2003. Anderson didn't just have one good year there. He took a club that had never reached the finals to three finals series in his first three years.

He's a very good technical coach. I'm sure he needs some assistance to manage players in terms of their attitudes and emotions, but I would hope that he'd get support throughout the club to do that.

proto

Juniors
Im a big Anderson supporter, but the whole point the board has put forward as not extending his contact past next year does make sense to get rid of him now & pick up Kearney.

Souths will be kicking themselves when we sign him for holding onto Lang, at least as their head coach.

Avenger

Immortal
Some of the kicking and organisation was aimless, and the last play execution to put players over for tries was lacking. Anderson knew it, that's why he was so keen on Quade Cooper and practically any half on the market got linked to the Eels.

By his own admission he was not involved in the QC saga. Spagnolo and Osborne did it in lieu of Anderson.

veintitres

Juniors
Iafeta sums this up perfectly, "panic decision, poor decision". Spot on. Anderson isn't the problem at Parramatta. I am sure he is the first to put up his hand to say he does share blame for a season that saw them underachieve, though hell no is he alone.

Loudstrat

Coach
So Iafita, if Parra missed the finals last year, Ando would still be coach? You reckon suddenly the board thought "Gee, we really CAN make the finals???" as though they had no idea before hand?

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Osborne was on the radio this morning and said that he took a team that was favourite for premiers to 12th place. I'm glad the Warriors didn't follow that example and kept Ivan Cleary on who was nominated the following season for coach of the year. As far as being favourite for premiers, they were favourites because of the great run Anderson guided them on towards the end of 2009 into the Grand Final!! So if you follow that logic, according to Osborne, he deserved the bullet because he upped expectations due to his own coaching first year.

There was a post in here that said they missed Kevin Kingston. I agree. IMO, Parra had a bunch of nuffies (particularly once Mortimer hit second year blues) in and around the halves. Kris Keating is a good ball runner and a nice stepper, but between them (Robson, K Keating, M Keating and Mortimer) they don't yet know how to guide a team around. Some of the kicking and organisation was aimless, and the last play execution to put players over for tries was lacking. Anderson knew it, that's why he was so keen on Quade Cooper and practically any half on the market got linked to the Eels.

There was no way possible we could have kept Kingston and as was said, Ando had no involvement with Quade Cooper.

natheel

Coach
Do you think Parra fans would rush through the gates to watch Daniel Mortimer and his 12th placed teammates? LOL

Maybe they will rush through the gates and jump on the Robson tram,LOL

LOL @ Parra without Hayne

well obviously ur on the band wagon! show some f**king passion in ur club despite whats happening u complete and utter fool

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Iv been watching the Eels play before Hayne, but not long enough to see the greats of Sterlo, Kenny, Price, etc etc.

I go to watch my team, not any particular player and id say most fans are the same.

Loudstrat

Coach
Not that it's relevent, but I can remember John McMartin going to Cronulla and being p*ssed off. I remember Price's debut season - never seen a lock like him - he was the comps best bomb leaper and catcher believe it or not.

babyg

Juniors
Jeff Wall on the front page is right. The fact they've done all this on grand final week is arrogant and selfish. Parra are back in my bad books.

seanoff

Juniors
the SMH reckon he was advised by e-mail.:o:crazy::eek:

what a gutless, soft, act that is. really? disgraceful if true.

"PARRAMATTA coach Daniel Anderson learnt of his sacking by email" first line of the article.

Iafeta

Referee
So Iafita, if Parra missed the finals last year, Ando would still be coach? You reckon suddenly the board thought "Gee, we really CAN make the finals???" as though they had no idea before hand?

I don't know what you're driving at. If Parramatta had not made the finals last year, then I am sure consistently his performance would demand serious review. I have a bit of faith in Anderson that he would be able to correct things. This is a coach who took albeit a powerful English club to continued success, a poor New Zealand club to 3 years worth of success, who defeated the Kangaroos with the Kiwis. IMO, Daniel Anderson is a very good coach, and I guess Parramatta must have thought so by giving him the initial tenure they did.

