What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disgraceful Shameful NRL Signing

Packy

Bench
It's such a grey tricky issue. It was a disgusting act no doubt, and seven years isn't that long a time really.

At the same time, I am a big believer in forgiveness being a virtue. So congratulations to the Warriors for that. They must believe that they have a reformed human on their hands or I am sure they wouldn't go near him. Perhaps part of his wage couldgo towards womens shelters or a family charity to help ease the moralistic burdon many of us seem to carry with this?

But no. I wouldn't want him in my team.

redvscotty

First Grade
I was a frustrated teenager once. I did not kick a pregnant woman while she was down in attempt to make her miscarry.

I can now live my life however I please.

There is just sh*t you know you shouldn't do, I don't care where you come from or your upbringing, it just shouldn't happen.

kmav23

Juniors
It's such a grey tricky issue. It was a disgusting act no doubt, and seven years isn't that long a time really.

At the same time, I am a big believer in forgiveness being a virtue. So congratulations to the Warriors for that. They must believe that they have a reformed human on their hands or I am sure they wouldn't go near him. Perhaps part of his wage couldgo towards womens shelters or a family charity to help ease the moralistic burdon many of us seem to carry with this?

But no. I wouldn't want him in my team.

Why congratulations to the Warriors ?

If he was fringe player do you think they will help him out ?

Please they lowered the moral standards to let him play.

If she was the Owners or coaches daughter do you think he will be playing ?

betcats

Referee
thats a disgusting crime. Ive got no problem with him being given a second chance but i will always think he is scum.

This 16 year old was banned from the game for 20 years after kicking a player on the ground during a grand final in 2009:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...rand-final-fight/story-e6frep5x-1225778401395

Funnily enough I don't recall any blow ups about it when it occurred about how unjust it was and that he should have been allowed to get on with his life.

Why then should this piece of sh*t be allowed to play in the NRL after committing essentially the same offence, but this time on a pregnant woman??
Exactly.

It's a sad indictment on not only our sport but on society in general that these contradictions exist.

And here are some more:

Greg Bird was de-registered BEFORE he ever went on trial for allegedly assaulting his girlfirnd. Brett Stewart was suspended BEFORE he ever went on trial for alleged sexual assault. Both were acquitted, not that I necessaarily have a problem with the NRL response.

But this bloke is a CONVICTED criminal and his crime is disgusting. Yet he can now not only walk free, a disgrace initself, but earn more than your average worker and enjoy the status and lifestyle of a professional footballer thanks to the club and the game. Two things come out of this for me: 1 There is no justice. 2. Rugby League deserves its ever declining reputation.

Red Bear

Referee
wishing that a bloke who made a grievous error in judgement as a teenager wouldn't be able to pursue his dreams or career ambitions is immoral, in my opinion, too.
An error in judgement is getting pissed at the wrong time, or saying the wrong thing at the wrong time or whatever, pissing on a shopfront even. There is a difference between an 'error in judgement' and luring a pregnant woman to a park so you and your mates can repeatedly kick her in the stomach in an attempt to cause miscarraige.

I think, for the large part, reporting on league players is overblown and sensationalised to sell papers, but this is one of the rare occasions where you've f**ked your own career up. Disgusting behaviour

Frailty

First Grade
Why congratulations to the Warriors ?

If he was fringe player do you think they will help him out ?

He isn't a noted First Grade player. He has yet to make his first grade debut in an NRL premiership game - and that was 7 to 8 years ago.

He hasn't even reached fringe status.

If she was the Owners or coaches daughter do you think he will be playing ?

a) She isn't - so stop trying to use this as justification
b) This is the reason that emotions are attempted to be kept out of courts, because it leads to irrationality.

Red Bear

Referee
Has anyone mentioned the "a" word yet? Hundreds of abortions happen every day and noone seems to upset about it, and if you do get upset about it you are labelled a religious nutter.
different time scales, at the point where he and his mates did this it was well past the point where there is a heartbeat.

Large difference between a 6 weeks pregnant woman deciding to abort and a 5 month pregnant woman having three guys kicking at her stomach in an attempt to cause miscarraige

adamkungl

Immortal
Horrible, horrible crime, and he will live with it for the rest of his life. But should he be punished for the rest of his life? He was pretty much just a kid. He got handed a pretty pissweak sentence but he's served the sentence he was given, and now has a family. By the sounds of it he's turned his life around. Give him a chance to prove himself

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Don't like him, will never like him because of what he did, but at the same time his signing doesn't change the fact that the Warriors are still my club and this doesn't change my support.

