What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did Jarrod Croker choke ?

Did Jarrod croker choke when kicking for goal ?

• yes

Votes: 157 64.1%
  • no

Votes: 88 35.9%

• Total voters

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn't turn kicking at goal into a binomial result a la tossing a coin when the revealed probabilities show that it's usually upwards of 70% of being a goal.
I doubt it's that high over the course of history. Goalkicking at 70% has only been a phenomenon of the last decade or so. A lot of goalkickers 100 years ago struggled to get to 50%.[/quote]As to possible outcomes there are several from a penalty kick. There's a score, there's miss and out on the full, there's a miss and regathered by the opposition, there's a miss and regather by your own team. And this is before we take in to account hitting the posts.[/quote]We're not referring to what happens after the goal kick here, these are irrelevant, we're referring to his chance of a successful kick. Those factors you mention have no impact on the kickers ability to kick a goal or not.

Dragon

Coach
If there are two outcomes, then, probability wise, they are both as likely as each other. Moreso when the area of success is smaller.

implied-facepalm.jpg

Apey

Staff member
Two outcomes, success & failure for rolling a particular number on a die, say 6.

1st outcome: Rolling a 6 on a die.
2nd outcome: Not rolling a 6 on a die.

So since there's only two relevant outcomes, does that mean the probability of each is 50%...?

Two outcomes, success & failure for rolling a particular number on a die, say 6.

1st outcome: Rolling a 6 on a die.
2nd outcome: Not rolling a 6 on a die.

So since there's only two relevant outcomes, does that mean the probability of each is 50%...?

Yeah but the other results you can get 1,2,3,4,5 each have their own individual probabilities don't they

You can kick the goal, or miss. What else is there?

RockWheel

Bench
Yeah but the other results you can get 1,2,3,4,5 each have their own individual probabilities don't they

Well there are contributing factors like angle, distance, wind etc. Otherwise goalkickers would all have an average success of 50%...

Apey

Staff member

They have their own probabilities.

The example is based on the probability of succeeding (rolling a 6, 1/6 probability) and failing (not rolling a 6, 5/6 probability), an event that only has two possible outcomes, similar to succeeding/missing a conversion kick.

Yes there are more outcomes within those outcomes, but it doesn't really matter - they're just used to calculate the probability of the initial two outcomes.

Similar to when you miss a conversion kick, you can miss to the left, miss to the right, miss between the posts but under the bar or not even making the distance at all. Each of those have their own probabilities as well (although they aren't deterministic like rolling a die) however they're still satisfying the definition of missing the goal (not rolling a 6 on the die).

Last edited:

dontbro

Juniors
Pete Cash, I gave you a wrap on your intelligent, lucid, well-thought statements in relation to the knuckleheads who believe a sexual assault complainant should be charged with making a false report simply because her alleged assailant is found not guilty. I thought you would have done at LEAST Year 12 legal studies.

But you skipped your general maths classes. :?

SET2JT

Juniors
So from what i gather every kick has a 50/50 chance of going through, which is 50%. So we change 50% to odds at the TAB. Does this mean i could get $2 for every kick even in front?

RHCP

Bench
Am I the only that's amazed this thread has evolved into such an intense debate about mathematics?

Charlie124

First Grade
Theres nothing to solve mate, the only people who seem to be having problems with this basic, primary school level maths are you and madunit.

I have an experiment for you, take all of your plates, bowls and glasses out of the cupboard and into your driveway and one by one throw them into the air. If you manage to come back inside with 50% of them unbroken (since they have just as likely chance of breaking as staying intact) we will all admit we're wrong.

Go on, ill wait.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Theres nothing to solve mate, the only people who seem to be having problems with this basic, primary school level maths are you and madunit.

I have an experiment for you, take all of your plates, bowls and glasses out of the cupboard and into your driveway and one by one throw them into the air. If you manage to come back inside with 50% of them unbroken (since they have just as likely chance of breaking as staying intact) we will all admit we're wrong.

Go on, ill wait.

You should specify that they can't be plastic. I doubt Raiders_Premiers is allowed to use glass or ceramic kitchenware.

:lol: Everybody is flinging sh*t saying we're wrong yet I doubt any of you could give an explanation like Apey has

Of course when you don't know something or cannot contribute, that's usually what happens

Latest posts