What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do we actually need a Mongrel Prop?

jenninga

First Grade
We need a few big tuff mongrel props ASAP. Our forwards are soft, small and weak.
Creagh,hunt,ah mah,vea,prior all have to go there a waste of money.
Dragons should give an open cheque book to ben mataulino and find another forward
And sign them up.
Our forwards get bashed and bullied all the time

Our forwards are gutsy,not soft,but are not intimidating.We need to replace Weyman who used to be that intimidating forward.
We have been overpowered late in too many games because we don't have the size and steel,last night was the perfect example.
It's unfair to label our forwards soft and weak.

Mr Red

First Grade
Our forwards are gutsy,not soft,but are not intimidating.We need to replace Weyman who used to be that intimidating forward.
We have been overpowered late in too many games because we don't have the size and steel,last night was the perfect example.

what we have witnessed the last 2 seasons is EXACTLY what most of us predcited would happen after losing SMith, Saffy, Costigan, Scott. there is no aggression or intimidation what so ever.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
what we have witnessed the last 2 seasons is EXACTLY what most of us predcited would happen after losing SMith, Saffy, Costigan, Scott. there is no aggression or intimidation what so ever.

Your spot on Red re the loss of Smith and co......the only aggression that's left in this club at the moment is off the field by the supporters, and that's levelled at the imposter of a coach

Father Ted

First Grade

That is exactly right..Our tackles don't sting like they should so people feel free to run hard at us..

furball

Juniors

And despite the good recruitment so far for next year this has yet to be addressed. This isn't new. The loss of Smith and Costigan took away the only two "hitters" we had and since then opposition forwards do hitups with no fear.

Godz Illa

Coach
I still think it's overrated.

Even with a huge Kasiano player it wouldnt have made a difference last night. Canterbury have the the halves and (especially) a hooker capable of utilising these big men and getting them the ball at the right times. With Fien and (especially) Rein we'd have no such luxury.

I maintain that with the right halves and (ESPECIALLY) hooker (FFS) our forwards can do the job in 2014.

twinkletoes

Juniors
It's unfair to label our forwards soft and weak.

Our forwards are not gutsy. Throughout this entire season the general consensus has been that the forwards hold there own but the backs let us down. I think this is wrong. Forwards lay the platform for success. The Dragons have been soft up the middle all season and have not dominated any other pack in the comp. Their defence up the middle has been extremely poor giving away many soft tries. Last night against the Dogs was typical...that's why we aren't winning games. Fien is not a half and we have no speed or penetration in the centres as well...but unless the forwards aim up it won't matter who you have in the backline.

That's why I think we need some significant reinforcements in the forwards...apart from Thompson who should definitely help, but won't be enough. No matter who we have have in the backs unless the forwards improve their defence and dominate other teams we will be going nowhere. We need forwards who know how to tackle their guts out...sadly this is lacking. I think on average we let about 22 points a game against us...

Ben Creagh I'm afraid is a shadow of his former self and gives no inspiration as captain. The other forwards were all missing in action last night.

Enough has been said about the coach. But once again the Dragons were not fired up when they started the match and were behind after 10 minutes. The coach's soft demeanour is not enough to motivate and fire this team up...he should at this stage of the season be breathing fire and brimstone...but he just accepts poor performances week after week.

Father Ted

First Grade

Even with a huge Kasiano player it wouldnt have made a difference last night. Canterbury have the the halves and (especially) a hooker capable of utilising these big men and getting them the ball at the right times. With Fien and (especially) Rein we'd have no such luxury.

I maintain that with the right halves and (ESPECIALLY) hooker (FFS) our forwards can do the job in 2014.

I hope you're the one right but to me Bennett showed us the premiership winning value of mongrel forwards and there is not one forward in our team with any real mongrel that I can find and the one most likely has obsessive compulsive disorder about being a ball playing lock.

Unless forwards dominate the halves won't have the space and time to work any magic..
Thompson will help but we need another thorough Bastard to be respected .. And Rein was nothing more than a speed bump last night , Off our four hookers he is rapidly heading to fourth spot with a bullet, add his re signing to Prices and you have two bits of Doust inspired brilliance on another wasted year..

SilentAssassin

Juniors
What do you guys think about Finucane from the dogs? Still only 21, great defence, tough, can ball play. I'd be looking at him but I know the dogs are high on him and won't let him go cheaply.

jenninga

First Grade
Your spot on Red re the loss of Smith and co......the only aggression that's left in this club at the moment is off the field by the supporters, and that's levelled at the imposter of a coach
:lol::lol::lol::lol:
At least we haven't lost our sense of humour:D

Godz Illa

Coach
I hope you're the one right but to me Bennett showed us the premiership winning value of mongrel forwards and there is not one forward in our team with any real mongrel that I can find and the one most likely has obsessive compulsive disorder about being a ball playing lock.
I think Bennett showed you need a little more than that. Those same "mongrel" forwards aren't exactly looking like premiership contenders in Newcastle, and besides, our best forward in those years was Creagh. Not the stereotypical mongrel. That said, Stockwell, de Belin, Frizzell look likely, just not as seasoned yet.

Thompson will help but we need another thorough Bastard to be respected .. And Rein was nothing more than a speed bump last night , Off our four hookers he is rapidly heading to fourth spot with a bullet, add his re signing to Prices and you have two bits of Doust inspired brilliance on another wasted year..
Agree completely.

blacksafake

First Grade
We do need a couple of good defensive forwards who don't miss.Our props seem to do alright but imo harrison & frizell seem to be the ones who miss the important tackles.Speaking of! vea had no idea last night he seemed to running around without a clue & was caught out a couple of times.We are supposedly talking to clark from souths & from what i have seen from him he doesn't miss many tackles.Why don't we just sign another raiders player in fensom!!!

st.phil

Bench

I agree re Fein - he was all time awful last night in attack and defense. Rein was poor last night...missed a heap of tackles and took some poor options. However - we apparently have the highest metres gained in the comp so the service to our go forward cannot be that bad...can it?

Mr Red

First Grade
I agree re Fein - he was all time awful last night in attack and defense. Rein was poor last night...missed a heap of tackles and took some poor options. However - we apparently have the highest metres gained in the comp so the service to our go forward cannot be that bad...can it?

i suspect our back 3 contribute heavily in meters gained. they are the best in the comp at bringing the ball back out of our end.

possm

Coach

Your right! There was little agression before Bennett brought them to the Club and little agression since they have all left the Club. You would think that our recruitment officer (Craig Young) would know better; him being a former Kangaroo rough an touph prop. The same sort of player we need.

Mr Red

First Grade
Your right! There was little agression before Bennett brought them to the Club and little agression since they have all left the Club. You would think that our recruitment officer (Craig Young) would know better; him being a former Kangaroo rough an touph prop. The same sort of player we need.

thats been the most mind boggling thing the last 2 seasons. Bennett came in and demonstrated what is needed to win a comp, and the moment he left they throw all that knowledge out the window.... i dont understand.

Father Ted

First Grade
thats been the most mind boggling thing the last 2 seasons. Bennett came in and demonstrated what is needed to win a comp, and the moment he left they throw all that knowledge out the window.... i dont understand.

No you do understand , It's the front office that don't understand.. Hope you understood that lol..:D

possm

Coach
For 2014 we need at least one hard nosed forward and we need to re-arrange our pack. My run-on forward pack would be:
New Big Hard Nosed Prop
King - Keep him he is far better than Rein
Merrin - We really can't afford the luxury of playing him at lock.
Thompson
Harrison
Greagh - No longer effective out wide.

Bench;
Stockwell
De Bellin
Frizell
Rein/Garvey

Latest posts