What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Accept Criticism & Begin Work On 2017

BrissyRedV

Bench
I must've read and re-read that disgusting press release 15 times now. I still cannot fathom the depths of geniusation our club is reaching. It physically sickens me that something I hold dear to my heart is being destroyed from within.

since77

Juniors
I must've read and re-read that disgusting press release 15 times now. I still cannot fathom the depths of geniusation our club is reaching. It physically sickens me that something I hold dear to my heart is being destroyed from within.

Haven't felt this numb since the full time siren in 99 GF.

Our board now rivals Parramatta's in its incompetence and self aggrandisement.

Dirk whoever has come out and admitted money was the biggest motivator behind the decision. Apparently it "costs millions" to change a coaching staff.

Just to clarify something Dirk...

https://mobile.twitter.com/dirk_melton

"Senior Strategy exec and PhD candidate wanting a better society for my children. Will continue to challenge unethical behaviour associated with greed"

Does cronyism, nepotism and incompetence fall within your paradigm for "unethical behaviour associated with greed".

Obviously not... Because you are here.

Although you should fit in well.. Being previously part of the very successful 'marketing' department.

He and McGregor may have something in common.. A great ability to 'manage' people.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/a-leagu...-led-to-meltons-dismissal-20120305-1ueg2.html

'People who are able to do something well can do that thing for a living, while people who are not able to do anything that well make a living by teaching'-

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Mary is going to do his best to make us competitive....Hmmm, he allready thinks he has done that because we were tipped to come last and came 12th. So when we are tipped to come last again because of this stupid decision to retain him as head coach he will say he succeeded again. How embarassing.

I would really like it if Saints are tipped to make the 8 so when Saints finish last or second last the Board may then realise how bad they are. This statement clearly shows that the people in charge obviously don't watch any Dragons games or any NRL at all with the comment of "Mary will make a great NRL coach" and definately don't listen to the media. That is scary. They must get a special version of the game with Mary's commentary if they do watch the game which I doubt.

Old Timer

Coach
Haven't felt this numb since the full time siren in 99 GF.
Unfortunately my numbness started when Talyforth kicked the penalty goal back in 67 and alas he like so many others was a good St George Jnr we had let go.
My numbness has now turned to paralysis as this announcement can only be the precursor to even more bad news.
I thought the medias response to it was very low key considering what they were saying during the 2nd half of the season.
Hopefully our collective angst will inspire them to pick up the thread and run with it again.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
For those without access to the Sydney Morning Herald:

Mark Coyne returns, Paul McGregor to survive following Dragons review
Adrian Proszenko
Published: September 28, 2016 - 4:54PM

Mark Coyne will return to the Dragons as part of a football performance committee tasked with getting the underperforming club back on track.

Former Canterbury Bulldogs and Sydney FC CEO Dirk Melton has led a full review of St George Illawarra after a disappointing end to their premiership campaign in which they missed out on the finals. The result, following interviews with every player and staff member, is the formation of a football performance committee. Dragons legend Coyne, Melton, sports scientist Dr Craig Duncan, CEO Peter Doust, board members Graham Gulloch and Brian Johnston and NSWIS high performance director Clare Prideaux are all a part of the new initiative.

The move effectively ensures coach Paul McGregor will see out the final year of his contract and is given the resources and help required to push the Red V back up the ladder.

Dr Duncan has contributed to the drought-breaking NSW Origin win of 2014 and the the Asian Champions League victory of the Western Sydney Wanderers, while Prideaux also brings a different sporting perspective to the group. However, the biggest name is Coyne, the Queensland and Australian representative who spent over a decade at the Dragons. The 49-year-old is an astute businessman and one of the Dragons' favourite sons, making 222 appearances in the Red V during an illustrious career.

Doust commissioned the review and engaged Melton, who is a senior lecturer in the school of exercise science at the Australian Catholic University to undertake it. Melton, a former general manager of strategy and community affairs at the NSWRL, assessed every aspect of the Dragons organisation after a disappointing premiership campaign.

"I don't like to use the term review … it's more about learning and development," Melton said.

"We want to to build capabilities and ensure we have the right mix of skills looking at the football department.

"Coaching development is arguably the most important thing for any professional sports franchise.

"And if you only focus in players from a physical perspective then the players aren't going to be balanced.

"It's the balanced player who can put all of their focus into game day that will perform at their optimum."

McGregor has been under pressure after a disappointing campaign that resulted in an 11th-placed finish. However, Melton said it was important to provide support for all of the club's clipboard holders and encourage their professional development.

"Obviously last season things didn't go how all expected or would have liked and it's not responsible to cut him at the nose," Melton said.

"What is responsible from an organisation going about its business in the right way is providing the coaching staff with appropriate inputs and support.

"The cost of turning over the coach and the entire football department that goes with it cost millions.

"You often don't just roll a coach but also the assistants, the performance staff, the footy manager - it can be up to a dozen people. It's about institutionalising some IP in the Dragons so they don't bleed money at times of change."

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...following-dragons-review-20160928-grqjfx.html

j0nesy

Bench
So if I'm reading between the lines correctly - we cannot afford to sack Mary and bring in another head coach who would want to change support staff. Instead what we are going to try to do is to "develop" Mary (as a coach) and his support team by somehow investing in the group.

