What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you want Chris Sandow at Parra?

Do you want Chris Sandow at Parra?

• Total voters

Parra

Referee
No.

But I am thinking of a playing, winning year.

For those that like losing and building, why not? WTF would it matter anyway?

This is only on-field shit.

The off-field stuff is so much more important.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
No.

But I am thinking of a playing, winning year.

For those that like losing and building, why not? WTF would it matter anyway?

This is only on-field shit.

The off-field stuff is so much more important.

britney_alone_88u3.jpg

boxhead

First Grade
If we are, good.

There's nothing wrong with driving up player prices for other clubs.

I agree, it is good in that way, but I actually am genuinely excited at the prospect of signing Sandow. Aside from Maloney, who is the only other realistic chance to sign in the halves, Sandow is our best bet and I think he would add some real aggression and ticker into this team. We have a team composed of softies, guys who you'd love to hug - aside from Justin Poore, who's pretty much the only one who even has an aggresive thought out of all our current players. Sandow really is a grub that gets in your face and really motivates your other players by leading through example.

leo9999

Juniors
i voted no on the poll, But if he's the only decent halfback available for 2012 you have to sign him, we cant just wait 2 years for a quality halfback to be off contract and us eels fans suffer more. atleast we get a halfback in which can attack and kick thats a start in the right direction, and then by the mean time if morts is still not performing we let him go and sign a five eight its as simple as that.

Eels Dude

Coach
Sandow really is a grub that gets in your face and really motivates your other players by leading through example.

In all due respect that is the one thing Sandow needs to cut out of his game. He so often rushes out of the line and puts a decent shoulder charge on... but on the very next set he'll rush out of the line and try do the same thing but fail, leave a massive gap up the middle that the attack can just run through and score off. He's done that so many times in Souths games I've watched in the past few years and cost the Bunnies a lot of games because of it. Leave the agression to the forwards Sandow just needs to do his role in halfback and keep the agression and emotion out of his game.

boxhead

First Grade
That is his problem and something that does need to be coached out of him. It's great when he puts those hits on in the correct situation, but when he does it too frequently and leaves the yawning gap it creates problems.

The thing about Sandow that differentiates him from most other halfbacks (pretty much all of them actually) is that he is incredibly physical and aggressive, qualities which I think are very rare in that playing position and if used well could be a great asset. The big step to making Sandow a top quality halfback is playing him to a partial structure so that he isn't forced to makes the wrong decisions in pressure moments, and also definitely improving his defence.

When I say aggression also I mean how he talks and pushes and shoves and all that sort of stuff. He's an egotistical little prick on the field, but not in the sort of overly 'bad' way that Hayne is, and not a grub in the 'bad' way that Ennis is. He's got an ego that makes him confident and makes him take on people twice his size which as much ferocity as someone his size. He's a grub in the sense that he will get into your face and into his opponent's face, not by saying stuff that's going to really cut into people but using his physicality as his weapon of choice.

It's the main reason I love watching him, I think it needs to semi-coached into him; let him keep it, but reign it in somewhat.

Last edited:

Craig Johnston

First Grade
i cringe when robson/mortimer kick out the ball dead in the ingoal, opposition taps at the 20 and are at our 30 metre line at the end of their set simply because we choose to contain the ball and conceed big metres because our forward defence doesn't rush or compact.

with a team like ours that resets the defensive line fairly well, sandow's rush defence could actually work. it takes alot of courage for any halfback to do what he does, and for us, that tactic could be a huge advantage because he would be creating the first roadbump alot sooner so that we could lessen the amount of metres we conceed.

sounds good in theory, but his general defence is shithouse. i voted no

cumberlandcozza

Juniors
thanks but no thanks.......can't build a winning club around him so why pay overs like he will be asking..... i can do without the shoulder charges.

ROGUE

Juniors
Also I'm assuming souths don't want him anymore, so I'd like to know who their gunning for in the way of a half?
Cozza i heard Maquire on the bsb state that he had the intention of bringing Finch back to bolster the halves at souths and also of bringing Hoffman and Lima back

cumberlandcozza

Juniors
Cozza i heard Maquire on the bsb state that he had the intention of bringing Finch back to bolster the halves at souths and also of bringing Hoffman and Lima back

Cheers, so Finch is their man. Can't see him running down O'"Connell Street to rejoin the club that axed him.

Whats was the go with FInch, did we get rid of him because he wanted too much or wasn't he part of D.As grand plan. I must admit I didn't winge too much at the time (boy was I wrong), I think it was when Morts was carving them up in the 20s and I thought he was the second coming.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
I can't believe your club is seriously contemplating throwing that much money at such an average player in Sandow.

If you were smart you would throw some money at Jacob Miller, who is behind Robert Lui and Tim Moltzen in the pecking order at the Tigers. He will end up three times the player that Sandow is.

_mUSASHI_

Juniors
At least if we sign Sandow it will save me $$ in memberships and merchandise, as I wont be spending a cent whilst he is at our club.

He is just a grub with no talent. (other than mis-timed shoulder charges)

oldmancraigy

Coach
I can't believe your club is seriously contemplating throwing that much money at such an average player in Sandow.

If you were smart you would throw some money at Jacob Miller, who is behind Robert Lui and Tim Moltzen in the pecking order at the Tigers. He will end up three times the player that Sandow is.

Ahhh yes.

That's exactly what we need to do - throw a bunch of money at a guy who is a few years away from playing first grade?

OR - we could sign Sandow now AND ALSO sign Jacob Miller?
I suppose Miller would be a fair bit cheaper... And we're currently $600k+ under the cap - so we could actually go for both of them with cash to spare!

Snoochies

First Grade
Couldn't we sign Sandow and and work on Murray? How come Murray is not being talked about, does he show any potential?

Ollie Webb

Juniors
The problem at Parramatta as I see it;
  • no half with a good short or long kicking game
  • no half that can steer the team around the park
  • heavily reliant on Hayne to ignite the attack
  • lack of variation in attack
  • outside Hayne no other player can influence a game
  • outside of Burt, no field goal kicker/vision
What Sandow can bring;
  • good kicking game both short and long + field goals (granted some might say they have been poorly timed, but he didn't come up with the mistakes or missed tackles that led the opposition to scoring)
  • he had vision to kick the field goals
  • can steer a team around the park
  • plays with variation
  • puts his body on the line in defence
  • can influence a game
We currently do not have these attributes in the team, he is much better than we have, Murray has not performed in lower grades (you can't give him an opportunity if he is not playing well- we signed the wrong half from the Roosters, Miller was the one!)
Sandow in the last 2 years has played with a team that lacked structure, we atleast have some structure.
$200-300k for a first grade half back is not crazy money!
The other halves - Thurston N/A, Wallace N/A til 2013, Mullen resigned, Cronk under contract to 2013, Miller under contract to 2013, Lui under contract to 2013, Cooper- highly unlikely to switch, Maloney- resigned.
The cupboard is bare!

The only other option is tempting Lui or Miller to seek a release from the Tigers!