Personally I wouldn't have signed him, not a chance, as much as I believe he's turned his life around and is remorseful for his actions, some things can't be forgotten.

hitman82

Bench
Exactly.

It's a sad indictment on not only our sport but on society in general that these contradictions exist.

And here are some more:

Greg Bird was de-registered BEFORE he ever went on trial for allegedly assaulting his girlfirnd. Brett Stewart was suspended BEFORE he ever went on trial for alleged sexual assault. Both were acquitted, not that I necessaarily have a problem with the NRL response.

But this bloke is a CONVICTED criminal and his crime is disgusting. Yet he can now not only walk free, a disgrace initself, but earn more than your average worker and enjoy the status and lifestyle of a professional footballer thanks to the club and the game. Two things come out of this for me: 1 There is no justice. 2. Rugby League deserves its ever declining reputation.

Key point here is these guys were both high profile top tier NRL players, and therefore tied to certain behavioral expectations, AT THE TIME they allegedly committed their offences.

Shaun Metcalf was not - if he had been I expect the NRL would have banned him from playing again.

There have been numerous players in our game who have been convicted of crimes, some serious, and some who have spent time in jail.

While the crime is horrible, the rule is the same.

Lego_Man

First Grade
Blame the mixed messages sent by society that say that the life of an unborn child is worth f**k-all.

It is possible to see how a troubled young kid could stoop to this.

Forgiveable yes, after many years. But not forgettable.

If he truly seeks redemption, i will cheer him on.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Key point here is these guys were both high profile top tier NRL players, and therefore tied to certain behavioral expectations, AT THE TIME they allegedly committed their offences.

Shaun Metcalf was not - if he had been I expect the NRL would have banned him from playing again.

There have been numerous players in our game who have been convicted of crimes, some serious, and some who have spent time in jail.

While the crime is horrible, the rule is the same.
I call bs on your point about being a top tier nrl player or not being one. What about the 16 year old kid who got a 20 year ban for kicking another player who was on the ground. How is what Metcalf did (at the same age) any better? In fact its many times worse.

I had no problem with the 20 year ban for the other kid, Metcalf should have got the same.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
its the wrriors who signed him, tghey're the ones to be looking at. I dont think he should have been given anothe ropportunity. i dont care he was 15, he tried to kill an unborn baby.

if a player was caught ebing a pedo and served a couple of years in jail and got out, would you want him at your club ebcause he's "reformed and 'served his time'"

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I call bs on your point about being a top tier nrl player or not being one. What about the 16 year old kid who got a 20 year ban for kicking another player who was on the ground. How is what Metcalf did (at the same age) any better? In fact its many times worse.

I had no problem with the 20 year ban for the other kid, Metcalf should have got the same.
For once you're on track. However one incident was on the playing field Metcalf's off it.
He should not be banned from playing league but should be not allowed to play at the highest level.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee

Did the kid who got the ban also get time in jail for assault? Genuine question. When something happens on the field it gets handled by whoever is in charge. How many times have the police run in during an Origin biff to arrest players for assault?

It may be unfiar, it may be wrong, but that's the way it is. Just like the kid got banned for what happened ON the field, Metcalf is not held to those same rules because he did it in his own personal time.

For the record, I don't disagree with your last statement. If he had of gotten a severe punishment or life ban from league nobody here would argue with it and say it's well deserved.

Brutus

Referee
Sorry, but allowing this clown back into the game is just creating unwanted bad publicity for the code.

This guy will forever be known as the thug that "did what he did".

If he starts playing well, it will only draw more attention to the gutless crime he committed. I couldn't care less if he was 15 at the time.

hitman82

Bench
^ Was just about to mention the fact that on-field offenses are treated completely differently... IE not by the justice system.

The situation is what it is:
Blame the Warriors management for signing him if you want.
Blame the NZ justice system (and I agree on this point) if you think he got too little time.

However, Shaun isn't doing anything wrong by pursuing his career.

In my opinion he's pretty brave to be putting himself in the public eye after what he did.

Sounds like a changed man to me, and deserves a chance.