I must say I don't understand this move or why the review team believes that it was lack of support that has lead to an underperforming head coach.

j0nesy

Bench
Thinking about this a bit. Maybe this will result in JD becoming more involved in 1st grade in 2017 with a view to establishing him as head coach in 2018 when Mary's contract is up.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
The guy is a complete wanker.

That was the line I picked up on as well. What IP do we have that is worth keeping given we have performed so abysmally as a team? And if his aim is to institutionalize what we already have, rather than improve things, then all is lost.

Dea

Juniors
Credit where credit is due. Our club has shown some smarts when it comes to the timing of the media releases. By releasing this information late in the day it means it is in opposition to the nights Daily M interest and the following day news is focused upon the Daily M's and nobody outside of the club really cares about the Dragons management continuing their efforts to destroy the club. They have already judged our management as incompetent after falling so far and so quickly after winning the grand final as recently as 2010

Godz Illa

Coach
Hi folks, long time no see! Thought I'd poke my head in for the funeral.

You're welcome to come join me here in sweet apathy, the water is fine

Mr Red

First Grade
i wonder if the performance committee also reviewed how many millions it will cost by keeping Mary and the coaching staff? Lost revenue through reduced gate takings, lower membership renewals, lower merchandise sales and potentially loss of sponsor not wanting to be associated with a non performing club.

Add to that the potential loss of not being able to recruit top line players as they wouldnt want to get coached by Mary as that is a very career limiting move....

it seems very ironic that the main cause of the poor season was having a lot of poor players and coaching staff on the books, however in their wisdom they thought they would interview those very same under performers to try and find the answers.

I am hoping a lot of external entities were also consulted as there is no point asking the people that are the problem to provide the solution..

That was the line I picked up on as well. What IP do we have that is worth keeping given we have performed so abysmally as a team? And if his aim is to institutionalize what we already have, rather than improve things, then all is lost.

And then we have this nugget of brilliance from the 'teacher'..

"....It's about institutionalising some IP in the Dragons so they don't bleed money at times of change."

What does this mean? What are you talking about? 'Institutionalising some IP'- copyrights ? Patents?

Are we talking about systems and structures, processes .. Something that can be defined into words and referred to as 'our Club'.. Something that is different and original... That stays with us when people leave?

The successful clubs and coaches innovate to the current climate. All coaches know they can't keep their 'style' secret .. You have countless people who work for you that you skill set and advise and nurture .. And then one day they leave to better themselves .. And they take with them all the knowledge you have taught them... And just maybe make it better. This is evolution.

Forget about IP.. Think more about ADAPTATION .. Continual inbreeding is not good for any organism.

Think about culture and leadership .. These aren't thinks you can patent ..they are the combined synergies and skill sets of all stakeholders, the history, the very 'fabric' of the club and jersey.

And the reference to ..."so they don't bleed money at times of change".. This must be a only reference when someone leaves.

And here is the problem we all can't get past.. McGregor or his cronies don't have 'original thought' ... We don't need anything to be left behind when he goes... He offers nothing in terms of IP or ADAPTATION.

Everything he does harks back to 5 year old game plans..

Just empty words from the 'teacher' to try and placate the rank and file.. The very ones who have seen through this 'snow job' and are leaving in droves.

Anyway,... Dirk.. As it is your Twitter account mantra:

"... Will continue to challenge unethical behaviour associated with greed"

Does cronyism, nepotism and incompetence fall within your paradigm for "unethical behaviour associated with greed".

Obviously not... Because you are here.

Lethal25

Juniors
Credit where credit is due. Our club has shown some smarts when it comes to the timing of the media releases. By releasing this information late in the day it means it is in opposition to the nights Daily M interest and the following day news is focused upon the Daily M's and nobody outside of the club really cares about the Dragons management continuing their efforts to destroy the club. They have already judged our management as incompetent after falling so far and so quickly after winning the grand final as recently as 2010
Smart or cowardly?

Carlton

Juniors
What load of rubbish. We have a part time committee of basically non rugby league brains to develop our first grade coach and performance staff.

Have a look at Mr Meltons bio and see what you think:

The Chief Executive Officer of the NSW Rugby League (NSWRL), Mr. David Trodden, is pleased to announce the appointment to the NSWRL of a new senior executive in Dirk Melton.

Mr. Meltons role of General Manager Strategy and Community Affairs, is an all-encompassing position to assist Mr. Trodden to work in unison with the NRL to develop the overarching strategies, structures and systems to enhance the game of Rugby League at all levels within NSW.

Chief Executive Officer, Sydney FC (Sacked)

Chief Operating Officer, Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs

Executive Manager Marketing & Consumer Products, St George Illawarra Dragons (its laughable)

Commercial & Marketing Director (ANZ), Ticketek (PBL Media)

Consumer Goods

Group Strategy Manager, Goodman Fielder

Technical Brand Manager, Mars Corporation

Management Consulting

Director, The New Human Equation

Director, Dream Real Enterprises

Manager, Ernst & Young Consulting

Education

PhD (pending), University of Wollongong, Australias Social Conscience The need for enhanced institutionalization of the Third Sector to increase social capital.

MBA (Full-time), University of New South Wales

Bachelor of Engineering (Chemical), The University of Melbourne

How is any of this going to help with game plans and identifying rugby league talent and rugby league skills development?

BringTheNoise

Juniors
5446dfd38c6cf.gif