What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disgraceful Shameful NRL Signing

kmav23

Juniors
I support a club that has given a few blokes a "second chance", so in one way it would be pretty hypocritical of me to say this is wrong whilst cheering on guys who have the same opportunity that this guy is being given.

Glad it isn't my club giving this guy the second chance though. Stupid mistakes don't usually have such intent as kicking the sh*t out of a girl to cause a miscarriage. Unbelievable he only got 5 months in prison - however that is not the fault of the guy, nor the Warriors, nor the NRL.

He's entitled to his second chance. Amazed that the Warriors gave it to him though...

Some crimes you do not give a second chance.

This crosses the line !

The NRL reputation will be damaged...the game does not need him .. he will only damage the game... and lose sponsors

kmav23

Juniors
Falaou / Sonny bill changed sports and was abused and people said never let him back to NRL

JoeD

First Grade
Has anyone mentioned the "a" word yet? Hundreds of abortions happen every day and noone seems to upset about it, and if you do get upset about it you are labelled a religious nutter.

joshreading

Staff member
Whilst I agree that Five months is completely inadequate, that part is not in our or the NRL's power to rule over. We are not talking of a year ago or even 2 or 3 years BUT EIGHT YEARS AGO. If he has been consistent, then of course he should be given another go.

Rugby League is likely one of the few areas in which he can create a positive future that will keep him (and his Children) out of poverty and a slide into crime. The NRL should ultimately be congratulated for enabling positive futures when people have done terrible things and have had terrible things done to them. The greatest examples are always those that have overcome not only issues against them but also pits they have built for themselves.

The Joker

Juniors
Those on the left of society will always defend the offender's actions and believe in rehabilitation and second chances regardless of how heinous they maybe.

Personally I believe if the right are so strongly against Metcalf being allowed to play rugby league again make sure voice be heard beyond the forum. Contact the media, the NZ Warriors, the sponsors of the NZ Warriors such as Vodafone, the NRL and the NRL's sponsors to put pressure on the Warriors to release him. With enough objection it will happen.

Hooch

Juniors
Kicking your girlfriend in the guts to induce an abortion.. who the f**k are these disgusting merkins who'd defend that as an 'error of judgement'.. I remember when I was 15.. I was rational, knew right from wrong.

Go ask the vic and her family what they think... cancel his contract. All this bullsh*t about this greasy little pricks rehabilitation, as if he ever was a victim.

He said it himself, he's not proud of what he did. Fair enuff, u got a stupidly lenient sentence due to your age, but professional football career is over now and f**k off... and thats getting off lightly.

Slackboy72

Coach
Yeah this is a tough one.

It's a bit like Michael Vick in the NFL.
Repugnant piece of work. But because he can play top grade football he gets forgiven by one set of fans. He shouldn't be playing but who's to say he can't.

I guess my feelings are the same on Metcalf.
He may have served his time but he should never be forgiven for what he did.

Evenflow

Bench
I'm not gonna bitch and moan at those who say he should be allowed to play as it's their opinion and are entitled to it but i can't say i'm overly comfortable about letting him play. I was hardly an angel when i was 15 and did some stupid sh*t as i'm sure we all did but i didn't go out and kick my girlfriend in the guts with the intent of kiiling my unborn child ffs. He may have "only" been 15 but that's more than old enough to know that's just plain f**king wrong on every single level imaginable.

If this was just the usual run of the mill fight like teenagers get into and he was sentenced for assault on another male i wouldn't think twice about saying let him play, but it wasn't. It was a pre-meditated attack on an innocent 15 year old girl he clearly had no disregard for hurting while attempting to end another life and the difference is massive IMO.

I'm all for second chances and don't think he should be made a social pariah, of course he should be able to get a job, earn a wage like the rest of us so he can support his family which is his and everybody elses right to do. That said i don't see playing in the NRL as so much of a right as what it is a privilege and a privilege i don't think he should have after what he did.

Big Pete

Referee
:lol: Some of you get all up in arms when a player dare changes codes yet this is okay?

What he did was disgusting and hiring him back sends all kinds of wrong messages.

Knownothing

Juniors
I believe that redemption is possible for even the worst of crimes. However, I would like to think that the young woman whom this thug attacked should be asked whether or not she is happy to see him parading around on a very public stage, or whether he would be better suited doing something that will give him the life skills that he so obviously lacked when growing up.

A few years of professional sport is hardly going to help him in his rehabilitation, unless he gets a lot of supervision and is required to do some sort of further training/education.

hitman82

Bench
If he'd been 25 when he committed the crime, I'd feel very different about it.

But to me, and this is a matter of opinion, a 15 year old is not a mature adult, and can make ridiculous decisions when under stress.

The crime was obviously disgusting, but he is a man now and has a family to support.

It sounds like Shaun has gone to great lengths to get his life back on track, and I see no reason why he shouldn't be allowed his best chance at making a decent living.

