What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do we actually need a Mongrel Prop?

jenninga

First Grade
thats been the most mind boggling thing the last 2 seasons. Bennett came in and demonstrated what is needed to win a comp, and the moment he left they throw all that knowledge out the window.... i dont understand.

Some of the first words Bennett said when he started with us was the Dragons were a
known to be a little soft in defence,but we won't be soft from now on.He stuck to his word.

possm

Coach
So possm....have you given up on the King to five eighth quest? :p

Yea, to do this you'd need a coach in charge who can recognise the strengths and weeknesses of our squad. My main reason for proposing this is because we have 4 potential hookers and, at the moment, no suitable halfback and of course the season is a dead rubber now so why not try a few different combinations.

If Hastings was staying, I'd go as far as suggesting Hastings 7 and King 6 be given a go. Or in the event Hastings is going to the Roosters, King 6 and Quinlan/Drinkwater 7 with Fein on the bench in rotation with Rein and as backup for the halves if things go don't work out.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I wished I had a mongrel at the moment.......I'd slam it in the bathroom door ....at least the pain would be transferred from my heart.......:x

TruSaint

Referee
I think Bennett showed you need a little more than that. Those same "mongrel" forwards aren't exactly looking like premiership contenders in Newcastle, and besides, our best forward in those years was Creagh. Not the stereotypical mongrel. That said, Stockwell, de Belin, Frizzell look likely, just not as seasoned yet.

Agree completely.

Good analysis FT and Godz.
Spot on.

You can't go out and buy these so called mongrel forwards if there isn't any to buy simple the list of off contract forwards is weak at best.

Look at the names being mentioned to be moving to the Dragons Clark, Anderson and Bolton all average first graders at best the club should have been looking into the UK a little more Cooper has potential and you never know what else you might find ie Moa from the Roosters.

Saint Anger

Juniors
Run to the line with numbers supporting in order to avoid gang tackling and gain quick play the balls?

Someone needs to explain these things to the players. They can't hope to come up with these things by themselves.

Maybe we need a "coach"?

saint.nick

Coach
Our forwards are not gutsy. Throughout this entire season the general consensus has been that the forwards hold there own but the backs let us down. I think this is wrong. Forwards lay the platform for success. The Dragons have been soft up the middle all season and have not dominated any other pack in the comp. Their defence up the middle has been extremely poor giving away many soft tries. Last night against the Dogs was typical...that's why we aren't winning games. Fien is not a half and we have no speed or penetration in the centres as well...but unless the forwards aim up it won't matter who you have in the backline.

That's why I think we need some significant reinforcements in the forwards...apart from Thompson who should definitely help, but won't be enough. No matter who we have have in the backs unless the forwards improve their defence and dominate other teams we will be going nowhere. We need forwards who know how to tackle their guts out...sadly this is lacking. I think on average we let about 22 points a game against us...

Ben Creagh I'm afraid is a shadow of his former self and gives no inspiration as captain. The other forwards were all missing in action last night.

Enough has been said about the coach. But once again the Dragons were not fired up when they started the match and were behind after 10 minutes. The coach's soft demeanour is not enough to motivate and fire this team up...he should at this stage of the season be breathing fire and brimstone...but he just accepts poor performances week after week.

Every time I watch us defend our line, I notice way too many gaping holes in the middle created by our forwards

TheRev

First Grade
I think some of our issues are caused by lack of confidence too, im sure our D would be better if the blokes believed in themselves and their team, they must be struggling under pricey.

blacksafake

First Grade
What about that young prop from the dogs,David Klemmer? i think his name is.I don't know whats happened to him but he is a talent.

Latest posts