I can only relate it to the Ivan Cleary situation. In 2009, the Warriors were ranked as one of the favourites for the premiership. Midway through the season it was quite clear this was not going to be achieved. We nearly got the wooden spoon. At that time, the Warriors re-signed Ivan Cleary (re-signed while they were performing poorly). They had faith in him as a coach. He delivered in 2010.

There are a number of clubs who go through cyclical patterns of making, and then not making the finals. I guess thats to do with the salary cap situation and smarter coaches reacting quicker to changes in tactics.

There was no way possible we could have kept Kingston and as was said, Ando had no involvement with Quade Cooper.

Understand you couldn't keep Kingston. The comment was he was a bigger loss than I think was expected on field. IMO, the Parramatta style is not that far off. You had a series of forwards who rolled forward well. The ruck was relatively tight. IMO, you missed a little bit of accuracy and execution in your play makers. Parramatta seemed to me to be able to roll down the field with ease but then just lacked that final polish.

For the record, I think Kearney would do a good job as Parramatta coach. He was a hell of a good player, a smart footballer, and I believe some have underestimated (though his test players definitely have not) what he has brought to the Kiwis.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Understand you couldn't keep Kingston. The comment was he was a bigger loss than I think was expected on field. IMO, the Parramatta style is not that far off. You had a series of forwards who rolled forward well. The ruck was relatively tight. IMO, you missed a little bit of accuracy and execution in your play makers. Parramatta seemed to me to be able to roll down the field with ease but then just lacked that final polish.

For the record, I think Kearney would do a good job as Parramatta coach. He was a hell of a good player, a smart footballer, and I believe some have underestimated (though his test players definitely have not) what he has brought to the Kiwis.

The hope with Kearney coming is it might help with us signing Cronk in 2012.

Our attitude seemed to change when we got into the opposition 20, side to side, try to pry them open. Spread it to Tahu, get Tahu to run back on the inside for a pass to Burt, which never worked.

I believe if we just had a better kicking game from our halves we would have been fine. Better kicking game, more field position, less pressure on the team more on the opposition, more points.

But here we are, we wait. We have signed Casey McGuire so hopefully our half options get better with that and Jordan Atkins to put pressure on our outside backs.

We have passed up alot of players that would have helped, Wade Grahame for example.

CrazyEel

Bench
I have read that quite often and have not bothered responding because I can't be bothered arguing but I was told pre-season we could have kept him if he was really wanted.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I have read that quite often and have not bothered responding because I can't be bothered arguing but I was told pre-season we could have kept him if he was really wanted.

No, we had $55K of the salary cap available. We had Robson and Kingston to re-sign. Because Kingston was on match payments in 09, his 2010 salary would have been $55K plus his 09 match payments. If we signed him we would have been breaching the salary cap. So we signed Robson.

sooperdooper

First Grade
The hope with Kearney coming is it might help with us signing Cronk in 2012.

Our attitude seemed to change when we got into the opposition 20, side to side, try to pry them open. Spread it to Tahu, get Tahu to run back on the inside for a pass to Burt, which never worked.

I believe if we just had a better kicking game from our halves we would have been fine. Better kicking game, more field position, less pressure on the team more on the opposition, more points.

But here we are, we wait. We have signed Casey McGuire so hopefully our half options get better with that and Jordan Atkins to put pressure on our outside backs.

We have passed up alot of players that would have helped, Wade Grahame for example.

I mean sure Wade Graham has promise but why would we sign a young 5/8 when we have a few of them?

CrazyEel

Bench
No, we had $55K of the salary cap available. We had Robson and Kingston to re-sign. Because Kingston was on match payments in 09, his 2010 salary would have been $55K plus his 09 match payments. If we signed him we would have been breaching the salary cap. So we signed Robson.
I know all that was said, I was even told it was going to be said, I just told you what I was told before it even happened but it's not worth arguing about.

Latest posts