What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disgraceful Shameful NRL Signing

BunniesMan

Immortal
^ Was just about to mention the fact that on-field offenses are treated completely differently... IE not by the justice system.

The situation is what it is:
Blame the Warriors management for signing him if you want.
Blame the NZ justice system (and I agree on this point) if you think he got too little time.

However, Shaun isn't doing anything wrong by pursuing his career.

In my opinion he's pretty brave to be putting himself in the public eye after what he did.

Sounds like a changed man to me, and deserves a chance.
With the kid personally my issue isn't him trying to come back. He disgusts me for what he did but I'm not saying he should have a self imposed ban. Obviously if the possibility is there he'll try and make it back.

I'm saying the club should have banned him or if they were too gutless to and put themselves ahead of the good of the game, the NRL should have stepped in. In terms of the signing itself, my issue is with the Warriors and the NRL.

Brutus

Referee
Horrible, horrible crime, and he will live with it for the rest of his life. But should he be punished for the rest of his life? He was pretty much just a kid. He got handed a pretty pissweak sentence but he's served the sentence he was given, and now has a family. By the sounds of it he's turned his life around. Give him a chance to prove himself

Probably not, but he can go find another form of employment.

Rugby league doesn't need the grief.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Yeah, my whole problem with this has always been the Warriors, or more a case of the conflicting media reports.

Pre Season - Scurrah says there's no chance of the Warriors signing Metcalf after he appeared for them in a trial against Burleigh.

Round 3 - Ropati goes down with a knee injury, ruling him out for the season.

A week later - Metcalf (a centre) signs.

Ugh, it just looks so bad when you put those 3 together.

God-King Dean

Immortal
People who are against this obvious don't realise the big picture: that he is a potential bargain on Supercoach.

hitman82

Bench
Yeah, my whole problem with this has always been the Warriors, or more a case of the conflicting media reports.

Pre Season - Scurrah says there's no chance of the Warriors signing Metcalf after he appeared for them in a trial against Burleigh.

Round 3 - Ropati goes down with a knee injury, ruling him out for the season.

A week later - Metcalf (a centre) signs.

Ugh, it just looks so bad when you put those 3 together.

Yeah sounds pretty bad.

Do you have the exact quote from Wayne?

If it was merely something like "No, the Warriors are not looking at signing him" ...that would leave the door open somewhat. In fact, usually that means a club is in the process of arranging the deal haha.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Yeah sounds pretty bad.

Do you have the exact quote from Wayne?

If it was merely something like "No, the Warriors are not looking at signing him" ...that would leave the door open somewhat. In fact, usually that means a club is in the process of arranging the deal haha.

That's what I keep telling myself, much like Tahu who signed for union right after saying he has no interest in going to union.

The fact Metcalf even played in a trial would suggest they were giving it a dry run, not just for him personally, but also the rest of the team and how they accepted him.

The quote came from the nzherald website, but can't find the article to see exactly what it says.

Ike E Bear

Juniors
I don't think the NRL actually needs to be involved.

If the Warriors had enough members writing in and saying they didn't want the guy at the club (and would probably not renew if he was a Warrior in the future) then that would sort the issue out and fairly quickly.

What he did was totally beyond the pale and, no, I don't think the legal system dealt with him accordingly.

But at the end of the day, I think the club will persist with him unless fans tell them that it's unacceptable.

I'm fine with him getting on with his life, but let him get a normal job. I'd have a lot of trouble supporting a team he was playing in. A sporting career is a privilege that hinges completely on the support of fans ... I don't watch television shows I don't like and I don't want to cheer for footballers I find totally repulsive.

This is all just my personal opinion, of course.

hitman82

Bench
That's what I keep telling myself, much like Tahu who signed for union right after saying he has no interest in going to union.

The fact Metcalf even played in a trial would suggest they were giving it a dry run, not just for him personally, but also the rest of the team and how they accepted him.

The quote came from the nzherald website, but can't find the article to see exactly what it says.
Found it:

http://www.bordermail.com.au/news/n...nder-free-to-try-his-luck-in-nrl/2081328.aspx
But the Warriors, who have kept an eye on Metcalf's form, are unlikely to offer him anything. Chief executive Wayne Scurrah said: ''It's not something we are considering for now, or for the future. We wish him well for the future and it's good he has the opportunity to play on both sides of the Tasman.''

Yeah, so I take that as sounding like a no, but still worded so it could be taken back at a later stage - which it has. Well-worded actually.

kmav23

Juniors
sorry someone please tell me why he doesnt have a life ban from the game ????

NRL needs to step in....

this is going to blow up big time...

hitman82

Bench
sorry someone please tell me why he doesnt have a life ban from the game ????

NRL needs to step in....

this is going to blow up big time...
TBH I think, as seen in this thread, most people are willing to see him get another chance.

Maybe you should write to the NRL and Warriors HQ.

Wato

Juniors
This is a disgrace, he should never play league at the elite level again. I ask the people supporting his return one question would you accept this behavior from someone in David Gallops position and if not why would you accept it from anybody else involved in the game? Whether he/she plays harold mathews, nrl or sits on a club/nrl board this behavior should not be tolerated in our game considering the issues over the past ten years and a moral judgment must be made.

age.s

First Grade
I'm not gonna bitch and moan at those who say he should be allowed to play as it's their opinion and are entitled to it but i can't say i'm overly comfortable about letting him play. I was hardly an angel when i was 15 and did some stupid sh*t as i'm sure we all did but i didn't go out and kick my girlfriend in the guts with the intent of kiiling my unborn child ffs. He may have "only" been 15 but that's more than old enough to know that's just plain f**king wrong on every single level imaginable.

If this was just the usual run of the mill fight like teenagers get into and he was sentenced for assault on another male i wouldn't think twice about saying let him play, but it wasn't. It was a pre-meditated attack on an innocent 15 year old girl he clearly had no disregard for hurting while attempting to end another life and the difference is massive IMO.

I'm all for second chances and don't think he should be made a social pariah, of course he should be able to get a job, earn a wage like the rest of us so he can support his family which is his and everybody elses right to do. That said i don't see playing in the NRL as so much of a right as what it is a privilege and a privilege i don't think he should have after what he did.

Completely agree with every word.

Usain Bolt

Bench
Gonna be awkward at training considering the victims cousin is a fulltime Warriors player as well. Wonder how he feels about this?

Latest posts