Here's an article with a bit more background in it:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sunday-news/news/4788235/Jailed-league-stars-lifeline
LEAGUE sensation Shaun Metcalf, who went from the youngest-ever player to turn out for the Warriors to a prison inmate at 16, has broken his silence on his return to grace.
"For the first couple of years after I got out of jail, I could barely watch it [league]," Metcalf told Sunday News, tears rolling down his cheeks. "You don't really appreciate what you have until it is taken from you.
"It is everything I ever wanted to do, to become a fulltime footy player. I want that more than anything."
Now 23, Metcalf was jailed with two teenage friends in May 2004. The trio were involved in an attack on Metcalf's pregnant 16-year-old ex-girlfriend.
He spent five-and-a-half months in Wellington's Rimutaka Prison's youth unit. His budding professional league career faced a life sentence, with him being banned from travelling overseas.
But Metcalf has been thrown a lifeline after a successful campaign, spearheaded by his manager [former Kiwis coach] Frank Endacott and retired High Court judge and ex-New Zealand Rugby League chairman Trevor Maxwell, had the ban lifted in November.
"Being able to go to Aussie opens up so many pathways... it reignites my dream," said Metcalf, a star for the Warriors' feeder club, the Auckland Vulcans, in the NSW Cup competition for the past four seasons despite having only been able to play home games.
"I had to get a full police report over the last seven years to see if I had been in any trouble, or if I had been in the scope or around trouble."
Previous rejections by Australian immigration authorities had been shattering.
"All year you get your hopes up when the application is going through, and then all of a sudden you get this one simple `No' and the whole world comes tumbling down again," he said.
"It feels like you have committed an offence again and again and again."
Metcalf and his two friends were all imprisoned for the August 2003 attack on Metcalf's ex-girlfriend.
The teen – who had told him she was having his baby – was left bruised on the ground but protected her unborn child by wrapping her arms around her stomach, which was kicked repeatedly in the attack.
The trio pleaded guilty to attempting to procure an abortion, aggravated robbery and injuring with intent.

Metcalf and one of his friends were sentenced to 18 months' jail. The other friend, who didn't take part in the beating, was jailed for 15 months.
"I have never been proud of what I did, how I acted and the way I acted," Metcalf said. "I was 15 then. I was young, I was frigging dumb.
"I am deeply sorry for the actions I took to try and resolve a problem that wasn't even that big of an issue. I don't know how I came around to doing something like that."
Metcalf said at the time of the attack his "head was in the clouds" with people artificially inflating his sense of self-importance because he was a rising league sensation.
"The biggest lesson is being on top of the world one day, then right at the pits. It is not just about starting again, you feel like you are six feet under trying to dig your way out," he said.
"The reality is, you have to deal with the consequences that you bring on yourself. I'm 23 now, it's eight years on and I have grown up. I have sat around for the last eight years thinking about what I have done... and I don't think I should be punished any more.
"I know what I did was wrong and I understand that there are consequences. [But] I have to live for tomorrow, not for yesterday."
Metcalf's commitment to chasing his NRL dream, plus providing a future for his partner and their six-year-old twins, sees him start work at 3am to drive meat delivery trucks. After finishing work at 10am, he has a fitness workout before a mid-afternoon sleep, time with his twins, then Auckland Vulcans training sessions.
His "driving force" is repaying the faith, love and support of his family.
"Knowing what I had, and what I could have had for my family right now, is the biggest let-down for myself," Metcalf said.
"I want to try and give my kids and family a real good life. [My partner] stuck with me and has been my rock... whenever I have needed someone to talk to, she has been there.
"My partner and my parents, they are always trying to help me get to where I have always wanted to be."
He was also grateful for the support of his employer, his workmates and friends and associates in the rugby league community. "Without it, I don't think I would have kept on going."
Metcalf was also helped on his road to redemption by former All Black enforcer Norm Hewitt, who visited him in jail.
"He used to come into the prison and take us for trainings in the mornings," Metcalf said.
"He helped me understand more about what I had done, to take ownership of it, what I could do about it that wouldn't just benefit me but benefit my family as well.
"He was always always willing to listen... not just to me, but to all the boys."
The pair still keep in touch via text messages.
Metcalf is itching to achieve the league stardom that seemed just around the corner a long seven years ago.
"This NRL dream is not just mine... I do it for others in this household.
"I am not giving myself another two years to make it... it is kind of all or nothing right now."

BunniesMan

Immortal
Surely we draw the line somewhere. Why the f**k do we want this lowlife pathetic thug taking part in our game? Playing footy at the elite level is not a right, it is a privilege and as utterly disgusting as what he did is, it's also disgusting to welcome him back.

He should have been told to f**k off and get a trade or something. He doesn't deserve to play in the NRL.

Auckland4ever

Juniors
Some nice hysteria in this thread.

The guy will get a second chance, which may or may not include some 1st grade game time. This story will blow over.
The NRL, on the other hand, will keep on keeping on, as huge numbers of people watch it for entertainment, not as something that has to satisfy their own personal moral compasses, not as something they look to for moral guidance. As long as huge numbers of people are watching, there will be corporate interest.

Danish

Referee
This 16 year old was banned from the game for 20 years after kicking a player on the ground during a grand final in 2009:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...rand-final-fight/story-e6frep5x-1225778401395

Funnily enough I don't recall any blow ups about it when it occurred about how unjust it was and that he should have been allowed to get on with his life.

Why then should this piece of sh*t be allowed to play in the NRL after committing essentially the same offence, but this time on a pregnant woman??

BunniesMan

Immortal
:lol: Some of you get all up in arms when a player dare changes codes yet this is okay?

What he did was disgusting and hiring him back sends all kinds of wrong messages.
This. According to some people, Folau and Hunt deserve a life ban from the game for playing a different code. But this prick can lure a 15 year old girl to a park and assault her to try and force an abortion, and letting him play is fine. Some people's priorities are f**ked up.

Gippsy

Bench
That crime is one of the worst I have ever heard of.

But if, as the article says, he shows true remorse I believe he should be given a second chance.

Although we live in a secular society we are fortunate that generally Christian values still apply, and that includes forgiveness. But, forgiveness is dependant on being truly repentant and only he can answer if he is. Let's hope so.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Surely we draw the line somewhere. Why the f**k do we want this lowlife pathetic thug taking part in our game? Playing footy at the elite level is not a right, it is a privilege and as utterly disgusting as what he did is, it's also disgusting to welcome him back.

He should have been told to f**k off and get a trade or something. He doesn't deserve to play in the NRL.

:shock: I agree with BunniesMan. The world is going crazy