What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disgraceful Shameful NRL Signing

BunniesMan

Immortal
2nd chance? Do you know anything about the story you linked to?

He's already used 3 chances.
Well still, 3 puffs of 3 joints is nowhere near as bad as what Metcalf did.

I have no problem with getting banned under a 3 strike and your out policy, but if using some pot deserves a life ban surely doing the horrible thing Metcalf did deserves the same?

DRAGONZ_RULE

Coach
2nd chance? Do you know anything about the story you linked to?

He's already used 3 chances.
Oh yeah .. so the guy who has a marijuana addiction gets banned for life because marijuana is a performance-enhancing drug and smoking it is SOOOOO socially reprehensible.

But the guy who got a couple of his mates to come with him and beat the sh*t out of his pregnant girlfriend with the intent of forcing her into a miscarriage and killing their unborn child only deserves 5 months of prison, a year of home detention and then should be allowed to play NRL again.

It all makes sense now!!

skeepe

Immortal
Well still, 3 puffs of 3 joints is nowhere near as bad as what Metcalf did.

I have no problem with getting banned under a 3 strike and your out policy, but if using some pot deserves a life ban surely doing the horrible thing Metcalf did deserves the same?

The player in questions wasn't banned by the NRL, he was banned by ASADA.

You sheer ignorance of the topic you're trying to argue is staggering.

skeepe

Immortal
Oh yeah .. so the guy who has a marijuana addiction gets banned for life because marijuana is a performance-enhancing drug and smoking it is SOOOOO socially reprehensible.

But the guy who got a couple of his mates to come with him and beat the sh*t out of his pregnant girlfriend with the intent of forcing her into a miscarriage and killing their unborn child only deserves 5 months of prison, a year of home detention and then should be allowed to play NRL again.

It all makes sense now!!

You don't get it do you? The NRL didn't ban this guy, ASADA did. Under the terms of the anti-doping agreement the NRL have with ASADA, they have to comply with any bans that the drug agency enforces.

Keep in mind this guy had already served two separate bans of two months and two years for positive drug tests and chose to continue doing drugs.

It has nothing to do with Metcalf, and is not even remotely a similar situation.

BunniesMan

Immortal
The player in questions wasn't banned by the NRL, he was banned by ASADA.

You sheer ignorance of the topic you're trying to argue is staggering.

You don't get it do you? The NRL didn't ban this guy, ASADA did. Under the terms of the anti-doping agreement the NRL have with ASADA, they have to comply with any bans that the drug agency enforces.

Keep in mind this guy had already served two separate bans of two months and two years for positive drug tests and chose to continue doing drugs.

It has nothing to do with Metcalf, and is not even remotely a similar situation.
Mate noone said it is done by the same people. But if ASADA can have the balls to hand out life bans for doing a bit of pot why can't the NRL man up and ban someone for life for something that well and truly deserves it.

skeepe

Immortal
Mate noone said it is done by the same people. But if ASADA can have the balls to hand out life bans for doing a bit of pot why can't the NRL man up and ban someone for life for something that well and truly deserves it.

](*,)

DRAGONZ_RULE

Coach

No, you are the one who doesn't get it, you fool.

This is the exact point:

If an external agency is willing to ban someone from playing sport for the rest of their life due to recreational drug use which is harming nobody else, the NRL should be jumping over backwards to ban someone from playing their code for the rest of that person's life when they have tried to murder their own unborn child and committed pre-meditated grievous bodily harm on their pregnant girlfriend.

You are such a muppet.

shiznit

Coach
im undecided on the whole issue...

i can see both arguments.

im all for 2nd chances... but this is some serious sh*t.

i would probably say to let him play... but mainly because i feel the NRL shouldn't be meddling in issues which are outside the realm of Rugby League in Australia.

If he's served his sentence... no matter what your feelings are on it... i dont know if im comfortable with the NRL adding any further punishments. unless your actions have had direct impact on your ability to do your job i dont see a reason why a governing body should be able to ban you. or perhaps if you have broken a certain professional oath

but thats just me... i can the argument the other way... ie about the image of the game.

Lossy

Juniors
Which player is her cousin?

Understandable curiosity but please tread carefully. As far as I can tell she has never been named. Automatic name suppression I believe.

Given what she has been through we need to make sure we respect her and her family's privacy. Naming names openly has the potential to erode that.

Collateral

Coach
He did his time. Should be given another chance...he was young and stupid and hopefully he has turned his life around. Would you prefer he get banned from football (his job) where he can change his life for the better and become an advocate for troubled youths?
I guess you would rather he fall back onto nothing and possibly fall back into a life of crime where he could become a risk again? Or should we lock him up and throw away the key? A lot of people can turn their life around.

Hutty1986

Immortal
He should never have been signed and he's lucky he got such a farce of a prison "sentence." It doesn't matter whether he's f**king 15 or 55

skeepe

Immortal
No, you are the one who doesn't get it, you fool.

This is the exact point:

If an external agency is willing to ban someone from playing sport for the rest of their life due to recreational drug use which is harming nobody else, the NRL should be jumping over backwards to ban someone from playing their code for the rest of that person's life when they have tried to murder their own unborn child and committed pre-meditated grievous bodily harm on their pregnant girlfriend.

You are such a muppet.

The external agency didn't ban him for recreational drug use, they banned him for failing a drug test on three separate occasions. The differences are slight, but they are there. The external agency is bound by the World Anti-Doping Code, developed by WADA, which states that any player that fails three in-competition drug tests must receive a lifetime ban.

While you could argue that it was designed to catch doping cheats and instead caught someone it wasn't intended to catch, it's irrelevant to the case. ASADA, while the enforcers of said ban, have absolutely no say in the length or severity of it. They are bound by a worldwide code to enforce a lifetime ban.

What you are in essence saying is that the fact that someone was stupid enough to continue doing drugs after twice being caught and told a third positive test would mean a lifetime ban was given said lifetime ban, which was mandatory under a worldwide code means that another person who committed a horrible but completely different crime should be banned despite there being no obligation to do so?

And I'm the one who doesn't get it?

Lossy

Juniors
The external agency didn't ban him for recreational drug use, they banned him for failing a drug test on three separate occasions. The differences are slight, but they are there. The external agency is bound by the World Anti-Doping Code, developed by WADA, which states that any player that fails three in-competition drug tests must receive a lifetime ban.

While you could argue that it was designed to catch doping cheats and instead caught someone it wasn't intended to catch, it's irrelevant to the case. ASADA, while the enforcers of said ban, have absolutely no say in the length or severity of it. They are bound by a worldwide code to enforce a lifetime ban.

What you are in essence saying is that the fact that someone was stupid enough to continue doing drugs after twice being caught and told a third positive test would mean a lifetime ban was given said lifetime ban, which was mandatory under a worldwide code means that another person who committed a horrible but completely different crime should be banned despite there being no obligation to do so?

And I'm the one who doesn't get it?

Keep going, Skeepey. You're doing great.

kmav23

Juniors
He did his time. Should be given another chance...he was young and stupid and hopefully he has turned his life around. Would you prefer he get banned from football (his job) where he can change his life for the better and become an advocate for troubled youths?
I guess you would rather he fall back onto nothing and possibly fall back into a life of crime where he could become a risk again? Or should we lock him up and throw away the key? A lot of people can turn their life around.

how about being a bricklayer or millions of other jobs...?

NRL repuation will be damaged...

Can Dennis Fergurson play NRL if his good enough and served his time ?

No - because what he done was disgraceful beyond forgiveness of morality

Latest posts